Struts.

norwood1026

:
2000 Protege ES with 5 speed
So I took my car in a while back to get my brakes fixed. Some time after that it seemed that they started to squeel again. So I took it back now they are saying that I need my struts fixed but if I buy the parts he'll do it for $100.00. Just driving the car is there a way you can tell if the struts are bad or not? They don't shake or shimmy just squeel as if the brakes are still bad. Someone told me they shouldn't squeel when I hit the brakes.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
well there are a # of factors to concider. Were the brakes properly seated/bedded in? What friction material was used? new rotors or turned rotors or left untouched? Were scores itched in the rotor to eliminate the "record effect"? If the struts are bad they can wear the brakes prematurely, Look at the struts; is there any fluid comming out of them? Are they noisy and hollow sounding while driving? were the caliper slides cleaned and greased? Any air in the brake lines? etc......

I had another shop look at them & thet said the struts wouldn't make that type of noise & more then likey they just used cheap pads. He said because of the mileage the struts were bad wre about to go. There is nothing leaking around the struts. It only makes this noise when I hit the brakes I made a mistake in my first post the noise sounds more like someone is chewing a piece of rubber. Yeah I know that sounds bad.

Squealing brakes are due to the brake pads vibrating at a high frequency. Did the mechanic replace/reuse ALL the brake hardware? Did he put silicone grease on the pad backings? Both help reduce squealing.

Mechanics often come up with all sorts of excuses as to why brakes squeal, but using good pads (OEM!!!) and proper hardware/lubrication will prevent squealing.

Squealing brakes are due to the brake pads vibrating at a high frequency. Did the mechanic replace/reuse ALL the brake hardware? Did he put silicone grease on the pad backings? Both help reduce squealing.

Mechanics often come up with all sorts of excuses as to why brakes squeal, but using good pads (OEM!!!) and proper hardware/lubrication will prevent squealing.

They replaced the pads turned the drums in the back they said the front one were fine. I'm thinking that they used crappy pads if anything else. I've never replaced brake pads before I have a friend who has maybe I'll try that with some better pads & see where that leaves me. They said they did grease the pads & all but now I'm not so sure.

yeah, i doubt the problem is in the struts.
otherwise it would probably make the same noise while accelerating too

yeah, i doubt the problem is in the struts.
otherwise it would probably make the same noise while accelerating too

To be honest at 101,000 miles on it they are getting there I'm sure but they don't make any noise when I take off. I wonder what they would tell me once they changed the struts what the noise is...(sadbanana)

lol.
yeah its probably about time to change them. keep a look on the forums, maybe you ca score some with lowering springs

i have a set of stock springs and struts, pm me

At the moment I'm going to have to take a rain check my job is cutting hours & won't pick back up till the holidays get here. So at the moment I have to just keep up the maintance of the car.

Back