Suspension Set-up questions

SuperProtege5

:
2004 Mazda 3 2.3
I have a couple questions and am in need of suggestions for what to do concerning my suspension set-up. I already know that I'm going with the sway bar set from Racing Beat along with their springs on a set of Koni yellows. The question I have is should I go with the thicker RB front endlinks as opposed to OEM, and if I do go with the RB endlinks, will the mounting flange on the Konis need to be drilled out to 12mm like the OEM shock? Any help would be appreciated as well as alternatives for endlinks. Also just any advice, impressions, or suggestions regarding the overall set-up would be appreciated as well.

exactly what are you planning to to? the 3 is a beast at cornering already unless you planning to do prof time attack or SOLO II with SCCA. main things, Strut Tower brace, camber adjustment links(for rear) Tire presure(Get to know your tires for squeel or squelch or how ever u spell that, a mid frame brace will be a +, The Koni Yellows are awesome and no drilling if you do this...

The main goal of the car is to improve road handling without slamming the car for the roads I drive on (hence the Koni's and the RB springs). I wanted to improve the rotation of the car in the event I take it out for a DE or autocross occasionally, which is where the sway bars come in. The biggest question I had was if I'd need to drill the holes on the Koni's out to 12mm to fit the beefed up front endlinks from Racing Beat.

realy dont need the sways..the factory ones are great already unlesss you planning to go PRO. Racing beat spring are awesome for MSP but not as good for the 3s. Specialy your 04.A tower brace will be somthing to think do....less body flex. You can tell diference on cornering response

Not to discredit what you are saying, but I have spoken with many guys before on the other forum, guys that know a lot about suspension on these 3s and they all say the only benefit of a strut tower brace on our cars is a visual one.

hmmm, non taken...I did feel the diference when apexing on corners from race 1 (with out it and lowered) and race 2 (With it same suspention) @ SOLO II, but might just be me

My guess is they went too stiff on the rear sway bar and now the car has a tendancy to over steer.

Not to discredit what you are saying, but I have spoken with many guys before on the other forum, guys that know a lot about suspension on these 3s and they all say the only benefit of a strut tower brace on our cars is a visual one.

+1 Very true.

Throw on the rear sway bar and you will definitely feel the difference/improvement.
Don't bother wasting your money on the strut bar.

the strut bar won't make a difference until you get coilovers with stiff springs, and replace both sway bars. THEN it might make a difference.

Question of the day for anyone that knows, but do the Koni struts need to be drilled out on the mounting flange to accommodate the 12mm stud on the Racing Beat front endlinks?

it did the what now?

what I ment, the sway bars made it to stiff, not alowing it room for some give when cornering. the only thing that helped was setting his rear camber to 2.3+ in order to keep grip. have to have some give unless you driving a gocart or a formula. our vehicles are not centered like such...But that is just my opinion.

Back