Taillights - tint or paint

Ever thought about making red ones, Darkspeed?

tuned-mazdaspeed3_mazda3_2009_sema.jpg

Yea, that's what I try to do...candy red.

There's no specific DIY that I've seen yet. Darkspeed3 might be able to give you some tips, but let's just say it's not easy. The videos on DecalFX's youtube channel will really help you get started.

Some tips:

1.) Don't use 3M Film/Vinyl its way thin and you have to use 2 layers to get it dark.

2.) Pull the lights off the car to wrap them.

3.) Buy more material than you need, you'll want to wrap the all the way to the end of the housing.

4.) Use wet method, it's trickier but can make things easier for you.

5.) BE PATIENT. This takes time, get a friend or two to hold the lights and the heat gun while you're stretching/wrapping.

I'm about to do my own pretty soon, my vendor isn't holding up to their side by redoing mine that peeled bad.

Btw, red would look great! I'm considering it myself actually.

One bad thing is I don't have a garage and usually I have to drive 6 days a week to work...so Sunday is the only day I can do it....hopefully I can finish it with a whole Sunday.

Re-did the vinyl on my tails. Came out better than the first time (which peeled/lifted bad). Hopefully they cure and stay on this time.

Some tail pr0n:

Blurry pic.

2lcqs7n.jpg

Left side:
2sb4myw.jpg

Right side:
v45t2w.jpg

We'll see how they hold up. I'm just waiting for them to peel/come up.

they did it without taking off the tail light?

Yes, though I requested they pull the lights they refused.

And it's already peeling up this morning. I am done messing with these installers. I'm either doing it myself or having them sprayed.

ok guys the best way to actually do it would be to paint them most people do it with thinned down black base coat then apply a few coats of clear, but in all reality it is not sufficient for most everyone as they would like to remove it if they get pulled over which u could use thinner, but the easiest thing would be to use nightshades its a tint spray u can get anywhere used to be only able to get it from summit but now all advance auto and autozone carry it and then use clear coat on it any type will work can or have it sprayed the best thing is with nightshades it doesn't have to be taken off with thinner, 3dot brake fluid will take it off bc it has a level of acetone in it but won't eat through the plastic like high grade thinner will. just take them off while doing so bc it will eat paint. just my 2 cents and its the easiest to do and also if u do it remember they will always show darker when it drys and i mean take that into consideration when doing so...

Thanks for your feedback. I'm probably going to nightshade them, but I need to find another set of tails in case I mess them up and also so I can roll during the paint/drying process. I really want to take my time and have the option to return to stock if need be.

Anyone know a source of 2nd gen tails?

no u won't mess them up believe me just take ur time with nice even coats and don't do them in the sun bc the way the sun reflects off the tails will make it look like u didn't do them dark enough and make it look like there is not enough layered in certain areas. Make sure ur inside with good lighting, and definately clear them bc nightshades is really dull after it dries.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm probably going to nightshade them, but I need to find another set of tails in case I mess them up and also so I can roll during the paint/drying process. I really want to take my time and have the option to return to stock if need be.

Anyone know a source of 2nd gen tails?

I got a quote from Executive Tint last time i went to do my Window Tint, $150 a pair for tinting the tail light. take a day to do.

I got a quote from Executive Tint last time i went to do my Window Tint, $150 a pair for tinting the tail light. take a day to do.

Do they use nightshade or thinned paint? I heard they were good with tint as well. My guy is on vacation I may visit them and see what they can do about redoing a couple of my windows. The bubbling is driving me mad.

ok guys the best way to actually do it would be to paint them most people do it with thinned down black base coat then apply a few coats of clear, but in all reality it is not sufficient for most everyone as they would like to remove it if they get pulled over which u could use thinner, but the easiest thing would be to use nightshades its a tint spray u can get anywhere used to be only able to get it from summit but now all advance auto and autozone carry it and then use clear coat on it any type will work can or have it sprayed the best thing is with nightshades it doesn't have to be taken off with thinner, 3dot brake fluid will take it off bc it has a level of acetone in it but won't eat through the plastic like high grade thinner will. just take them off while doing so bc it will eat paint. just my 2 cents and its the easiest to do and also if u do it remember they will always show darker when it drys and i mean take that into consideration when doing so...

all that...only two periods. i have a headache now.

Do they use nightshade or thinned paint? I heard they were good with tint as well. My guy is on vacation I may visit them and see what they can do about redoing a couple of my windows. The bubbling is driving me mad.

I didn't ask on detail how they do it. But I saw a mustang there that they tinted the taillight and it looks great. You can call them and ask.

I didn't ask on detail how they do it. But I saw a mustang there that they tinted the taillight and it looks great. You can call them and ask.

Most paint shops don't use nightshade. They mix their own. Mine did. It's typically a translucent black that's thinned out a bit and then cleared. Mine turned out

Parking lights: Fail
v63i94.jpg

Brake lights at approx 75':
15eusyf.jpg

Brake lights at approx 150':
2ed1rwj.jpg

Random Pose:
2ekjg4p.jpg

How much did they charge you, and did they paint them on or off the car?
I think that looks good(headbang)

$100 and yes they were painted off the car. I'm pleased with the results minus a broken tail which they are replacing.

Ya I do mine that way We run a paint shop part time...But nightshades is a good alternative to someone that doesn't have access to a paint equipment, but damn that is really dark...pretty illegal haha hell with them just hope u don't get rear ended

Last edited:
Ya I do mine that way We run a paint shop part time...But nightshades is a good alternative to someone that doesn't have access to a paint equipment, but damn that is really dark...pretty illegal haha hell with them just hope u don't get rear ended

Yup it's a coat too dark for my tastes but you can still see my 3rd brake and I'm also putting in the 20-LED bulb assemblies to help with diffusion issues. Most of my commute is at night anyways and they are highly visible then so far. It's the daytime/glare I have to worry about until the bulbs come in.

Trust me, I've seen darker driving around here.

Back