Taking my car in for its first service, they will check tranny fluid but not top off if low

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I just got off the phone to schedule my first service at the dealer, and asked that they check the transmission fluid.

At first the woman went down the path of "sealed unit," "changing the fluid voids the warranty..."

I pulled her back and said that I just want it checked and topped off if necessary.
She said "We can check it for you, but we won't add fluid unless you are experiencing problems."

I tried to explain that part of maintenance was to avoid experiencing problems, we went back & forth, the conversation started to degrade, so I let it go for now. I was not quick enough to lie and tell her that it feels like it shifts hard.

I hope I get to speak with a service manager.
I hope that speaking with a service manager makes a difference.

This is stupid.

This is the same stance Lexus takes. It's a hot topic on the forum. Half the people, myself included, just leave it alone, unless we're experiencing an issue. The other half finds a shop, or does a DIY fluid change. From my reading, it seems that the people that change it, have the most problems. Hence, the reason I'm in the "leave it alone" camp. :)

This is the same stance Lexus takes. It's a hot topic on the forum. Half the people, myself included, just leave it alone, unless we're experiencing an issue. The other half finds a shop, or does a DIY fluid change. From my reading, it seems that the people that change it, have the most problems. Hence, the reason I'm in the "leave it alone" camp. :)
I don't want it changed, I want the level topped off if it's outside the operating range on the dipstick. They won't do that.

I’d check the plastic panels for finger prints after you bring it in. Unlikely they’ll check it.

Local dealer(where I do not purchase my vehicles from) said they did. I checked and it was clear nothing was touched. I brought it in for cold shift flair (likely normal) so it’s total BS that they didn’t.

Service writers typical know nothing in my experience.

Last edited:
I’d check the plastic panels for finger prints after you bring it in. Unlikely they’ll check it.

Local dealer(where I do not purchase my vehicles from) said they did. I checked and it was clear nothing was touched. I brought it in for cold shift flair (likely normal) so it’s total BS that they didn’t.

Service writer typical know nothing nothing in my experience.
I just might take it to my local garage--along with instructions--and pay them to do it.

It's a worthwhile investment for the long-term life of the car.

I just might take it to my local garage--along with instructions--and pay them to do it.

It's a worthwhile investment for the long-term life of the car.
I agree. Unfortunately it’s a real pain with the turbo model. It has to be done from underneath. With the NA models, you can get it from up top by moving the air box. Moving the air box doesn’t help with the turbo because of the turbo plumbing. I’ve tried :(

I agree. Unfortunately it’s a real pain with the turbo model. It has to be done from underneath. With the NA models, you can get it from up top by moving the air box. Moving the air box doesn’t help with the turbo because of the turbo plumbing. I’ve tried :(
Thanks for that. I read of folks moving the air box, but didn't know to not bother with the turbo.

An unnecessary time spent for the mechanic unless your have an issue. You could offer to pay the shop rate to do checks not required? Ed

An unnecessary time spent for the mechanic unless your have an issue. Ed
I disagree.

Every owner's manual I've ever had has told me to check the oil and transmission fluid as part of maintenance, not in reaction to hard-shifting or valves-tapping. The inconvenient location of the dipstick doesn't make this car any different.

I could talk about the from-the-factory low fluid levels others have reported here as justification, but it's irrelevant. Checking the transmission fluid is as important as checking the oil. It's routine maintenance. Low fluid levels will cause it to run hotter for the entire life of the vehicle, at the very least. At worse, it will shorten the transmission's life.

I don't see anything about this transmission that makes it unique, and the from-the-factory issue makes it even more imperative that I make sure the level is within normal range, even if symptoms don't present themselves (again, maintenance.) Besides, it's got a dipstick! I gotta think it's there for one reason and one reason only.

(Not directed at you, er, just a general frustration at the whole issue of doing this basic thing.)

That's nuts how the service rep resisted you. I have not checked my transmission fluid yet, and sometimes I wonder if it is low as others reported. Also, saying the fluid never needs changing is very hard to believe. It will last 100,000, 200,000 miles? I doubt it.

I'm not as concerned over the "Never needs changing" corporate position as I am the "It has a dipstick but doesn't need to be checked or topped off" dealer statement.

I don't get it.

I'd do it myself but I don't get under a car when it's on lifts with the engine running. I've yet to try to crawl under my CX-5 without jacking it up. I was able to change the oil "jackless" with my 1989 S-10 pickup, my 2005 Canyon pickup and my 1990 Volvo 740.

I'm not as concerned over the "Never needs changing" corporate position as I am the "It has a dipstick but doesn't need to be checked or topped off" dealer statement.

I don't get it.

I'd do it myself but I don't get under a car when it's on lifts with the engine running. I've yet to try to crawl under my CX-5 without jacking it up. I was able to change the oil "jackless" with my 1989 S-10 pickup, my 2005 Canyon pickup and my 1990 Volvo 740.
I was surprised your Mazda dealer refused to check the ATF level for you. I imagine most dealers would take your request, but the technician may chalk it off on the computer screen and registered as “Normal” even though he or she might not do the actual check! ;)

And I agree with you that we should check the ATF level with provided dipstick from time to time like checking the engine oil level although the ATF level should be pretty stable due to the mostly sealed and stable environment. Unfortunately I myself haven’t had time to check it after 5 years and 41K miles due to the complexity involved.

I was surprised your Mazda dealer refused to check the ATF level for you. I imagine most dealers would take your request, but the technician may chalk it off on the computer screen and registered as “Normal” even though he or she might not do the actual check! ;)

And I agree with you that we should check the ATF level with provided dipstick from time to time like checking the engine oil level although the ATF level should be pretty stable due to the mostly sealed and stable environment. Unfortunately I myself haven’t had time to check it after 5 years and 41K miles due to the complexity involved.
I need to just bite the bullet and figure out how to do this the least inconvenient way possible.

I hate having to remove those plastic panels. Every time I mess with trim pieces, I either don't get them replaced properly, or I break the clips, or something stupid like that. Messing with them while laying on my back under the car in the driveway does not enhance the likelihood of success.

I don't get it.

While I've not yet checked the trans fluid in my CX, I have changed the oil a number of times. There's a good amount of clearance under these things but for me I needed just a tad more. I drive the car up onto some scrap 2x10's and just that extra few inches is enough to make the oil change an easy job. No danger at all with the car up on the 2x10's, running or not. I'm sure that the trans fluid can be checked in the same way.

While I've not yet checked the trans fluid in my CX, I have changed the oil a number of times. There's a good amount of clearance under these things but for me I needed just a tad more. I drive the car up onto some scrap 2x10's and just that extra few inches is enough to make the oil change an easy job. No danger at all with the car up on the 2x10's, running or not. I'm sure that the trans fluid can be checked in the same way.
THAT'S a <i>great</i> idea!

I've gained weight since I've been retired (sitting on my couch as I type this) and don't know if I can shimmy under the CX-5.

I never thought of using scrap lumber. I was wondering how to drive the back wheels up ramps, but I could stair-step lumber and get the height I need. Or I could jack up the rear and put cinder blocks underneath for safety. A single layer of 2x10s might add just the right amount of clearance, and they are highly stable.

I really need to learn how to remove the paanels to access this stuff, since I'll be changing my own oil once the warranty is expired (yeh I know, but I only need it once a year so I'll establish a relationship with the dealer for when I really need it.)

Avoidin Deer,curious to here what oil they will use for your turbo.The Mazda branded 5w30 super premium is not synthetic as you may know.I wound up bringing my own 5 qt.jug of Castrol Edge full synthetic. By the way my two nieces recently moved to Staunton from here in the Adirondacks,beautiful country there,geographically similar to upstate N.Y. without the taxes and harsh winters...

THAT'S a <i>great</i> idea!

I've gained weight since I've been retired (sitting on my couch as I type this) and don't know if I can shimmy under the CX-5.

I never thought of using scrap lumber. I was wondering how to drive the back wheels up ramps, but I could stair-step lumber and get the height I need. Or I could jack up the rear and put cinder blocks underneath for safety. A single layer of 2x10s might add just the right amount of clearance, and they are highly stable.

I really need to learn how to remove the paanels to access this stuff, since I'll be changing my own oil once the warranty is expired (yeh I know, but I only need it once a year so I'll establish a relationship with the dealer for when I really need it.)

I also used some scrap lumber I had around to make a set of 'stepped' ramps. The ramps are a bit unwieldy but they work perfectly. If I only need a lil room I drive up onto the first 'step', need more? Drive up onto the second or third step.

I also used some scrap lumber I had around to make a set of 'stepped' ramps. The ramps are a bit unwieldy but they work perfectly. If I only need a lil room I drive up onto the first 'step', need more? Drive up onto the second or third step.
I have a bunch of scrap pressure treated kicking around. It will be easy enough to screw the steps together and tack "outriggers" onto them for stability...or just lay a few base boards sideways and build the top boards lengthwise onto them.

The more I think about it, the more I like it, because I can custom-build them just high enough to fit under the body. And regular ramps will still be good enough for oil changes where having the car level is not required.

Avoidin Deer,curious to here what oil they will use for your turbo.The Mazda branded 5w30 super premium is not synthetic as you may know.I wound up bringing my own 5 qt.jug of Castrol Edge full synthetic. By the way my two nieces recently moved to Staunton from here in the Adirondacks,beautiful country there,geographically similar to upstate N.Y. without the taxes and harsh winters...
I'll be sure to ask what oil they use.

Regarding Staunton, I live about 50 miles east of there just off of I64. Like most nice areas in this country (including my county), its one problem is lack of non-retail employment. I guess that's what keeps them nice...the Mongrel hoards stay elsewhere.

Back