Test drive - "THUD" sound when steering wheel is turned to either side

:
2006 Honda Civic Coupe EX
Hi Mazda 3 owners,

I was test driving the Mazda 3 S Touring earlier today, and when I completely turned the steering wheel to either side, I heard loud "THUD" sound. Did not matter which direction. Has anyone else noticed this in their cars? Is it normal?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I've enver heard a sound like that but I don't lock the turning much at all. I'll check it out and report back, but that doesn't sound "normal".

Was the thud from the steering wheel hitting its limit or from somewhere else more forward?

Was the thud from the steering wheel hitting its limit or from somewhere else more forward?

It was from the steering hitting the limit.

I currently drive a Honda Civic coupe, and there is no sound whatsoever when the steering hits the limit.

I tested it out on mine a few days ago and while there is a 'thunk' when the steering wheel hits the limit I don't think it's and issue. It's just not very soft and you do kinda have to put some force into turning the wheel to get a loud thunk. It's definitely in the steering column though.

I think it may be because since we have an electronic steering system as opposed to a mechanical one there is a hard cut-off rather than something soft in a mechanical one where the gears or pullys bounce or give a little.

Back