Test drove an MS3: Impressions

Ryno

So I had already driven one once, but it was very tame city driving and the salesperson was with me. Car was reminiscint of my MSP, so I liked it. Went for a drive today and got to fly solo. So here goes:

The porter pulled the car up, and I noticed immediately that the exhaust note was almost 'burpy.' Im assuming it was because it was cold and runs pig rich, so fuel was igniting someone in the exhaust, creating small pulses. Got in the car and the CEL was on. Immediately a bad taste in my mouth. The friendly salesman said it was nothing, that if it isnt blinking it is fine, and that it is prolly from them refueling the car with it running. I didnt see them fuel it before they gave it to me, but whatever. The car is super easy to drive. Clutch releases a little higher than I am used to, but I got used to it quick. Does anyone with bigger feet think that the gas and brake pedals are awfully close? I was wearing size 12 dress shoes and I had to be careful when I first took off not to heel-toe the damn thing, but again, I got used to that. Power was pretty impressive. I took it on a backroad, revved it to 2.7K and slipped it fast, and was promptly introduced to the traction control. Got out of it,went WOT again, hit 1-2 pretty hard and BAM. Thought the transmission was going to come thru the floor. Is that due to that rear motor mount or is the tranny mount weak or is this not common at all? Either way, it was not pleasant. So anyways, whipped thru some twisties and it felt nice. Got back on the highway, hit 1-2 not as hard, no bang, then was wow'd by 2nd. It pulled pretty damn good. Hit 6K fast and then felt what the dyno sheets show. You really can feel the fall off in power over 6K. Anyways, hit 2-3 pretty hard and missed 3rd. Anyone else think the gearbox is a bit loose for a performance car? Banged when I missed 3rd, not the normal grind noise you hear, so im guessing that car has a bad tranny mount. Goosed it in 2nd again and hit 3rd around 6K and did fine. Definitely a learning curve with this gearbox coming from a shortshifted T56. Overall, I couldnt make a decision. I havent really driven anything else, and I love the concept of this car, but Im not sold on the finished product just yet. I think Ill need to drive one again before I can even think about buying one. I think the one I drove may have just been flogged on pretty good, because the whole tranny slamming issue shouldnt be happening and it can throw off the geometry of the entire driveline and I would assume make shifts more laborous. Should I go find another one to drive or is this stuff common (banging, sloshy gearbox)?

there have been people reporting loose tranny mount bolts it is possible that the car you drove had a loose bolt. My tranny never makes a bang noise, however I have missed 3rd a couple of times. Nothing aluminum bushings won't fix.

53 views and no one else can comment? Come on, im thinking about buying one of these and need more input from owners

Don't buy it. Let it rot on the lot, then us penny pinchers can get a good deal on them :D. Besides 2007.5 might bring bigger and better things.

RODSCALIP5 said:
Don't buy it. Let it rot on the lot, then us penny pinchers can get a good deal on them :D. Besides 2007.5 might bring bigger and better things.
Such as.... ??

Well your gonna have to make that decision yourself. Why let anyone talk you into it? If your not hooked after 2 drives then you may not really want the car to bad. As soon as i saw this thing I as like damn thats mine! and i bought it.

dread said:
there have been people reporting loose tranny mount bolts it is possible that the car you drove had a loose bolt. My tranny never makes a bang noise, however I have missed 3rd a couple of times. Nothing aluminum bushings won't fix.

That's been my experience with 3rd also. I am 99% convinced it's the tranny mount. Lots of engine movement.

So far, I think it's a great car. I drive mine pretty slow most of the time and score 25-26mpg with mixed driving. Passing my buddy in his mildly modded R32 was also a bonus. I've owned a lot of cars. In the month I have owned this one, I can honestly say it's the most fun out of any car I've previously owned.

Does anyone with bigger feet think that the gas and brake pedals are awfully close?

Absolutely. I'm fine with my sneakers (size 10 1/2) but my work shoes are wider and I'm constantly getting my foot stuck between the pedals.

dcomiskey said:
Absolutely. I'm fine with my sneakers (size 10 1/2) but my work shoes are wider and I'm constantly getting my foot stuck between the pedals.

and there's no room to the right of the throttle. >_<
(was it designed for girls with tiny heels or what -_-^)

Which dealership did you go to for the test drives? I was lucky enough to buy the exact car that I test drove. It had 13 miles on it when I test drove it and 13 miles on it when I left the dealership after purchasing it.

I suspect that it wouldn't take long for your shift technique to adapt to the car's idiosyncracies. I suspect my P5 has a few, especially with the short throw I have installed, but I don't notice them anymore. Except for the bucking at parking lot speeds where the partially compressed motor mounts have the powertrain dancing back and force. Hate that.

SwampAss said:
That's been my experience with 3rd also. I am 99% convinced it's the tranny mount. Lots of engine movement.

So far, I think it's a great car. I drive mine pretty slow most of the time and score 25-26mpg with mixed driving. Passing my buddy in his mildly modded R32 was also a bonus. I've owned a lot of cars. In the month I have owned this one, I can honestly say it's the most fun out of any car I've previously owned.
I agree with the swamp on thie tranny - read my $4 fix for the mushy rear engine mount - easy way to get rid of ALL the sloppiness and make wheel hop go away plus way better shifts!

I also agree with this statement "In the month I have owned this one, I can honestly say it's the most fun out of any car I've previously owned."

I'm getting 26 mpg combined driving. I got 29 on a trip when it was new, gas mileage is getting better as the car breaks in.

The real deal is the XEDE when it goes plug in play, for $1000 you get an extra 57HP and 70 ft/lbs torque. The fun factor is already high in this car, I can only imagine the grin I'm gonna have with the XEDE......:):):):):)

Bakrauf said:
Well your gonna have to make that decision yourself. Why let anyone talk you into it? If your not hooked after 2 drives then you may not really want the car to bad. As soon as i saw this thing I as like damn thats mine! and i bought it.

Yeah I was kinda the same way, me and my buddy went to the mazda lot and saw a MS6 there... so we got out and looked... and ooo'd and ahhh'd and the salesman came out and started talking and he pointed to the MS3 in the garage getting serviced and it was like the heavens opened up and everything was good with the world again. It was a great feeling. They still have the same one there and plan to get it here shortly hopefully. I guess you can say I am as excited as a 16 year old at a backstreet boys concert lol... oh yeah I brought the BSB back lol... dont hate lol..

D_Roc7822 said:
I guess you can say I am as excited as a 16 year old at a backstreet boys concert lol... oh yeah I brought the BSB back lol... dont hate lol..

(hah) I think I brained my damage.

D_Roc7822 said:
oh if you only knew lol... thats kinda funny. Brained my damage, Ill have to remember that.

What's funny, I got that from a t-shirt my 17 year old boy wears. He wears t-shirts that can make anyone laugh. He's super smart and funny as heck. I'm not quite sure where he get's it from (me) but we drive his Mom and sister up the wall on a regular basis. It first started with a hot pink t-shirt that said "chicks dig pink." Then he has another pink one I purchased him thats says, "keep laughing, this is your girlfriends shirt!" It goes on and on. I'm older but love to have fun with my kids; you only get one chance...

i test drove it and drove it home that same night...if u dont like the car then stay with ur p5....this car is badass and shifter bushings and complete motor mount upgrade will get rid of all those noises and stiffin the ride out ALOT..ask people with only the 1 motor mount currrently available....O wheel hop and no bang at shifts

Back