suddenly very heavy steering

iceandzac

:
mazda 6 TS 2009 1998cc diesel 6 speed manual
Hi,
I was making a couple of tight turns in out driveway when without any warning the steering just went very heavy!
fortunately i was only 1 meter out of my driveway and with great difficulty i was able to turn the steering to the right and parked my car.
anybody experienced this? i have not consulted the mechanics yet, busy doing night shifts....
help....

Sounds like the power steering pump, although do you have a 2014 model? If not, your in the wrong section of the forum. If so, notify Mazda because your probably the first with this problem.

Good Luck

According to the OP's signature it's a 2009, may want to post and check in that forum rather than here... I imagine that generation has a different system than the new Mazda6.

I think 2009 is hydraulic with electric motor assist.
Is it still heavy/stiff, or did it return to normal, OP?

I don't know much about gen 2's, but I know it is pretty easy (especially on the MS6) to overwhelm the hydraulic system on the gen 1, with repeated lock to lock turns of the wheel. The cooler is small, and fluid overheats, and cooks the pump...

And we didn't even get the same gen 2's here in North America as they did in Europe, ours was a bigger car... not sure of how much mechanical difference there was, however. I know that Honda's Accord in NA and Europe in that generation were very much different vehicles (the Euro Accord was repackaged and sold in NA as the Acura TSX)

Thanks for the feedback so far for the OP...Thread moved to the Mazda6 Forum (for all previous gens).

Back