Super Lean!

TheBryGuy

:
'02 Protege5
Okay, I posted in here a few months ago that when I had my car dyno'd they told me it was off the chart lean. He said that with the amount of retarding the ECU was doing I could have up to another 30 horsepower locked away. That's wierd considering Protege's run pig rich so I didn't think much of it. Tonight, just for grins, I pulled a spark plug and guess what I found? It's white! White spark plugs mean you're running lean correct?

My next question: If I am running that lean, what engine management should I get to correct this problem? The knock sensor has been keeping the problem in check but I would like to richen up the mix and pull some more power. What do you guys think? I have an AEM SRI, Tsudo header and Megan racing exhaust (catback). I can't think of anything that would completely throw me off.

Attachments

• Dyno.jpg
    Dyno.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_1315.jpg
    DSC_1315.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_1314.jpg
    DSC_1314.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 125
Im a noob at this, but that looks crazy lean! Have you checked the trouble shooting section of the repair manual available somewhere on this forum? http://protege5.ugly.net/ I think is another place.

My Australian car has a different PCM to the U.S. spec but the innovate wideband I installed showed about 14.7AFR at WOT until near 3000rpm then dropped to around 12 by 6500rpm.

Others here will have far more info than me, but I would highly reccomend a WBO2 before further mods.

Last edited:
Is there silver specs on the plugs? just get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and raise the fuel pressure no need for engine management unless you want to of course.

Would an adjustable fuel pressure regulator work? I'm fine after 5K in the rpms. If I bumped up the fuel would that kill top end power?

no it shouldnt. On your dyno though it looks like your lean up top. you should get a wideband though before you start messing with it or find someone that has a portable one

It should do what you want cuz I was lean at part throttle puttin around the streets and raised the fuel pressure and am fine now. The motor also uses the vacuum line to pull fuel also. Any of your freinds have one you can borrow to see how your car reacts?

A.V.MSP said:
It should do what you want cuz I was lean at part throttle puttin around the streets and raised the fuel pressure and am fine now. The motor also uses the vacuum line to pull fuel also. Any of your freinds have one you can borrow to see how your car reacts?

I'm not sure, I'll ask around.

Back