Super dissatisfied with the CX-5 2.5 Turbo Part 2

I realize there's blurred lines here and ultimately you want the thing to be both something you want and need and I have been very happy and impressed with it- its definitely less of appliance than my CR-V was- worth the cost of less resale? Yes. 2 reasons- the CX-5 convinced me that even appliances can be kind of fun (and yes it still matters in this class) and I'm still happy with it so as long as it continues to serve and please and hold together ok that number means less and less as the miles and years roll on.

Volbeat live at Telia Parken- released last week 7- get it. They released some new NA dates also but all out West I believe..

Last edited:
Toyota has a lot of loyal customers who just go back for another Toyota and never consider Mazda or anything else for that matter. Case in point my father in law won*t buy anything other than a Honda or Toyota based on experience from decades ago when those brands really were better.

Ergo it*s selling well because of the strength of the brand not because they are actually selling a superior product.

How many reviews actually ranked something other than the CRV or CX-5 as top for *17 or *18.

There you go again over simplifying the situation.

Reliability is huge. Toyota is a consistent winner. Mazda is not. They fluctuate a lot.

Jeep is actually kind of an odd ball. They have pretty strong resale actually and are not really that good. I think it*s because the Wrangler is the real deal for off-roading. And you can get legitimately off road equipped Cherokees and Grand Cherokees. Something rare in the competition. Toyota 4 Runner and FJ come to mind or Land Rover.

FJ is no s*** an appreciating asset nearly.

Reliability is huge. Toyota is a consistent winner. Mazda is not. They fluctuate a lot.

Id beg to differ as I know plenty of people either problems with Toyotas. For example when I had my MKV a buddy of mine had a tC with the 2.4 that was considered bullet proof. Except almost all of them needed a new water pump around 75k. I think they do have good reliability generally and when it does break confirmation bias kicks in and preserves the reputation. People say its a Toyota and worth fixing ........

My last point is they also generally kept using proven platforms engines ect whilst everyone else is adopting new tech and sometimes had growing pains. Same with Honda. Recently Honda leaped forward and has had many engine and transmission problems. Toyota is doing this now with their new engines and transmissions. Time will tell if they got it completely perfect or if their engineers are mere mortals.

I*d beg to differ as I know plenty of people either problems with Toyotas. For example when I had my MKV a buddy of mine had a tC with the 2.4 that was considered bullet proof. Except almost all of them needed a new water pump around 75k. I think they do have good reliability generally and when it does break confirmation bias kicks in and preserves the reputation. People say it*s a Toyota and worth fixing ........

My last point is they also generally kept using proven platforms engines ect whilst everyone else is adopting new tech and sometimes had growing pains. Same with Honda. Recently Honda leaped forward and has had many engine and transmission problems. Toyota is doing this now with their new engines and transmissions. Time will tell if they got it completely perfect or if their engineers are mere mortals.

This. Our Sienna mini-van (top of the line) was a piece of garbage. The automatic sliding door mechanisms failed, basically trapping the rear passengers inside. Was a known problem and Toyota did a recall. However, the parts were 18 months backordered so they "cut" the cable and made it a hand held sliding door until the parts came in. We also had a adaptive cruise control but the cameras would always go out making you unable to use any cruise control. Toyota would always blame you and charge you $1500 to fix. Toyota wheels also rust and they do nothing about it. We were told we have to wash our wheels after every drive in the wet or salty conditions. Would never buy another one again.

Toyota boards are all filled with the same issues. I am convinced all of these "reliability" rating are bogus.

Toyota has a lot of loyal customers who just go back for another Toyota and never consider Mazda or anything else for that matter. Case in point my father in law won*t buy anything other than a Honda or Toyota based on experience from decades ago when those brands really were better.

Ergo it*s selling well because of the strength of the brand not because they are actually selling a superior product.

How many reviews actually ranked something other than the CRV or CX-5 as top for *17 or *18.

There you go again over simplifying the situation.

I made the switch and I'm going back to Toyota. I'm on my second CX5. Neither one was as problem free as the 3 Toyotas I've owned. I actually picked up a fourth Toyota recently, Scion XB if you will, remarkable little vehicle. My first CX5 took a transmission at 32k miles. My second CX5 is plagued with engine oil leaks, window rattles, an infotainmnent center which does what it wants to do (reboots, shuts down, switches it's own volume), and has had the rear calipers replaced do to a faulty parking brake mechanism. It only has 25k on it. At this point, when it's time to push this thing into the graveyard, I'll be finished with the brand.

Last edited:
I made the switch and I'm going back to Toyota. I'm on my second CX5. Neither one was as problem free as the 3 Toyotas I've owned. I actually picked up a fourth Toyota recently, Scion XB if you will, remarkable little vehicle. My first CX5 took a transmission at 32k miles. My second CX5 is plagued with engine oil leaks, window rattles, an infotainmnent center which does what it wants to do (reboots, shuts down, switches it's own volume), and has had the rear calipers replaced do to a faulty parking brake mechanism. It only has 25k on it. At this point, when it's time to push this thing into the graveyard, I'll be finished with the brand.

See for me Ive heard a story like this about every brand. In fact I was talking to a co worker just recently as his Pilot is getting old and starting to have issues so hes looks for something new. I was asking if he really needed something the size of the Pilot, as the smaller SUVs cost less, since he seemed concerned about new car cost. I mentioned Toyota had a new RAV4 coming out and he started telling me about all the problems they had with their last Toyota and how he wouldnt buy one again. Then he asks me what I think of Chevy [emoji23]

I agree their infotainment leaves something to be desired though.

Last edited:
RAV vs. CX5 sales numbers seem to agree with me.

Ergo its selling well because of the strength of the brand not because they are actually selling a superior product.

Mazda's dealer network is much smaller than Toyotas, brand loyalty, Mazda is still shaking the stigma of the Ford partnership, blah blah blah

Beating dead horses again. Been discussed many times before and people love to glaze over facts they don't agree with. Just move on..

Apparently the RAV4 interior "sucks"..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/906758-new-rav4-interior-really-sucks.html

b19d97bd_dc38_45ad_99c6_1f0813060c26_d4341d4ca2f5ba4ef43ace8e5e494baad864cff6.jpeg

c8eae200_98ac_40f9_8fd9_ee8e35ef723c_7b72822a25835667bfa8906e7a0966b6fb05cb35.jpeg

55c088de_a912_465c_bf50_b4940d38e8df_7a08798649aaa8d6ecd5f6ac2c446267aab5df17.jpeg

There's no way I could live with a car that has fit and finish issues as bad as that.

I have a 2006 Tacoma I bought new that's had it's fair share of problems. HVAC issues, steering issues, rattles, buzzing. There have been several recalls. 12 months ago Toyota had to replace the entire frame, leaf springs, front steering arms, gas lines, break lines, bushings, and other items due to a class action lawsuit they fought but lost. The bill was 17K plus a free rental car for 6 weeks. I paid nothing. The frame had rusted though in many areas, which is obviously dangerous.

Mind you that this recall has largely reset the clock on this truck, which is a bonus to me. It drives like its brand new.

I have owned Toyotas, Hondas, Acuras and the Honda and particularly the Acura was easliyt the most bullet proof. I sold the Acura with 112K miles, and never had one single repair. Toyota, not so much

I am thinking of getting the CX5 Turbo, but am a little unsure about Mazda reliablity

Last edited:
Mazda's dealer network is much smaller than Toyotas, brand loyalty, Mazda is still shaking the stigma of the Ford partnership, blah blah blah

Beating dead horses again. Been discussed many times before and people love to glaze over facts they don't agree with. Just move on..

Apparently the RAV4 interior "sucks"..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car-chat/906758-new-rav4-interior-really-sucks.html

b19d97bd_dc38_45ad_99c6_1f0813060c26_d4341d4ca2f5ba4ef43ace8e5e494baad864cff6.jpeg

c8eae200_98ac_40f9_8fd9_ee8e35ef723c_7b72822a25835667bfa8906e7a0966b6fb05cb35.jpeg

55c088de_a912_465c_bf50_b4940d38e8df_7a08798649aaa8d6ecd5f6ac2c446267aab5df17.jpeg

There's no way I could live with a car that has fit and finish issues as bad as that.

Yikes is Ford assembling these things?

Yikes is Ford assembling these things?

This one was apparently assembled at one of the Canadian plants, and is a showroom model.

Some RAV4s are being manufactured in Japan, identified with JT VINs. I would think the Japan-assembled units might be a little better.

I have a 2006 Tacoma I bought new that's had it's fair share of problems. HVAC issues, rattles, buzzing. There have been several recalls. 12 months ago Toyota had to replace the entire frame, leaf springs, front steering arms, gas lines, break lines, bushings, and other items due to a class action lawsuit they fought but lost. The bill was 17K plus a free rental car for 6 weeks. I paid nothing. The frame had rusted though in many areas, which is obviously dangerous.

Mind you that this recall has largely reset the clock on this truck, which is a bonus to me. It drives like its brand new.

I have owned Toyotas, Hondas, Acuras and the Honda and particularly the Acura was easliyt the most bullet proof. I sold the Acura with 112K miles, and never had one single repair. Toyota, not so much

I am thinking of getting the CX5 Turbo, but am a little unsure about Mazda reliablity

As a Honda guy, I was also nervous about reliability when I purchased the CX-5. So much so, I got the extended warranty. When you ask for quotes ask for it with the extended warranty priced in. Tell them what you will pay (low ball a little bit as well).

As a Honda guy, I was also nervous about reliability when I purchased the CX-5. So much so, I got the extended warranty. When you ask for quotes ask for it with the extended warranty priced in. Tell them what you will pay (low ball a little bit as well).

I did the same thing, coming from Lexus. A little peace of mind doesn't hurt.

And to the dealer network comment. There are only 2 Mazda dealers in my area and one isnt very close at all. At least a half dozen Toyota dealers some with multiple locations.

I see you have a 2014, how reliable for you?

Yes, I honestly did buy it to drive into the ground from the start, but won't lie, if I could get any money for it, I may well trade it, however, since it's lost value so badly, I'm sticking with "Plan A". If it lasts 250-300K miles, that would be great! After 300K miles, I'll feel I got my money out of it.

I realize being contrarian is your schtick, but I think you made the right choice in 2014.

default-600x400.jpg

True Cost To Own*
$35,753
*Based on a 5-year estimate with 15,000 miles driven per year.

default-600x400.jpg

True Cost To Own*
$36,605

default-600x400.jpg

True Cost To Own*
$35,199

https://www.edmunds.com/honda/cr-v/2014/st-200484882/cost-to-own/
https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/rav4/2014/st-200497408/cost-to-own/
https://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2014/st-200459303/cost-to-own/

Seems to be a lot of misinformation about resale values in this thread. The deviation between Japanese SUVs is not significant. Rather than relying on anecdotes, just check for yourself on a site like KBB, Edmunds, etc. (as above)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back