Suspension noise, swaybar links?

jinker

:
2011 Mazda 2
My 99 protege ate swaybar links every 30,000 km or two to three years. I ended up buying them 4 at a time they failed so often.

I took a good luck under the 2 when I was shopping for a car to make sure it didn't use the same link design. Looked better to me.

Recently, my 2011 Mazda 2 (8 months / 15000 kms) developed a familiar clunk/rattle over uneven surfaces. Seems to come from the front right.

I took it into the dealership, they kept it for the day and they said they 'only heard it once and were unable to replicate it'. When they brought it into the shop they said everything checked out ok but they suspected a swaybar link. 'Suspension is safe, customer should monitor the noise'.

Absolutely freaking unacceptable in my book, but I didn't have time to argue it at the time.

When I mentioned my concern and the pain in the ass swaybar links on my 99 Protege, the service guy gave me a knowing look and said "You know Mazda, eh?" Not reassuring.

They also said the runout on my front rotors was out of spec and they replaced them free of charge. Interesting as that was not a complaint I had.

Incidentally, leaving the parking lot I was able to replicate the symptoms perfectly. Drive across a sewer grate with the right wheels, 'clunk'. Drive across same sewer grate with left wheels, no appreciable noise.

I'll be asking to speak to the service manager next time I can afford to drop of the car for 24 hours.

Anyone else have suspension noises in their 2? Was it just a swaybar link?

One thing that gave me a small measure of concern was in Car and Driver's long term test:

"We did, however, hit some snags along the way. Warped brake rotors were replaced under warranty twice: at about 8700 and then around 25,000 miles. Persistent vibrations and suspension clunks necessitated the replacement at about 17,000 miles of the anti-roll-bar bushings, a rear shock, and the steering intermediate shaftall also covered under warranty. The problem caused uneven wear to, and prematurely trashed, the cars Yokohama Avid 534 all-season tires, which the dealer fortunately replaced at no charge. The vibration never resurfaced, but we did continue to hear the occasional groan from the suspension."​

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2011-mazda-2-touring-long-term-road-test-review

Hi,

I'd check the 4 bolts that hold the front sub-frame to the body as well as the two bolts on the strut that hold the bottom of the strut to the lower suspension.

I had the latter two loosen (after suspension work- my bad) and they would 'click' going around corners until re-tightened.

John

I get a rattle sound from the front of my car when I go over bumps too. I'm going to have the dealer check it out with my next oil change!

I got the exact same problem you do with my 2 and the dealer. The thing is when the car is lifted, the decompression of the suspension puts some tension on the links, removing any loose when they are being inspect.
Next time I go to the dealer for a check, I'll ask him to inspect again but on the alignment rig this time so the suspension is in its natural state. I'm at 32000km now.

Btw. I had a 2003.5 MPS, so like you I went through end-links like crazy.

I've developed the same noise at almost 30k miles and based on my experience with past cars, sure seems like the links. On some past cars you could lay on your back and yank real hard to confirm the metal clunk. I can't seem to get the M2 to do this but good grief, the links sure do rotate easily. just twisting them hard causes some noise.

I try to stay away from OEM parts if they fail early and assume Mazda isn't redesigning. I found Raybestos #5451349 fits the M2. Ironically, these also fit first generation Ford Escapes which also had frequently failing links (I owned one). I've used Moog links in the past but there seems to be some issue with the Moog design failing after 40k miles on Escapes.

So for $15 - $20 each I may replace mine soon to verify.

Update: Yes, the great Ford/Mazda shared parts. If you want a Moog, it's #K80104. I owned a 2002 Ford Escape and it's the SAME part number as the M2 so the Raybestos #5451349 matches both. Seems at least some of the 90's Protege's used the same part and I've seen one reference our cousin (Ford Fiesta) has the same part number. It's a cheap part ~ $20 each and easy to replace. Any OEM replacement will have the same issue since this part has been around Mazda for almost 20 years!

Last edited:
Good info dsgrey. If sway endlinks are going to be an issue on our cars, this info needs to be stickied or something. I don't have any problems with mine yet but I'm only at 8k, but when mine do decide to be noisy, I'd like to try this option out instead of replacing mine with the same thing.

Resolved! I ordered the Raybestos 545-1349 links last Sunday, they arrived yesterday and I replaced this morning in 30 minutes. Ironically, the box also has the Moog part number K80104. Jacked up the car and left the wheels on though it's a little tight working in that area. 14mm bolts coming off and 15mm replacements. The new link is heavier and definitely has a bigger ball joint plus it comes with zerks. The OEM joints were loose and could be rotated with your pinky finger. I cut open the cover and they were greased but these are the same bad design manufactured for 20 years and I replaced them in 2004 on my 2002 Escape. The new ball joints take some pressure to move and they don't rotate so freely plus they're thicker.

The OEM links are stamped made in Japan on one side and on the other...FoMoCo! These were $40 shipped to the door and the Moogs would have been a little over $30. There is some question on the Moogs holding up so thought I'd try the Raybestos.

Time to do my oil change at 30,040. Poor M2 is one week shy of being a year old. I won't complain about the links going bad so soon since my Escape had the same ones without any other issue. That was until I hit a donkey while dodging a horse, cow and llama stampeding across a farm market road at 5am one morning but that's another story...

Thanks for the update. Just ordered mine and will change them with a smile. So tired of that rattling.

That was until I hit a donkey while dodging a horse, cow and llama stampeding across a farm market road at 5am one morning but that's another story...

You probably shouldn't drive through the zoo anymore. I've been thinking about getting Corksport's front sway bar and if/when I do, I'll pick up a set of these endlinks to go with it.

Our cars use MOOG part number k80104. The 95-98 Protege uses the same part number. AWR makes adjustable endlinks for the 95-2000 Protege. Therefore...we can use the AWR front endlinks?

Last edited:
That would make sense. The 95-98 Protege used the K80104 and the 99-00 used a K80685 which I believe is slightly longer. The AWR links are adjustable thus why they claim they'll fit a 95-00 Protege.

I just installed a pair of raybestos front sway bar links. My 2 is lowered on H&R springs with a corksport front sway bar. The noise started a month or so after lowering the car. Noise was only heard when going over bumps. Now its constant. I installed the raybestos links and could not be happier!!!! The creak noise is gone!!!! Lets see how long it will last!!

Well I installed the Raybestos links on my 2, but the noise did not go away. It was exactly the same as before.
Today I went to get it inspected at the dealer by the chief-mechanic. He informed me that they will change the steering rack and pinion assembly and the parts are back-order in Canada.

So 2 to 3 weeks before it's all fixed.

He informed me that another customer had the same problem and that was the part they changed. But during his inspection, his face changed when he pulled up and down on the inner tie-rod.

I had the same problem, went to the dealer 2 weeks ago, when I got back to picked it up, the service guy told me the mechanic didn't found anything wrong with the car ! I was mad.
Yesterday I went to my usual garage, it took 5 minutes for my mechanic to find the trouble, left suspension link a little loose. Replaced it with a "Moog" part (looks much more heavy duty and lifetime warranty).
Sound went away but I'm sure the right one will make noise soon, gonna do the same thing.

Thanks Mazda for your good warranty service ! NOT ! lol

I'm starting to get a mysterious creaking noise coming from the front left myself. I'm going to torque down all my suspension components and sub-frame bolts this weekend. If that doesn't work it is most likely the end link.

I had no Idea that these end links were such an issue. If I do have to replace them I'm going with aftermarket end links so I never have this problem again.

Thanks for all the help in this thread guys!

Back