Stumble @ Idle

My MS3 does the same thing when the engine is cold and we only use Sunoco 94 octane fuel. Never a problem once the engine is warm though.

R

I'm beginning to think that it's not quite a fuel delivery thing but maybe more to do with the trans. It happened to me twice yesterday within a few seconds of eachother...it was during the 2-3 shift and the 3-4 shift (automatic). And the car was cold.

I too have noticed that if you let the car warm up for a few minutes when it's cold out, it seems to be ok. But I was in a hurry and didn't let the car warm up yesterday (was 10F)

I agree saint, it always happens immediately following my 1-2 shift, but it could also be something in the ECU as far as the drop in revs combined with throttling? Also, seems to happen to both the 5MT and 4AT. Its going in for service on Monday and the low temp that day is forecast to be 8*F. I let them know it only happens when its cold so theyre going to take it out first thing. Hopefully they can duplicate and finally acknowledge this issue.

Warming up the car is a good thing to do regardless plus it takes care of this problem apparently, but I still shouldnt have this problem if I misbehave and dont fully warm it up. I just hope they can find something.

Mine started doing this this winter. I never noticed it in the warmer months, but it has happened about 5-6 times.

I've not noticed a definate pattern, but it is when you are going up through the gears.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and see if the car keeps doing it. It hasn't happened for a couple of weeks.

Matt

Well, it happened today leaving the gym at about 9am.

It was a crisp 23 degrees (F) and I was pulling out of the parking lot going from 1st to 2d. I was about to make the upshift and it bucked like it was the first time I'd ever driven a stick.

Hey guys little help here

My car is taking along time to start and the RPMs keep on bottoming out while I'm my car is idle. When I'm driving and shifting between gears the car is fine. It just keeps on trying to shut off while I slow down for a stop light or when the car is idling.

Help please

loser174 said:
Hey guys little help here

My car is taking along time to start and the RPMs keep on bottoming out while I'm my car is idle. When I'm driving and shifting between gears the car is fine. It just keeps on trying to shut off while I slow down for a stop light or when the car is idling.

Help please
This is not the same issue we're talking about, and this should easily come up on the diagnostic computer in the shop. Take it (or get it towed) to your local Mazda dealership to get checked out. This is what the warranty is for ;)

Good luck.

jandree22 said:
This is not the same issue we're talking about, and this should easily come up on the diagnostic computer in the shop. Take it (or get it towed) to your local Mazda dealership to get checked out. This is what the warranty is for ;)

Good luck.

Jandree, your avatar cracks me up.

A code wouldn't come up on a diagnostics computer unless there is a CEL. It sounds like a vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks could be due to any number of things. Check the entire intake track and intake manifold for leaks. Secondly, get some carb cleaner and spray it on the perimeter of where the intake manifold bolts to the head while the car is running. If the engine revs slightly, you need to replace the gasket. Also make sure your EGR pipe is secure, and your TB and IM are torqued down properly.

Well, got this checked out today and they were not able to duplicate the issue… as I expected. Seems like this happens 50% of the time when I don’t warm up the car and so far it’s never happened if I warm the car up for about 2 min. It was 7*F this morning.

Oh well, I still have a few years left in the warranty if it gets worse.

I have a new 06 with around 500 miles and I notice that my idle is a bit rough and jumpy when I'm sitting at lights. If I put it in neutral it all smooths out. I'm wondering if I should get mazda to look at it. I hear some people talk about putting a larger gauge grounding wire to fix the problem. Though I doubt a dealership would ever suggest something like that. Anyways, she's going in Monday for some other stuff so if you all have any suggestions let me know and I'll hit up the service peeps.

I haven't been able to find this TSB anywhere....can you post a link.

jandree22 said:
Does anyone here have access to pull up TSBs? I found one description for the 5 that may address this. This is the only detail I could get without paying for a subscription to the website

Wytchdctr said:
Could it be the cars fuel map running lean to get the cats going faster?

Wytchdctr, I think you have the right issue, but in the wrong direction. Mazda (and many/most other manufacturers currently) programs their ECUs to run rich to light the cats up faster. I mean really rich. Honda does the same thing for any that are thinking this is a "problem" with Mazdas. This is done for emissions performance. You can see it as fuel dilution in an oil analysis, and if you're good enough you can even still 'see' it in the analysis after the fuel has burned off (like if you drained the oil immediately after driving 300 miles at 80mph with maximum weight aboard).

Our MT 5 has done the hesitate/stumble thing a couple of times on the 1-2 upshift as well, so it's definitely not a transmission thing. And, while still quite smooth, the engine does run strangely (kinda rough) when first started up from fully cold.

My 5 hasn't hickup'ed in a while. For a while there it was every other morning. No clue what the ECU and/or I am doing differently.

Anyone have the ability to post this TSB in detail?

ake : MAZDA Model : MAZDA5 Year : 2006
Manufacturer : MAZDA MOTOR CORP
Service Bulletin Num : 0100206 Date of Bulletin: JAN 26, 2006
NHTSA Item Number: 10019253
Component: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
Summary:
ENGINE MISFIRE DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES - SERVICE TIP. *TT

hmm, maybe the engine is overworked? we know it's underpowered anyhow, just a theory, I modded it some and mine doesn't have a problem

Same issues here. Stumble/hesitate, mostly in colder temps, but has happened in all temperatures, both engine and ambient. I, too, would be interested in the findings of the TSB.

You probably have a 5-speed Manual.

That's why I got a manual... I had a 2.3L with an Auto that just ticked me off at idle in D or R.(braindead

Back