Swap 2006 5-spoke rims to new 2012?

Rich A.

:
2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring with crap seats
I want opinions on what people think is the nicer rim. I have owned my 2006 Touring model since Dec. 2005 and have almost 156k miles on it. I finally just signed for a new 2012 today and pick it up tomorrow. The new 2012 has pretty nice rims, but I've always loved the 5-spoke wheels on my 2006 and am thinking about swapping them over to the new car.

Neither of these cars are mine, but here are pics of the 2.

What do you think?

2006-Mazda5-GT-12.jpg
2012-Mazda5-side-view-1024x640.jpg

EDIT: BTW, my 2006 is a 5-speed, carbon mica grey / black fabric, and the 2012 is auto, liquid silver metallic / black leather.

Last edited:
I am also biased but I also love the 5-spoke wheels as well. So much that instead of buying black wheels I decided to get mine professionally painted.
Premacy.jpg

I am also biased but I also love the 5-spoke wheels as well. So much that instead of buying black wheels I decided to get mine professionally painted.

Nice ride. I decided to stick with the stock rims rather than swap the 5-spoke. When I saw them today I thought they looked really good. I admit that the 5-spoke would give me a very unique 2012, but not only would I have to pay $160 to have the wheels AND tires swapped (I wanted to keep the new tires), I would also have to replace my tire pressure sensors as the batteries are dying and the dash light keeps blinking to alert me of the "sensor failure". All things considered it didn't make sense.

I am planning to have my windows tinted this week though.

photo (2).JPG

I prefer the style on my wife's 2010. But I also think the 2010+ Mazdaspeed3 wheels look incredible on the Mazda5.

5 spoke is classic and easy to CLEAN :D Add in some lip and multi piece to mix and it'd be alllll right. Weight is a concern for me. Seems all stock Mz5 rims are on the hefty side but not sure about the ’12, which I really dislike.

I think the RX8 rims look the best on 06-10 models but prob not as much on a +’12 with all the curves. The new MS3 rim do look very nice tho it is not my style.

Back