Taking my car in for its first service, they will check tranny fluid but not top off if low

Has anyone actually seen the ATF low when checked according to the manual? If the level is between add and max, then is is at the safe level. I think some consider it low if not on the full/max mark and that is incorrect.

Has anyone actually seen the ATF low when checked according to the manual? If the level is between add and max, then is is at the safe level. I think some consider it low if not on the full/max mark and that is incorrect.
Good question.

I put up a poll, since this issue seems to rear it's ugly head often.

Routinely checking transmission fluid is a thing of the past. Transmissions don’t consume fluid so unless you have a leak, it really doesn’t make sense to check the fluid.

Most manufacturers are moving away a transmission dip stick since most owners didn’t follow the proper protocol in order to accurately check the fluid.

My recommendation would be to service the transmission fluid every 60,000 miles and not worry about checking the fluid in between. I would however, check for leaks underneath the vehicle which is straightforward.

Routinely checking transmission fluid is a thing of the past. Transmissions don’t consume fluid so unless you have a leak, it really doesn’t make sense to check the fluid.

Most manufacturers are moving away a transmission dip stick since most owners didn’t follow the proper protocol in order to accurately check the fluid.

My recommendation would be to service the transmission fluid every 60,000 miles and not worry about checking the fluid in between. I would however, check for leaks underneath the vehicle which is straightforward.
I at least want to make sure I'm starting out with the proper amount of fluid. But without a classic dipstick, even a mechanic can't readily check it now.

And you do realize that your advice to "service" the fluid every 60,000 miles is good advice, but is not gonna be found in a Mazda owner's manual or dispensed by a dealer.

This is not to carp at you. It shows how far away from common sense manufacturers seem to have migrated on this issue.

Kedis82ZE8 original post had a picture showing the ATF level was below the “L” mark from factory. But the picture was gone after the server update. And the ATF level needs to be in the “central marker area” of the dipstick, not just between “L” and “H” marks like you stated.

Mine was just shy of this lower mark at 122F
If that red mark was where yours is, that was the same as mine.

I drained 3.5 qts from factory fill, after some experimentation, a refill of 3.7 qts got my level in the marker.

49BC1B96-0A8E-41CA-AB01-88FEE70E01F5.jpeg

315073A9-79AD-4DD5-A9E0-8FB7521B8FF5.jpeg

Attachments

• 6A83973B-0BE8-4CB2-B0ED-B93F63EB0CE4.jpeg
    6A83973B-0BE8-4CB2-B0ED-B93F63EB0CE4.jpeg
    229.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 0E50994A-6554-4C16-9772-ED73F349DBB1.jpeg
    0E50994A-6554-4C16-9772-ED73F349DBB1.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 143

I agree that routinely checking ATF is not necessary as the ATF won’t be consumed like engine oil. But on our CX-5 case there’re too many reports from those who bothered to check, that the AFT is under-filled from factory. An early checking and adjusting of ATF level from factory definitely is beneficial!

Don’t forget checking the rear differential gear lubricant too as it’s also under-filled from factory!

Well, after giving me a hard time over the phone about doing this, I get there and am told that it's "Part of our Full Circle Service Inspection."

Yeh. Right.

I suspect that the factory fill is much more precise that a homeowner doing it in his garage. If it isn't leaking or has poor shifting then I'd leave it alone. Ed
I don't know. All (most?) other cars provide a way for the homeowner to do it. I agree that it's gonna be tough for me to do this one in my driveway with any degree of comfort, which may lead to error. But I'm not sure what my degree of comfort is on the factory fill.

I'll wait to see the activity on that Poll before deciding what to do. I could check it and verify that it's good, and if it's not take it somewhere to be professionally verified. I wish some of those folks who reported hard-shifting issues would report back with the resolution they had.

So did they say they checked it?

Do you have any shift flair into second gear before it’s warmed up?
I have no transmission problems whatsoever.

But I don't want to drive around with a potential "Low Fluid" condition just because it may not be low enough to cause obvious issues.

I have no reason to believe that it's low, just as I have no data to show that it's at the proper level. Proper maintenance requires that I find out. That's the mission I'm on.

I have no transmission problems whatsoever.

But I don't want to drive around with a potential "Low Fluid" condition just because it may not be low enough to cause obvious issues.

I have no reason to believe that it's low, just as I have no data to show that it's at the proper level. Proper maintenance requires that I find out. That's the mission I'm on.
Totally get it. But what did they say when you went?

I’m super particular about things like this as well. However, if the fluid was low in a transmission like this, there would be some odd behavior. The lack of issues is your data that it’s at the proper level.

I have a shift flair into second before the vehicle reaches operating temp. Has me concerned. Local dealer “couldn’t reproduce and said the level was fine” which is total bs. As I noted earlier there were no finger prints. The receipt also didn’t specify what was done.

This flair isn’t noticeable if you’re going down hill or are on a flat surface with light throttle. It very well could be expected. Your car could also be doing it and you just don’t notice.

I live in the hills so I notice it every morning. I actually get off the throttle to let the converter lock, then get back on it. Sometimes it skips to 3rd.

Once it’s warmed up, 1-2 shift is great.

Totally get it. But what did they say when you went?

I’m super particular about things like this as well. However, if the fluid was low in a transmission like this, there would be some odd behavior. The lack of issues is your data that it’s at the proper level.

I have a shift flair into second before the vehicle reaches operating temp. Has me concerned. Local dealer “couldn’t reproduce and said the level was fine” which is total bs. As I noted earlier there were no finger prints. The receipt also didn’t specify what was done.

This flair isn’t noticeable if you’re going down hill or are on a flat surface with light throttle. It very well could be expected. Your car could also be doing it and you just don’t notice.

I live in the hills so I notice it every morning. I actually get off the throttle to let the converter lock, then get back on it. Sometimes it skips to 3rd.

Once it’s warmed up, 1-2 shift is great.
I asked twice and they repeated the "It's part of the Inspection" line.

So have you had your tranny fluid checked for certain by someone else?? I couldn't live with a noticeable (potentially damaging) issue like tha, expecially with a cheap fix available. I'd grit my teeth every time it mis-shifted.

My home is 1/2 mile off the paved road on a right-of-way that's a 75' drop. I've never noticed a problem climbing out thilw the thing's cold, and I don't want to convince myself there's an issue. But I paid $$$ for this thing and just want to be certain something as basic as critical fluids are OK. Heck, even cars I got for cheap had their fluid levels maintained. As we all know, it's just common sense. There's no downside to having it checked.

I asked twice and they repeated the "It's part of the Inspection" line.

So have you had your tranny fluid checked for certain by someone else?? I couldn't live with a noticeable (potentially damaging) issue like tha, expecially with a cheap fix available. I'd grit my teeth every time it mis-shifted.

My home is 1/2 mile off the paved road on a right-of-way that's a 75' drop. I've never noticed a problem climbing out thilw the thing's cold, and I don't want to convince myself there's an issue. But I paid $$$ for this thing and just want to be certain something as basic as critical fluids are OK. Heck, even cars I got for cheap had their fluid levels maintained. As we all know, it's just common sense. There's no downside to having it checked.

I haven’t. Crawling under it while it’s not elevated, running and blindly pulling a dipstick isn’t exactly appealing.

I have one set of stacked 2X10 that i use to drive onto to get enough clearance to lift vehicles up from the cross member. I plan on building another set so that I can get the front and back elevated at the same time to keep it level and get more space to work. Hadn’t really thought of a set for the rear wheels for this purpose until recently. ill do this when it’s warmer and the dirt roads settle again.

While it bothers me, the fact that it’s 100% gone when warm has me thinking it expected. My buddy has been a certified mechanic for over 25 years. He thinks it might be intentional to get the trans to warm up faster.

I can live with it for now knowing I reported the issue to Mazda. If there is any trouble down the road that’s flirting with the end of the warranty, I’ll at least have documented the issue with them when it had 10k miles.

I suspect that the factory fill is much more precise that a homeowner doing it in his garage. If it isn't leaking or has poor shifting then I'd leave it alone. Ed

You 'suspect'? That's not exactly definitive now is it?

I haven’t. Crawling under it while it’s not elevated, running and blindly pulling a dipstick isn’t exactly appealing.
I'm hip. I was always taught that only the "Hold my beer and watch this" crowd did such things.

Regarding it getting better after being warmed up, couldn't that be due to the fluid level being marginal, and warming it up expands the fluid (which is why you check ithot) so that it's "just enough" volume?

I'm hip. I was always taught that only the "Hold my beer and watch this" crowd did such things.

Regarding it getting better after being warmed up, couldn't that be due to the fluid level being marginal, and warming it up expands the fluid (which is why you check ithot) so that it's "just enough" volume?
Totally possible. That’s also why I drive around it. In the warmer months I don’t even notice it because it reaches operating temp by my second stop and go out of the neighborhood.

"I was always taught that only the "Hold my beer and watch this" crowd did such things."

Really? One might consider that remark a bit insulting. I've been doing my own maintenance on my vehicles since day one, and that was over 45 years ago. I won't take it as an insult though.

So don't take this as an insult either.

I've always thought that people who can't/won't do their own work...

Oh, never mind. ;)

"I was always taught that only the "Hold my beer and watch this" crowd did such things."

Really? One might consider that remark a bit insulting. I've been doing my own maintenance on my vehicles since day one, and that was over 45 years ago. I won't take it as an insult though.

So don't take this as an insult either.

I've always thought that people who can't/won't do their own work...

Oh, never mind. ;)
Perhaps I was misunderstood:

I was not referring to doing work in general, I was referring to starting a car while it is up on blocks in the driveway, and then getting under it.

I've done lots of my own work, but would never think that would be a safe thing to do.

Perhaps I was misunderstood:

I was not referring to doing work in general, I was referring to starting a car while it is up on blocks in the driveway, and then getting under it.

I've done lots of my own work, but would never think that would be a safe thing to do.

I’ve been under a running car many times since I’ve been wrenching(~15 Years). I always have some redundancies in place though. Jack stands under the frame when it’s on ramps. Second set of jack stands along with leaving the hydraulic jack in place when it’s on stands. Things like that.

I’ve just never had to get under a running vehicle that is also level before. I’m not a fan of jack stands under 4 corners. That’s why I’m planning on the second set of 2x10s to drive on to. Should give me just enough room. I could probably squeeze under there without them, but that would be too much of a hassle.

Back