Suggestions for replacing all speakers on the MSP.

Sushi-Monster

Sparco Freak!
:
Titanium Grey 2003.5 MazdaSpeed Protege
Dunno why, but when I searched, I was unable to find anything on this topic. Not the fact that I can't find the manufacture but more on the topic of that I can't find models that suit our application.

I was looking into the JL line since I recently picked up a 8W3-D4 (dunno if it is v2 or not - still the 125RMS though)

I looking at 1sty's thread and it was helpful, but it didn't help as to what models to look for (except for the sub - that was great help). Yeah, I want to change everything, tweeters, front and rears doors...

Any suggestions?

id suggest changing your 6x8s in the doors to 6.5" component speakers. im personally going with diamond audio M5 seris because they sound incredible even at deck power levels. a set can be had on ebay for about $199 and they are worth it, believe me. i am eventually going to swith my front and rear speakers to these and get a set of their m3 (lower series) 6x9s to fill the holes in my rear deck since i took out my stock sub. you could go with their high end set but that pointless unless you go with an amp pushing about 200-250 watts rms per speaker from an extremely clean, and expensive, amp. you can tell the difference if you dont get a very good amp because the speakers are such high quality. you can even choose what kind of tweeter you want. theyre nice.

Last edited:
if you're running your speakers off the stock deck, match the power output to the speakers. underpowering speakers will cause distortion at higher volumes.

if you're getting component speakers, it's probably better to drive them with an amp.

i agree there. i was just saying that sound great at deck power levels which is what they were running off of at the audio store. i personally already have a 40x4 amp installed in my car i just need to get the speakers but with a kid on the way im sure you know how that is...

no kidding. Good stuff, good stuff. Then I guess there is no reason to replace these speakers then unless I get an amp to power them in the first place... component wise anyways. Hmm, would going to a differnt deck be a better (if not wiser) choice as your upgrading the speakers? Or does it matter anyway?

i put pioneers in, i kno not any better than the excelons that are already in the car. i also have a 40wx4 alpine amp. soinds pretty good. i also put 6x9's on the rear deck insead of the speakers in the rear doors. sounds totally different. its louder just cuz you can actually hear the back speakers.

There are some alpines at one point that wanted a 10 gauge power wire to power the amp inside the deck. im not sure how much power it ran but you have to think about size. like what else has to fit in that small place and the lack of a real heat sink. most deck only say like 50 watts but in reality only put out like 5 or 10 watts rms. an external amp will always be better for power levels and sound quality.

I run Diamond Audio in my ride and the sound is beyond incredible! My preferance is a very CRISP and FULL sound balanced throughout the vehicle. Diamond is avery high end audio system and is not found at most local shops...
go to www.diamondaudio.com

cvp0917 said:
id suggest changing your 6x8s in the doors to 6.5" component speakers. im personally going with diamond audio M5 seris because they sound incredible even at deck power levels. a set can be had on ebay for about $199 and they are worth it, believe me. i am eventually going to swith my front and rear speakers to these and get a set of their m3 (lower series) 6x9s to fill the holes in my rear deck since i took out my stock sub. you could go with their high end set but that pointless unless you go with an amp pushing about 200-250 watts rms per speaker from an extremely clean, and expensive, amp. you can tell the difference if you dont get a very good amp because the speakers are such high quality. you can even choose what kind of tweeter you want. theyre nice.

Diamond Rocks! I have filled my ride with Diamond Audio (Amps and Speakers)...It's Incredible Sound!!!

There is none better!!!

Sushi-Monster said:
no kidding. Good stuff, good stuff. Then I guess there is no reason to replace these speakers then unless I get an amp to power them in the first place... component wise anyways. Hmm, would going to a differnt deck be a better (if not wiser) choice as your upgrading the speakers? Or does it matter anyway?

The head unit makes the least amount of difference in the way the system will sound. Add more amps if you want it to be louder. Change the speakers if you want to change the way it sounds.

ah. So far so good, I have suggestions of Diamond and Rockford. I assume JL is too much for the money?

no sleep...(sucks!) rockford does not compete in the same league as Diamond...
I think you can get rockford at pep-boys though, haha

yes, rockford is to diamond as a base protege is to a msp: same league just infinintly better. if you hear the two together you will know.

Sushi-Monster said:
ah. So far so good, I have suggestions of Diamond and Rockford. I assume JL is too much for the money?

JL Audio can be bought on the internet for not too much. You don't get a warranty but with speakers who cares. You can almost buy two sets for the price of one at a local dealer. I bought Alpine type-r and am very happy for the money I spent. I liked them more than the Rockford stuff I compared them to. JL is very nice I was torn between ALpine and the JL. I couldn't justify the added cost to go with the JL. They were both much nicer than the stock MSP Kenwoods! The MSP is so frickin loud going down the road I'm not sure the added sound quality would be heard. Rockford tends to use foam surround on their speakers which is pretty crappy on their part for how much they charge! I've never heard anything from Diamond. They look really nice but that doesn't mean much look at Audiobahn. People that own Diamond seem to be very happy with them which says something.

hmm.. alright then... me go hunting... any body have links or model numbers that they can shoot me for the 6 speakers that i need to change?

A second vote for Diamond Audio speakers. I'm using the Hex s600s 61/2 component speakers in the front. My plan is to put the old Kenwood front speakers in the rear deck with all powered by a good 150 RMS W/ch amp which I'm still researching.
I'm temporarily using the Kenwood amp that used to power the sub right now on the s600s and it's pretty good already.

Back