Strange Noise On Startup!?

Yamaha72

:
Mazdaspeed 3
Recently I have been noticing that when I start the car it has a very peculiar grinding like noise. It does not happen once the car has fired and there are no obvious clues like CEL or abnormal engine performance. I'm leaning towards it having to do with the starter because it only happens (as of now) when the starter is in motion. Kinda baffles me that it just randomly begun to take place but it doesn't seem to have a significant effect on drivability or even the actual starting. Can anyone give me a clue as to what it may be. Also i'm still under warranty so i'll more than likely set up an appointment for friday or saturday morning to have it looked at. Thanks!

actually as a heads up...if you are over 36k but under 60k and they tell that it wont be covered since you are not under bumper-to-bumper anymore, tell them to look at the latest release of the TSB. They tried that with me when I had this issue.

actually as a heads up...if you are over 36k but under 60k and they tell that it wont be covered since you are not under bumper-to-bumper anymore, tell them to look at the latest release of the TSB. They tried that with me when I had this issue.

Thanks! Im sure I wont have any issues as I opted for the extended 60K drivetrain warranty and i'm at 42K now..

Thanks! Im sure I wont have any issues as I opted for the extended 60K drivetrain warranty and i'm at 42K now..

well yeah that is what I am saying...the dealer and mazda NA, were trying to claim that the VVT actuator pin was not considered part of the powertrain and therefor only was covered under bumper to bumper. They have a newer release of the TSB that says otherwise now.

On a side note...I hope you didn't pay extra for the "extended 60K drivetrain warranty" because the car comes with a 60k powertrain warranty from teh factory.

Maybe i'm mistaken on the 60K. I purchased an additional extended powertrain warranty when I bought the car. Maybe it goes up to 100K then, i'll have to check.

...the dealer and mazda NA, were trying to claim that the VVT actuator pin was not considered part of the powertrain and therefor only was covered under bumper to bumper.

Let me get this straight:

The VVT actuator is part of the engine and the engine is part of the powertrain but the VVT actuator is not part of the powertrain.

Simply amazing...

Back