Suggested First Upgrade?

Dragonpark

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I currently have a fully stock 2003 Mazda Protege5 with a 2.0L 4-cyl engine and am starting to get a bit bored of its looks and performance (though it still does look awesome). Im debating on a few upgrades, but cant quite decide. On top of that, im a complete noob to this world. Im currently torn between:
1) New tires and rims
2) Sway bar plus drop, maybe new brakes and rotors as well
3) Try to find a completely keyless system (if one exists for the car)

I would like to eventually get all of this, but i need to set a plan so i can budget the money. Id really love a sway bar ASAP, but dunno if it would be worth it with the still stock tires and brake system. The keyless system would involve a push button start that would only be engagable while the 'key' is within about 5ft of the car. As well as the locks auto un/locking accordingly. If anybody could post some links/information on any of these items, or if you have any other suggestions, itd be great appreciated.

Thanks

1. Upgrade tires on stock wheels
2. Swaybar is good, though there is added maintanence with them. Upgrade pads to hawk HPS, work great, little more dust. Rotors are a waste. I'm not much for drops-except for racing beat's springs.
3. Never heard of one.

I'd go for new rubber on the stock rims and a drop...Swaybars have been a bit of an issue, plus you should get new struts before you upgraded anyway...but whatever...

We can't make your decisions, but if you gave me the dollar amount you can spend, I'd be able to tell you what I would spend it on...

Welcome to the forums!!
I would do springs, struts, and new tires on the stock wheels.. if you want a sway bar I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the MSP rear sway bar with evolv's "clunk fix bracket".

If you wanna make the car sound really different and get some performance gain, you can't go wrong with the Racing Beat catback exhaust www.racingbeat.com.

Well i havent done anything yet, just taking a look at some option. Rethinking the drop, i dont think that would do too well with the driveway i have. The think is pretty steep and im sure id drag the bumper pulling in. The sway bar is just high on my list cause i can really feel the roll of the car when taking turns and i just hate it. The area i live in is absolutely full of winding roads.

i know this isnt on your list but if you have a roof rack get the filler caps, i think it makes the car look a lot more sleek.

A rear strut bar would help a lot with that body role. The MX-6 rear strut bars fit the P5's, I got one off ebay for $20 shipped, painted it a metalic black and slapped a mazdaspeed sticker on it and it looks great!

mazdaspeed777 said:
A rear strut bar would help a lot with that body role. The MX-6 rear strut bars fit the P5's, I got one off ebay for $20 shipped, painted it a metalic black and slapped a mazdaspeed sticker on it and it looks great!
can you show me a picture of the rear strut bar? thanks

turbo+new engine. lol. sorry buddy. your not going to get much performance out of this thing if you dont turbo it. so i would go for new wheels and tires. appearance but nothing rice please.

Im not looking to make this thing into a beast. Just something that looks and handles better. I may get into adding a turbo, new air intake, exhaust or other stuff, but i dont have that kind of money.

ebay is a good friend. for intakes that is. buy the cheap short ram intake and slap a K&N cone filter and your set buddy. yaggie is selling a axle back exhaust for real good price. just check the for sale threads, good things pop in and out.

^yep.
Another vote for better tires and a drop. Take the driveway at a 45 degree angle to prevent scrubbing. Like this: / (not straight up). Makes all the difference to me when i do it.

P-Funk! said:
^yep.
Another vote for better tires and a drop. Take the driveway at a 45 degree angle to prevent scrubbing. Like this: / (not straight up). Makes all the difference to me when i do it.
LMAO, the best explanation of anything i have ever seen over the internet,!!! u get the nobel peace prize for that one man, lol!!!

If your concerned about having too much of a drop then there's a few things you can do, some more expensive than others but here's my suggestion:
- Coilovers: adjustable ride height, way better handling, but they're expensive.
- Or you can do what I did and go with stock MSP springs, they're really cheap, they handle much better, it's only about an 1" drop.

Before the springs:
P1010017.JPG

After the Springs:
P1010169.JPG

I would also go with upgraded tires on stock rims, a rear sway bar, and a rear strut bar.

With the above mentioned upgrades your car will handle great.

Good luck!

Here is a couple of picks of the rear strut bar I promised a few of you. Just finished installing it today and OMG! it is amazing. It reduced my body role so much I can't believe it. This was the biggest bang for my buck on a mod I have ever had.

728c697d529f.jpg

c7ffce1eb9f3.jpg

ab4882ec2ead.jpg

Back