Test drive Concerns for CX-5

I have done about 3 test drives of the CX-5 and 1 test drive of the CR-V. As noted by many the cx-5 seems just a touch underpowered but the handling and drive and feel felt much better than the crv. The crv although had more power but the drive felt heavy and the handling too light.... I'm pretty much settled on the cx-5. Going to finalize on Monday for the black but the ol'lady wants me to consider the white... decisions!!? :)

I have done about 3 test drives of the CX-5 and 1 test drive of the CR-V. As noted by many the cx-5 seems just a touch underpowered but the handling and drive and feel felt much better than the crv. The crv although had more power but the drive felt heavy and the handling too light.... I'm pretty much settled on the cx-5. Going to finalize on Monday for the black but the ol'lady wants me to consider the white... decisions!!? :)

This review sums it up for you:
http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/driven-2013-mazda-cx-5-sport-fwd/

They do have reservations about the power:

It’s the least powerful vehicle in its class.... it’s overpowered by such mundane crossovers as the Toyota RAV4 and Honda CR-V.... Based on stats alone, it shouldn’t be an endearing car for the enthusiast. Except it totally is.

Their summary against the CR-V

The CR-V is pretty much the polar opposite of the CX-5. The Honda has more power, but its 2.4-liter engine and five-speed automatic (the sole transmission option) seem to have any sense of fun programed out of it during assembly. Compared to the Mazda, it’s a slow, dull-sounding, and unresponsive powertrain. The CX-5, meanwhile, is right there, like a caffeinated puppy, ready to be revved and driven hard.

Enough said really...

I love the interior and exterior of the car. It seems like thought was put into this.

I have 2 concerns.
1) Engine noise: The CX-5 does not give you a luxury feel at all. The start up is noisy and the noise still seems to be there even after going a mile. I test drove the grand touring, I love the leather and everything that comes with it, but I am disappointed by the cheap car feel to driving it. Dont others feel this way?

2) Driving torque: When I had to accelerate from 40mph to a highway 65mph it seemed like it did take a lot of effort, granted, I am used to driving my honda accord and you cant really compare the two, But still, I feel this will limit me on how I drive on the highway.

Question: Is your Accord 4 cylinder or V6 Accord?

I don’t get it how people are saying the CX-5 is slow. Compared to the CR-V and the Rav4 (I4), it is just a few milliseconds slower to 100. I haven’t driven one so I can’t comment too much. Could it be that the CX-5 fells nicer to drive then the others making it feel like it needs more power to complement the better handing. (creating the full package)?

I must admit that my first test drive in an AWD CX-5 left me a bit disappointed in the power. I was expecting amazing, formula-one like acceleration given the highly touted high compression ratio. I loved the interior and the overall size, but had been hoping for more juice. In my brief test, I fooled around with the auto/manual, but it just didn't satisfy like a manual. I left with the intention of checking out the Tiguan and the new Acura RDX. I had already checked out the KIA Sportage and the Forester, and they didn't make the cut.

A few weeks later, a 6 spd MT CX-5 showed up in the inventory at another dealer about 50 miles away, so I decided to check it out. I had owned an 1999 Acura CL that had 150 hp and the same 3200 lb curb weight as the CX, with a 5 spd manual and found the power more than adequate and the gas mileage outstanding. I was not disappointed. The manual version is a whole different animal. It just hits all the right notes for me.

The manual version is a whole different animal. It just hits all the right notes for me.

I wish my wife could drive manual (she refuses to learn), and that it was offered on the GT here.
In Europe the MT is across the board.

A review in Germany compared various SUV's including the Tiguan and CX-5. The CX-5 (in MT + Diesel form) was the quickest 0-100 and had the best fuel economy.

The comparison was very narrowly given to the Tiguan. Although both CX-5 and Tiguan were considered to be well ahead of the rest of the pack.

I ended up going Diesel + auto because Petrol + auto didn't do it for me.
The Diesel *feels* a couple of seconds quicker to 100.

I wish my wife could drive manual (she refuses to learn), and that it was offered on the GT here.

When I met my spousal unit 19 years ago, she was driving a Plymouth Voyager mini van. When she asked me if she could drive my Toyota T-100 pickup that had a 5 speed manual, I envisioned grinding gears and the smell of burning clutch. I was pleasantly surprised to find that she was a pro. Since then, we have owned several cars with manual transmissions, including her current ride, an Acura TSX 6spd manual. When she first test drove it, her comment was that it was almost as good a tranny as her 6 spd Miata. I am indeed blessed.

When she first test drove it, her comment was that it was almost as good a tranny as her 6 spd Miata. I am indeed blessed.

I've taught many to drive manual. It's not difficult. I think my fastest lesson was no skill to perfect hill start in 40 minutes.
I prefer manual every time. But so far the CX-5 auto isn't as terrible as some autos.

The auto tranny is very advanced and efficient, better than any tranny in this class of SUV. After seeing specs and before test driving I had expectations that were largely met upon driving. It was obvious to me the (racing) technology was mostly engineered for efficiency, not big horsepower, including direct injection, high compression, radical exhaust header, forged crankshaft.

In short a 4 cylinder engine is very different versus V6 and straight sixes in more expensive vehicles. And even the 4 bangers in BMW and Mercedes are less than perfect from a refinement standpoint.

I've owned too many manual cars to count, these days they don't have as much appeal to me, been there done that. And the new autos are getting better every year.

Last edited:
A review in Germany compared various SUV's including the Tiguan and CX-5. The CX-5 (in MT + Diesel form) was the quickest 0-100 and had the best fuel economy.

The comparison was very narrowly given to the Tiguan. Although both CX-5 and Tiguan were considered to be well ahead of the rest of the pack.

I ended up going Diesel + auto because Petrol + auto didn't do it for me.
The Diesel *feels* a couple of seconds quicker to 100.

Do you still have the German site address, inodes? I know gearing makes a difference for the 0 - 100 km/h (or 0-62 mph here), but I would have thought the CX would be slightly ahead if the diesels were compared, as they have more power, torque and are lighter.

Do you still have the German site address, inodes? I know gearing makes a difference for the 0 - 100 km/h (or 0-62 mph here), but I would have thought the CX would be slightly ahead if the diesels were compared, as they have more power, torque and are lighter.

I am fairly sure it was a video review on YouTube. It was all in German, so you might need a German translator.
But the specs, fuel economy and speed were all noted in the video.

I'll try to find the address tonight.

You should know that Autobild is unofficially sponsored by VW so that in any comparison a VW product wins. The fact that the CX5 ends equal to the Tiguan says a lot about the car:) I ordered mine one day after I read the review in Autobild. In Germany however one has to wait for a new car between 3 and 12 months.I am getting mine sometime in June. Is it the same in the UK?

You should know that Autobild is unofficially sponsored by VW so that in any comparison a VW product wins. The fact that the CX5 ends equal to the Tiguan says a lot about the car:) I ordered mine one day after I read the review in Autobild. In Germany however one has to wait for a new car between 3 and 12 months.I am getting mine sometime in June. Is it the same in the UK?
I agree with what you've said.
I'm getting my CX in mid June. For a Tiguan there is a longer waiting time.

When the comparison reviews mention the Tiguan's rear seats can slide to increase the boot/trunk volume (but only to the CX's size) they don't say that there is then a large gap between the seat backs and the boot floor... into which things fall and are then difficult to get out! The normal boot size, when the rear seats are back for leg room, is a bit too small.

When I met my spousal unit 19 years ago, she was driving a Plymouth Voyager mini van. When she asked me if she could drive my Toyota T-100 pickup that had a 5 speed manual, I envisioned grinding gears and the smell of burning clutch. I was pleasantly surprised to find that she was a pro. Since then, we have owned several cars with manual transmissions, including her current ride, an Acura TSX 6spd manual. When she first test drove it, her comment was that it was almost as good a tranny as her 6 spd Miata. I am indeed blessed.

She sounds like a keeper! My wife (then girlfriend) learned how to drive stick when she purchased a '73 VW Beetle in college. I learned in a Datsun F10 while driving from Miami to Philadelphia with my roommate to go to college. Knowing how to drive stick came in handy when I had an assignment in France and most of the rental cars were manual. I will always try to have one of our cars as a manual. The challenge will be to teach my kids when they are ready. They don't seem too interested.

Back on topic, sort of, I read that Mazda used the Though as their reference design when creating the CX-5, so it's no wonder that they are being grouped together by the auto mags.

You should know that Autobild is unofficially sponsored by VW so that in any comparison a VW product wins.
Quite likely. They have however given many of their long term quality awards to Mazda vehicles, so it's credit where credit is due.
I was torn between the Tiguan and the CX-5 at first. But being in Australia, with Japan so close - we buy Japanese cars in a similar way to British buying German cars.

My wife is Japanese, so I won't argue. But my boss is German, and he owns a a Japanese built car as well.
How can I argue?

Quote from an Australian magazine off the shelf here regarding CX-5:
"It's made in Japan, so build, fit and finish quality are superb. Nothin will ever, ever go wrong with the CX-5, and resale values will be rock solid"
Mind you, they were review the petrol version (because Diesels were not available at launch). And they had this to say...

Mazda claims it's like a Cheetah. We've seen faster Biggest Loser contestants. Either way, the CX-5 won't be breaking land-speed records any time soon...

The cheetah is the fastest land animal in the world. The CX-5 I drove at launch with Mazda's new SKYACTIV 2.0-litre petrol engine, is one of the slowest SUV's in the world, so perhaps they need a more fitting moggie. Maybe a dead one...

Australian CX-5 advertisement explaining Cheetah comment:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goJu6S8-REs

Ouch!!

But positively...

The CX-5's a short, tall box, so you don't fling it into a corner like a real car, but it's still one of the best handlers in the class.
No problems with the ride, though. It's more comfortable and quieter than any BMW will ever be.
(Obviously they mean the BMW SUV's - which aren't made in Germany anyway)

X1 is selling well worldwide.

For the US market it X1 will be a little small even compared to CX-5 (length 175.4", width 70.8", height 60.8"), more tall wagon than SUV. But this will allow BMW to sell something at a very attractive price point.

Based X1 with RWD is priced reasonably; if they actually offer a 6MT, that would be something worth getting, considering the amount of power from the turbo 4.

It would be interesting to see if Mazda could develop a gas turbo version of the Skyactiv - more power and still reasonably efficient. Also, I think the next generation Mazda 3 (as well as MazdaSpeed3) would also be something to watch for - fully implemented Skyactiv in an updated (aka losing that big grin design change) lower smaller lighter vehicle.

Back