Switched power in the rear/ hatch?

Evan55

Im mounting a rear facing dashcam to the inside of the rear hatch, but Im having trouble finding switched 12v. Is there a wire I could piggyback off of in the rear of the car, preferably in the hatch or top of the hatch itself?

dont think there is anything acc/switched back there, its either brake activated or headlight activated

You should be able to tap into the 12v outlet or the cargo light. They are not in the hatch itself but they are close.

You should be able to tap into the 12v outlet or the cargo light. They are not in the hatch itself but they are close.

as gengas mentioned, the 12v outlet is constant.

anybody know if the cargo light will automatically shut off if you leave it on after x amount of time, like other cars? i assume not.

i reaaallllly dont want to pull up trim and run a wire from the front....ugh

as gengas mentioned, the 12v outlet is constant.

anybody know if the cargo light will automatically shut off if you leave it on after x amount of time, like other cars? i assume not.

i reaaallllly dont want to pull up trim and run a wire from the front....ugh

i believe it does go out along with the overhead lights after a certain time

if you can fish wire from that light thru side panels and into a conduit into the hatch you could install some kind of light, BUT, i'd be wary of that, or do it extremely carefully (ie. pull a battery lead when doing it) since so many people have had problems with shorts and screwing up other components just from swapping the regular filament bulb in the cargo light with an led bulb

i might actually consider doing this to put a very bright wide angle surface mount bulb so that when hatch is open it provides a large lighting area

You might be able to re-wire the power source for the 12v outlet so that it switches with the ignition switch...er, ignition button. Something like was done in this thread - http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-12V-socket-to-Switched-(Accessory)-operation

I don't have time to research it any further right now but I might look into it later for my own curiosity.

thats a good idea.

I had considered pulling the wire for the rear outlet out of the back of the fusebox, then use a fuse tap on a switched circuit and tap it in there. drawback to this is undoing it.

Looks like that link he takes it a step further and instead of pulling the wire out of the back, does it through a popped fuse. more elegant and reversible

Last edited:
Everything you need to know is right here -

Attachments

• Accessory Socket.pdf
    308 KB · Views: 171
Back