Subs and reciever questions

Dave2521

:
Black Mica Mazda 3
I just put some new polk component and some polk 6x8's speakers in my 3 over the weekend and noticed that I get a lot of sound but hardly any bass. So i started looking into some subs and picked out some nice 12" alpine type-E and a pretty good 500watt amp. However my question is do i have to get a new deck for my 3 for the subs/amp or can i run it without. And if i were to run it with out a new deck would it sound crappy?

Dave2521 said:
I just put some new polk component and some polk 6x8's speakers in my 3 over the weekend and noticed that I get a lot of sound but hardly any bass. So i started looking into some subs and picked out some nice 12" alpine type-E and a pretty good 500watt amp. However my question is do i have to get a new deck for my 3 for the subs/amp or can i run it without. And if i were to run it with out a new deck would it sound crappy?

I used my factory deck for my Infinity amp and 12 Infinity sub. It sounds great. My amp has about 300 rms. You will need a Line output converter though. So you can hook up your rca's to it because there is no hookups on the stock reciever. Also, I put my (LOC) Line output converter behind the deck. It was tight but I did it. Other then that it sounds great. The only reason i kept the stock head unit is because I think it looks good in there. And an aftermarket one would look stupid in the car i think. Check out my website of my car and my amp and sub. www.cardomain.com/id/lowridemazb2200

Last edited:
lowridemazb2200 said:
I used my factory deck for my Infinity amp and 12 Infinity sub. It sounds great. My amp has about 300 rms. You will need a Line output converter though. So you can hook up your rca's to it because there is no hookups on the stock reciever. Also, I put my (LOC) Line output converter behind the deck. It was tight but I did it. Other then that it sounds great. The only reason i kept the stock head unit is because I think it looks good in there. And an aftermarket one would look stupid in the car i think. Check out my website of my car and my amp and sub. www.cardomain.com/id/lowridemazb2200

I was looking at yours last night. Went through cardomain to see how many people had a sub installed without an aftermarket deck.

Was the install of the amp hard? Thats the only problem i feel ill run into, I can install a deck and speakers just fine on my own, but never tried a amp yet! (doh)

thanks for the help

Dave2521 said:
I was looking at yours last night. Went through cardomain to see how many people had a sub installed without an aftermarket deck.

Was the install of the amp hard? Thats the only problem i feel ill run into, I can install a deck and speakers just fine on my own, but never tried a amp yet! (doh)

thanks for the help

First thanks for looking at my car on the website. Did you like the caer and all the sub and amp the way I installed That was my first time that I have ever done that before too. It was easy to me and should be to you. I'm one of those people that are a do-it-yourself kind of person. I like to learn how to do things on my own then I know more about things. It is easy. You can handle it. If you have anymore problems just let me know I will be gladly to help you

lowridemazb2200 said:
First thanks for looking at my car on the website. Did you like the caer and all the sub and amp the way I installed That was my first time that I have ever done that before too. It was easy to me and should be to you. I'm one of those people that are a do-it-yourself kind of person. I like to learn how to do things on my own then I know more about things. It is easy. You can handle it. If you have anymore problems just let me know I will be gladly to help you

Yeah i like where you installed the amp at. Thats where im installing mine, its a good place to mount it i think. how long did the install take? Cause i only have today and tomorrow off work and i wont be getting the stuff by then :( so might have to use one of my PDO days. :)

Dave2521 said:
Yeah i like where you installed the amp at. Thats where im installing mine, its a good place to mount it i think. how long did the install take? Cause i only have today and tomorrow off work and i wont be getting the stuff by then :( so might have to use one of my PDO days. :)

Yeah It is a great place to mount the amp. Because I still need the trunk to put stuff in sometimes you kow what I mean. It took me about a day to do it. But, I did not work on it the whole day. So it was probably around 8 hrs of work. I finished at about 9:00 that day. Do you know how to run the power cable? Is your car a maual or an automatic. I have an automatic so to get the fire from the battery to the trunk you have to drill a hole in your car. There is a plastic piece on the firewall were I think the cluth would go. So I drilled a hole through that and pulled my wire through the firewall and into the car. IF you have anymore more questions just write me back, Thanks

Back