Strut Rust

speedblue88

:
2003 Laser Blue P5
Ok, so I know there are 100 other threads about rust issues w/ our cars. I have been reading a lot about the different issues people have. I have the normal wheel well bubbling spots on the lip, but also have some rather concerning spots on my strut tower on the passenger side. Should I be worried about potential safety issues due to the structural integrity of the tower being compromised? Or is it more cosmetic? The base of the tower by the steering linkage looks ok for the most part. Below are some pics. Just looking for some opinions before I start freaking out.

Attachments

• IMG_1706.JPG
    IMG_1706.JPG
    310 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_1711.JPG
    IMG_1711.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 652
  • IMG_1712.JPG
    IMG_1712.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 660
  • IMG_1713.JPG
    IMG_1713.JPG
    266.4 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_1714.JPG
    IMG_1714.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 650
Ok, so I know there are 100 other threads about rust issues w/ our cars. I have been reading a lot about the different issues people have. I have the normal wheel well bubbling spots on the lip, but also have some rather concerning spots on my strut tower on the passenger side. Should I be worried about potential safety issues due to the structural integrity of the tower being compromised? Or is it more cosmetic? The base of the tower by the steering linkage looks ok for the most part. Below are some pics. Just looking for some opinions before I start freaking out.

That is mainly surface rust for now, but I would get on top of it and clean it up before it becomes something worse. The strut tower is sound.

Pat.

Thanks Pat. What would you recommend doing? I've read that many times the rust comes right back. Should I take a wire brush to it and then paint w/ Rustoleum or something? Thanks.

That is mainly surface rust for now, but I would get on top of it and clean it up before it becomes something worse. The strut tower is sound.

Pat.

+1. All cosmetic. Honestly, I wouldn't waste the time painting it - it's just gonna rust again.

Your local parts store should have some kind of rust converter.clean it up with a wire brush or some sand paper and spray the converter on the rust spot.one good product ive used is POR15.that you can only get at an automotive paint store

-jake

All the above suugestions are good except the one saying leave it and do nothing, if you leave it will get worse for sure. Clean it up and paint it. Either use a wire brush in a drill or rust remover. Rustoleum. or any of the rust paints are good POR15 is the best as you paint over the rust with this.

Pat.

Your local parts store should have some kind of rust converter.clean it up with a wire brush or some sand paper and spray the converter on the rust spot.one good product ive used is POR15.that you can only get at an automotive paint store

-jake

^Correct. Then prime and paint.(nana)

Back