The fastest way to launch MS3?

CosmoMS3

:
MAZDASPEED3, CX5 manual
I raced a Ford Mustang 4.6L V8 the other night. I turned off the traction control and I dropped the clutch @ 3000 rpms. The rev jumped close to 7000 rpms and stayed there. With all the wheel spin going on, I up shifted to the second gear. The RPMs were above 6000 the whole time.

When I got to the third gear I finally got some grip and the needle dropped down to 4-5000 rpms. By then, the Mustang was way ahead.

I left tire marks for a good 50 ft. My feeling is that I am doing something wrong, maybe I mash the acceleration too hard too soon. I have the feeling that I may have had a better launch with the traction control on.

Can somebody with more experience tell me what is the best way to accelerate without burning out the tires needlessly? Does traction control slow you down that much?

Leave dsc/tsc on, drop in first at 2900, mash it, when you hit 5700 let off the gas just a touch and drop the clutch quickly swinging into 2nd, mash back full on, up to 5700 again (won't be long), and again barely let up and you want the clutch in for /maybe/ a half-second max as you're mashing again and into third. Keep doing this running it to 57-5800, if you need to go into 5th gear you should probably let the guy go because you'll be upwards around 85mph or so and it's been maybe 7 seconds. Time to pull back and realize you're in a 3200lb cruise missile. Do this only at the track, btw. Be a (mj).

I raced a Ford Mustang 4.6L V8 the other night. I turned off the traction control and I dropped the clutch @ 3000 rpms. The rev jumped close to 7000 rpms and stayed there. With all the wheel spin going on, I up shifted to the second gear. The RPMs were above 6000 the whole time.

When I got to the third gear I finally got some grip and the needle dropped down to 4-5000 rpms. By then, the Mustang was way ahead.

I left tire marks for a good 50 ft. My feeling is that I am doing something wrong, maybe I mash the acceleration too hard too soon. I have the feeling that I may have had a better launch with the traction control on.

Can somebody with more experience tell me what is the best way to accelerate without burning out the tires needlessly? Does traction control slow you down that much?

As soon as you 'dropped' the clutch you went wrong. If I'm in a hurry (not racing of course) I have DSC off as well, and start at the same rpm you did. The difference being you need to feather the clutch out vs dumping it. This will allow you to gain some traction in first gear. Short shift at around 5500rpm if you are flat shifting as anything higher I find leads to wheel spin for 1-2 seconds into second gear. From there on in you shouldn't lose much if any traction on shifts. Doing this, at most I'll spin the tires a bit for the first 5 feet or so.

If you lift to shift, then I'd suggest running the rpm a touch higher as you're going to likely lose boost somewhat during shifts.

I wouldn't recommend leaving DSC on as you are going to be in for one big suprise the first time it kicks in. I did try that once, and only once. I got a HUGE bang coming from the front end and total lack of power thereafter for a couple seconds. I'm assuming it was a combination of the limited slip and the DSC bleeding off boost when it detected excessive wheelspin (I had dumped the clutch on that one). So even with the DSC on, I'd suggest you feather the clutch on launch vs trying to dump it. This car takes a bit of finesse on launch vs the old 103hp mazdas in which you could rev it to 5500 rpm or so and dump the clutch for a decent launch. :)

Last edited:
Leave dsc/tsc on, drop in first at 2900, mash it, when you hit 5700 let off the gas just a touch and drop the clutch quickly swinging into 2nd, mash back full on, up to 5700 again (won't be long), and again barely let up and you want the clutch in for /maybe/ a half-second max as you're mashing again and into third. Keep doing this running it to 57-5800, if you need to go into 5th gear you should probably let the guy go because you'll be upwards around 85mph or so and it's been maybe 7 seconds. Time to pull back and realize you're in a 3200lb cruise missile. Do this only at the track, btw. Be a (mj).

Thank you. Makes a lot of sense.

Do what BlueMicaR said, but with the dsc OFF.

I'm with tigs, hold the revs at 3000 and feather the clutch a little and play with the gas and clutch to maintain traction in first, then shift at around 5500-5700 in 1st and a little higher in second

Next time (while on a closed circuit race course naturally <wink>) ask him to start from a roll...Say 15mph or so. THAT'LL be fun!

i do it different. I preload the tranny/engine. Right before you are about to launch. Yank the ebrake, put the car in gear, rev to 2900rpm, let the clutch out to where the rear end squats and hold it there. When its time to go release the ebrake and feather it out while the gas is floored. This sounds liek alot of wear and tear, but trust me it takes less than 2 seconds. I cut a 2.0 60 on stock tires everytime im at the track, the only reason why i sometimes cut high 2.1s is because i loose traction on the top of first, not at the bottom/middle. Its really wierd at first, but try it out, once you get it, ull never go back. By loading the tranny/engine u are also not shocking it with ure launch and u will not get wheel hop.

That sounds good, I'll have to try it. And laloosh, you HAVE to post those new pics of your ms3. Looks sick in your sig.

are you also shutting traction controll all the way off the one you can only do at startup? ill have to check out the e-break thing.

ehh i dont really have any good pictures to post. As for the whole traction control thing. It works when i autox....theres no difference in drag racing so i just hit the button once and leave it alone.

i do it different. I preload the tranny/engine. Right before you are about to launch. Yank the ebrake, put the car in gear, rev to 2900rpm, let the clutch out to where the rear end squats and hold it there. When its time to go release the ebrake and feather it out while the gas is floored. This sounds liek alot of wear and tear, but trust me it takes less than 2 seconds. I cut a 2.0 60 on stock tires everytime im at the track, the only reason why i sometimes cut high 2.1s is because i loose traction on the top of first, not at the bottom/middle. Its really wierd at first, but try it out, once you get it, ull never go back. By loading the tranny/engine u are also not shocking it with ure launch and u will not get wheel hop.

I will try this the next time I go to the track....in April. Boo for winter. Maybe I can find an empty road to try....

This is interesting. I think I can learn alot from it. I have been trying to figure a good way to launch the car for a while now.

Do you give it full throttle as you are feathering the clutch out, or is it halfway? What rpm should the clutch be fully out by?

As is always the case with driving a manual transmission, it's all about feel.

You should never be dumping the clutch unless you're:
1.) at the drag-strip
and 2.) your tires are warm enough to grip

Off the line, learn how to feather the clutch in first gear, with an engagement quick enough to be directly below the threshold of wheel slippage at all times. Begin at an RPM that's comfortable for you (generally 3-3500). By the time your clutch is fully engaged, you should be well into your powerband in first gear.

Back