Strange thumping wind noise

Has anybody noticed that if you drive and roll down one of your rear windows the entire cab starts to thump? My daughter wanted me to roll down her window (rear passenger side) and when I did the entire cab started to shake and there was this weird noise that even made my ears and everything around me start thumping. I then cracked my window and it was gone. I was going about 45mph when I did this. I tried it again and sureenough it did it. Seems to only do it when all the windows are rolled up except for one rear. It kind of pisses me off but I guess I have to live with it. Has anybody else noticed this or is it just me?

ColoradoXtreme said:
Has anybody noticed that if you drive and roll down one of your rear windows the entire cab starts to thump? My daughter wanted me to roll down her window (rear passenger side) and when I did the entire cab started to shake and there was this weird noise that even made my ears and everything around me start thumping. I then cracked my window and it was gone. I was going about 45mph when I did this. I tried it again and sureenough it did it. Seems to only do it when all the windows are rolled up except for one rear. It kind of pisses me off but I guess I have to live with it. Has anybody else noticed this or is it just me?

Yup, Pretty bad with this car. The resonance from the air coming in and having no way out causes the heavy bass noise.

It's an actual occurrence named after a scientist (on the forum or another one someone posted the facts concerning this phenomenon). It happens on most if not all newer cars (like my traded in for the 5 Jetta). The only recourse is to equalize the cabin by rolling down a second window.

Yep, my kids know better than to roll down a window if we're driving anywhere but the neighborhood streets. My husband has ear problems after several ruptured eardrums and rolling down the back windows in this car (even both of them) is literally painful. But, it's similar though not quite as bad in our Accord. If we want air we open the sunroof instead.

Back