suspension confusion

Mick

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
I do believe Ive got it all worked out. I plan on getting the Tokico HP strut and spring kit (from protegegarage.com of course ;) ) because it offers the drop I desire, and the performance level I want. With these shocks, I will be fine with all my STOCK sway bars and endlinks right?

I plan on getting an AWR rear sway bar with the eadjustable endlinks in the future, but In case its not obvious, im a little confused and freaked out by all the options. I just wnat to make sure everything is squared up and ready to go.

Also, with the new springs and struts, will I need to get a re-alignment since the car will be lower? Can I throw the shocks on and drive away with no further worries?

aMaff said:
It'd probably be a good ideer.

fair enough. I suppose at the very least it would be nice to know everything is where its supposed to be.

Mick said:
Do I need to get everything re-aligned?

Yes. Every time the main suspension is removed (struts, springs), an alignment is necessary. However, wait a couple of weeks after the install to get the alignment so the new suspension has time to settle in.

I've seen guys get away without an alignment but there's a good chance that you'll start eating up tires and such faster than you should, and with an alignment, the upgrade will perform to it greatest extent.

BTW, good choices on suspension bits, I plan on doing almost the exact same setup except I will probably be using Eibach Pro-Kit springs. I currently have the Progress 22mm rear sway but I want the adjustability of the AWR endlinks which don't work with the Progress, so I'll be switching it for the AWR 21.5mm.

i have that exact set-up - HP handling kit, with stock sway bars. its just OK. the springs and struts are much better than stock - they can be a little harse over some bumps. i think it needs a rear sway bar. sometimes, on long sweepers, the rear feels like it take a while to settle into its groove.

njaremka said:
i have that exact set-up - HP handling kit, with stock sway bars. its just OK. the springs and struts are much better than stock - they can be a little harse over some bumps. i think it needs a rear sway bar. sometimes, on long sweepers, the rear feels like it take a while to settle into its groove.

Right on!

I actualy did a search on tokico struts and springs, and I recall reading a posative review from you in a different thread. But im glad you're still happy with them. Im a very nervous spender.

Back