Super dissatisfied with the CX-5 2.5 Turbo Part 2

People can sometimes feel the need to defend their current "thing", whatever that might be, when a newer version of that thing is available and people are enjoying it. I think that's in our nature. Some take it too far by tearing down the new thing, and those people can be tough to ignore.

I am more than a little jealous of those folks getting the new turbo model... One thing I really want out of my cx-5 is more power. If I wanted to be a dick about it I could say "enjoy the mildly worse fuel economy bwahaha!"... But secretly would take it for the extra power :)
While I've never complained about my power, the idea of having more is a good one. Would really like to teat drive a turbo when they show up for test drives here.

Just got done driving it, Signature edition.

First thing, it*s a sweet vehicle overall. Beautiful (to my eyes) in and out. Love the wheels. The fancy leather and wood is nice enuf but I*d never pay extra for just those. Will be our everyday car, replacing wife*s 14 Accord. She loved the CX5 and has never, ever loved a car before. To her, cars are just something to get you from pt A to pt B.

My daughter has a 17 GT that I*ve driven a bit so I can judge the two well. To me, just one man*s opinion, the turbo fixes the one glaring deficiency the car has. Is it a rocket? Nope, but it makes a very good car almost perfect.

Now, is it worth the premium in $? Not sure, depends on where we go on the deal. So far they are very proud of this car and if they stay that way, even on 12/31/18 at 17:00 then I*ll pass till the market tells them otherwise. About 1600 off on a 38k car (a 38k Mazda!). I could easily buy a loaded 18 M9 for less. We don*t need the space at all but...

Looking hard also at the Bimmer X1. Wife likes that but neither sees it as the longer term car we want. Also drove the Mazda 6 turbo and nearly fell in love but I have a soft spot for that car - it*s beautiful and now drives like a dream. Wish I could get the wife to give up the suv thing....

Last edited:
Sounds like youre in the same situation as me. But at least the CX-5 is one of the better SUV options out there.

Fortunately wife is perfectly happy with the power and I daily a GTI.

Fortunately wife is perfectly happy with the power and I daily a GTI.

I still have the GTI as my next option. It still has a great amount of cargo space. I use a very small amount of the CX5 cargo and rarely have a passenger(s). If I do it is usually just my wife.
The GTI SE can still be had in the low $20's and has a fair amount of amenities or enough that satisfy me. Same stock performance at each trim level, but the SE puts it about right.
A 91 octane and DSG tune using a Cobb Accessport for about $1K, air intake can bring it to a sub 5 second 0-60 if one was compelled. A friend removes the tune when he goes to the dealership, but so far he has run his really hard and has no issues.

After watching the latest YouTube Canada reviews I am impressed with the CX-5 T more than I was, but still I am just not sure about the price. I am like CD. If the turbo was offered on the lower trims I would be more enticed, but at this price I start looking at other models. I know others have already expressed their dislike, but to me the Audi Q5 looks better. I know, I know.....it sucks so I've been told, but I like it and I like the Macan even more. I doubt I will get any of those and will end up going cheap and do the GTI.

Not yet. I stopped by the dealer Friday and they told me to come back around Jan/Feb to test drive a turbo.

They had a couple Signatures still in plastic and my guess already sold, hence no test drive available. No GT-Rs yet.

Yeah, I actually drove to the station to put gas in the Signature I test drove. The car was just off the ship. But the are now getting them in droves. Last week, my dealer had two 2019 CX-5s. Now they have 60. Only 10 GT-R or Signatures but more than before!

When they show up they will show up in numbers. I would even recommend driving a 2.5 NA before driving the 2.5T. This will allow you to feel the difference between your car and the 2019 and between the 2.5NA and the 2.5T.

I am still really impressed by my 2014 GT. It is a great car that I still think looks good. But the 2019 model is very nice. All the little tech features are really useful and the car handles tons better. Maybe my old CX-5 needs some shock work but the new versions turn so much flatter and the G-vectoring stuff really works. The car also feels faster - and I am talking about the NA model. And I think it might actually be for most people.

The 2.5T is just a further refinement of the car. It does not transform the car to a rowdy MazdaSpeed but makes the car more refined in the driving experience.

But it might not be the car for you -and that is OK. Always buy the car that fits what you need. We bought a CX-9 Signature instead of the CX-5 Signature or the Volvo XC40 or the X1 because we needed the occasional 3rd row. But if we did not, I would have gotten the CX-5 Signature in a heartbeat. And honestly, you can get the GT-R for 34K and maybe even 33K, which is a damn good deal. I think I paid close to 31K for my car in 2014.

Last edited:
Yeah, I actually drove to the station to put gas in the Signature I test drove. The car was just off the ship. But the are now getting them in droves. Last week, my dealer had two 2019 CX-5s. Now they have 60. Only 10 GT-R or Signatures but more than before!

When they show up they will show up in numbers. I would even recommend driving a 2.5 NA before driving the 2.5T. This will allow you to feel the difference between your car and the 2019 and between the 2.5NA and the 2.5T.

I am still really impressed by my 2014 GT. It is a great car that I still think looks good. But the 2019 model is very nice. All the little tech features are really useful and the car handles tons better. Maybe my old CX-5 needs some shock work but the new versions turn so much flatter and the G-vectoring stuff really works. The car also feels faster - and I am talking about the NA model. And I think it might actually be for most people.

The 2.5T is just a further refinement of the car. It does not transform the car to a rowdy MazdaSpeed but makes the car more refined in the driving experience.

But it might not be the car for you -and that is OK. Always buy the car that fits what you need. We bought a CX-9 Signature instead of the CX-5 Signature or the Volvo XC40 or the X1 because we needed the occasional 3rd row. But if we did not, I would have gotten the CX-5 Signature in a heartbeat. And honestly, you can get the GT-R for 34K and maybe even 33K, which is a damn good deal. I think I paid close to 31K for my car in 2014.

Did you get a good deal on your 9? Where did you buy? I*m in Lancaster County.

See my post above on driving the 5 Signature. Loved it but when I can buy a GTR 9 for close to the same price? No way. We don*t need a 9 but the 5 is a little short on space so, we*ll see.

I still have the GTI as my next option. It still has a great amount of cargo space. I use a very small amount of the CX5 cargo and rarely have a passenger(s). If I do it is usually just my wife.
The GTI SE can still be had in the low $20's and has a fair amount of amenities or enough that satisfy me. Same stock performance at each trim level, but the SE puts it about right.
A 91 octane and DSG tune using a Cobb Accessport for about $1K, air intake can bring it to a sub 5 second 0-60 if one was compelled. A friend removes the tune when he goes to the dealership, but so far he has run his really hard and has no issues.

After watching the latest YouTube Canada reviews I am impressed with the CX-5 T more than I was, but still I am just not sure about the price. I am like CD. If the turbo was offered on the lower trims I would be more enticed, but at this price I start looking at other models. I know others have already expressed their dislike, but to me the Audi Q5 looks better. I know, I know.....it sucks so I've been told, but I like it and I like the Macan even more. I doubt I will get any of those and will end up going cheap and do the GTI.

The GTI still has the best balance of fun to drive and practicality imo. I have the Autobahn with all the bells and whistles and bone stock for now. The 2.0T is now in its 3rd generation and is very refined and reliable. I also have been very impressed with the DSG. Stupid fast shifts and 0 shift shock almost all the time. Only occasionally you can feel some of the downshifts if youre driving normal. Get on it upshifts are still seamless but obviously youre going to feel down shifts with that driving. I would recommend looking at Autobahn for the radar cruise (much smoother than Mazdas ) and DCC.

I just can't get past the look of the GTI. I think it's hideous. Just looked at pricing though and I'm impressed with what the base model comes with. I like how they say "there's nothing base about it". LoL VW.

And I think the pricing even on the Autobahn was good but I was cross shopping an A4 or 3 series. Just couldnt justify it the nearly extra 15k or so for similarly equipped.

A) When did Unobtanium become "everyone". He is LITERALLY the only one here that ever brings up or complains about resale. He's also the only one that LOVES the RAV4, I think Ywrei likes it a little too.

B) CX5 resale isn't the s*** show you say it is.
C) It's only getting better.
D) Yes, it is worse, but we're not talking 50% worse. So you only get $3,500 for your CX5. The guy with a similar CRV gets $4,275. Worth $750 to drive that? No.
Now if you were trading in a low mileage 3 year old car every year, I might agree with you (I still wouldn't).
E) I've posted this once before because you being this up like every 3 months. https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/b...ns-people-buy-specific-cars-article-1.2552707 Yes, it's almost 3 years old now but I doubt much has changed.
I'll save ya' a click: Top 10 Reasons people buy specific cars
10.) 4WD/AWD
9.) Quality of Workmanship
8a.) Fuel Economy (in a tie with Safety)
8b.) Safety (in a tie with Fuel Economy)
6.) Price/Payment
5.) Ride and Handling
4.) Reputation/Reviews
3.) Previous Experience with Brand/Model
2.) Exterior Styling
1.) Expected Reliability

Resale...didn't even make the list. So not only is Unob 5% of Mazda buyers, he's also a small tiny percentage of normal car buyers.

Totally agree with this. The first time he called it an appliance I didn't even understand what he meant. I actually Googled it.
Honestly, I'm still not 100% sure. I really wouldn't call any car an appliance. And IMO it's kind of rude to do so.
My niece loves her POS 2004 Honda Civic because it runs well and gets her from A to B. She LOVES that thing. Like, as much as I loved my first Saab. I would never insult her by saying "nice appliance".
If MPG is your #1 thing and you buy a Prius because of that, is that an appliance?
If you buy the cheapest car on the lot because you don't like to spend money on cars, or you're broke... is that an appliance?
Do you buy a Crosstrek because you don't care about fun to drive, you just want to have a car you can put your dog in and go down to the national forest: is that an appliance?
I buy a smoking fast Mustang that does 0-60 in 2 seconds... that's NOT an appliance... because it's fast?
What's the appliance criteria here?

Hardly anyone: see above. :D

Right now my CX5, a 2015 Touring with 100K miles, AWD, 2.5, is worth less than $10K. It stickered at $26200, IIRC. My Jeep Grand Cherokee, when I traded it in, was worth $17K, and was a 2010 model (5 years old), with 93K miles. It stickered at $37K. My CX5 literally loses value faster/worse than a Chrysler product. It's not a $750 difference. It's more like a $2-4,000 difference, 3 years in, between my CX5 and a CRV or RAV.

I was going to ask why Unob doesn't just lease, but it makes sense to buy and sell if you're putting that many miles on the vehicle in that span of time (200k in 5 years).

Unob, might be worth driving the Mazda into the ground at this point. You may be able to squeeze more out of this car paying for whatever repairs may come vs. taking the hit on the trade-in/sale and buying new again. The Skyactiv-G motor seems to be pretty reliable.

Yes, I honestly did buy it to drive into the ground from the start, but won't lie, if I could get any money for it, I may well trade it, however, since it's lost value so badly, I'm sticking with "Plan A". If it lasts 250-300K miles, that would be great! After 300K miles, I'll feel I got my money out of it.

And if youre just trying to avoid depreciation loss you should never buy a car new regardless of brand. Just stick to the 3 year old lease returns.

That's what I did, bought a return rental. Got it for $22K and got $17K for my Jeep (original sticker was $37K, and it was 5 years/90K+ miles old).

RAV vs. CX5 sales numbers seem to agree with me.

Toyota has a lot of loyal customers who just go back for another Toyota and never consider Mazda or anything else for that matter. Case in point my father in law wont buy anything other than a Honda or Toyota based on experience from decades ago when those brands really were better.

Ergo its selling well because of the strength of the brand not because they are actually selling a superior product.

How many reviews actually ranked something other than the CRV or CX-5 as top for 17 or 18.

There you go again over simplifying the situation.

Jeep is actually kind of an odd ball. They have pretty strong resale actually and are not really that good. I think its because the Wrangler is the real deal for off-roading. And you can get legitimately off road equipped Cherokees and Grand Cherokees. Something rare in the competition. Toyota 4 Runner and FJ come to mind or Land Rover.

Right now my CX5, a 2015 Touring with 100K miles, AWD, 2.5, is worth less than $10K. It stickered at $26200, IIRC. My Jeep Grand Cherokee, when I traded it in, was worth $17K, and was a 2010 model (5 years old), with 93K miles. It stickered at $37K. My CX5 literally loses value faster/worse than a Chrysler product. It's not a $750 difference. It's more like a $2-4,000 difference, 3 years in, between my CX5 and a CRV or RAV.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but you're upset your used CX-5 you paid $22k for, depreciated faster than the Jeep that "stickered" at $37k when new?

Its probably also worth pointing out Mazda simply cant produce as many CX-5s as Toyota makes Rav 4s. They basically sell as many as they can make though.

Toyota has a lot of loyal customers who just go back for another Toyota and never consider Mazda or anything else for that matter. Case in point my father in law wont buy anything other than a Honda or Toyota based on experience from decades ago when those brands really were better.

Ergo its selling well because of the strength of the brand not because they are actually selling a superior product.

How many reviews actually ranked something other than the CRV or CX-5 as top for 17 or 18.
Could not agree more.
People tend to be set in their ways, and trying to sway them away from what they are comfortable with and what they know, is a lost cause.
I can give lots of examples of relatives and friends (just like your father-in-law), who buy out of habit, as opposed to buying after doing a little research or cross shopping.
I have a brother-in-law who is blindly loyal to Honda.
I've mentioned him before. He bought a new 2017 CR-V, and got rid of it in less than a year after he had no heat all of last winter, and lots of gas in the crankcase.
What did he do? He downgraded to the HR-V after ranting against Honda's lack of support.
Now I just found out last week that he traded in his 2006 Acura on a.....wait for it.......a 2015 CR-V.
I just don't get it.

Regarding lag....Im really referring to throttle lag when taking off from a stop. My E90 had a lag, the Audi A4 with their DCT has awful lag. The VW GLI also has bad throttle lag from a stop. I believe the primary culprit is not the turbo but torque management. And initial starts from a stop require the DCT to slip some just like a manual trans.

Now, the DCT shifts awesome once you are at speed but drive a stop, it really drove me nuts.

The current gen A4 is a beautiful car. I would have owned one already had the throttle lag not been present when I test drove it. Sport mode only helped it 30-40%. I drive in the real world and not a race track, so as good as that DCT is I could not handle that delayed response to my right foot at every stop and go.

Mazda definitely has the powertrain on both versions of the CX-5 tuned very well.

Resale...didn't even make the list. So not only is Unob 5% of Mazda buyers, he's also a small tiny percentage of normal car buyers.

Totally agree with this. The first time he called it an appliance I didn't even understand what he meant. I actually Googled it.
Honestly, I'm still not 100% sure. I really wouldn't call any car an appliance. And IMO it's kind of rude to do so.
My niece loves her POS 2004 Honda Civic because it runs well and gets her from A to B. She LOVES that thing. Like, as much as I loved my first Saab. I would never insult her by saying "nice appliance".
If MPG is your #1 thing and you buy a Prius because of that, is that an appliance?
If you buy the cheapest car on the lot because you don't like to spend money on cars, or you're broke... is that an appliance?
Do you buy a Crosstrek because you don't care about fun to drive, you just want to have a car you can put your dog in and go down to the national forest: is that an appliance?
I buy a smoking fast Mustang that does 0-60 in 2 seconds... that's NOT an appliance... because it's fast?
What's the appliance criteria here?

Hardly anyone: see above. :D
I'll take this one..
To me an appliance is something you need(more than want) to do a job for you so to me yes these are appliance class vehicles. For me the CX-5 was the least appliancy one among its peers but I bought it because I need it to do things that a car that I really want to drive can't or at least can't reasonably which is get my ass to work in any weather and have room for some crap from time to time. It's done that very well for me and I'm blown away that resale doesn't make top 10 but were all those polled BUYERS or LESEES? Either way I say if resale isn't on your list and you're a buyer, you're either rich or dumb. If you're poor and lease, also dumb.
BTW- new RAV4- sat in it today XLE premium or something 33 and change- I felt it was pretty meh for the price...I'll drive it soon certainly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back