Stock tires - terrible wear, Mazda/Bridgestone won't do anything about it

I bought my car a year ago, it has 15,000 miles on it, 5,500 of which was run on snow tires.

The stock summer tires are completely shot. I called the Dealership, and they said the tires aren't covered under any factory warranty and call Bridgestone. The rep i talked to acknowledged that these tires have very poor wear and said i'd be lucky to get 14,000 on them...i got much less.

All i was offered was a 10% discount from Bridgestone (big deal) on my next purchase. Needless to say I won't be buying the potenza's ever again. Has anyone else had good luck with a different tire, I can't believe a less than a year driving this car I already need to buy tires for it...

I can't believe a less than a year driving this car I already need to buy tires for it...
The Potenza RE050 is a ultra high performance summer tire with a 140 treadwear rating. If you want something that will last a long time I would recommend the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. It has a 400 treadwear rating. Just remember that grip and longevity are mutually exclusive. Mazda chose high grip tires which helped the car perform well in various reviews and tests. The Potenza is a fine tire for what it is designed for, but it is not an economical tire.

Also, regardless of which tire you get you need to have the SPC adjustable ball joints installed and an alignment with negative front camber set. That will increase tire life quite a bit.

The Potenza RE050 is a ultra high performance summer tire with a 140 treadwear rating. If you want something that will last a long time I would recommend the Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. It has a 400 treadwear rating. Just remember that grip and longevity are mutually exclusive. Mazda chose high grip tires which helped the car perform well in various reviews and tests. The Potenza is a fine tire for what it is designed for, but it is not an economical tire.

Also, regardless of which tire you get you need to have the SPC adjustable ball joints installed and an alignment with negative front camber set. That will increase tire life quite a bit.

Well said. 12-15K out of the stock tires is lucky for most. I changed to the Pirelli's after my stocks were worn out, and am very happy with what they do. I would buy the Potenza's again if they were only being used for summer.

Those pirellis suck azz. They get the job done, but they are much more noisy. I recommend Eagle GTs. They even have curb protectors on them and they are all season too.

Those pirellis suck azz. They get the job done, but they are much more noisy. I recommend Eagle GTs. They even have curb protectors on them and they are all season too.

i have these and they rock. great treadwear warrenty and they are quiet to boot.

For normal driving the Pzero nero's are ok. They wear better then stock, but they suck in snow. I have them now and after I broke them in they were quieter but loud at first.

The bridgestones suck for mileage but you could practically climb walls with the darn things, really sticky. I got maybe 12-15,000 kms on them which is the worse I have had any performance tire. Yes that is kms not miles.

My biggest gripe with the pirelli's were that they were advertised as having a rim protector on them, and they don't. Sure enough, less then a month of having them on my car, the woman curbed my rim.

Get the Goodyears F1's. Had them on my MSP, sexy tire, really good in the rain, not sure on wear though.

The Pirelli's are hardly noisy. Eagle GT's don't seem too bad. Don't get the RS-A's though.

Last edited:

Attachments

• justin-timberlake-jessica-biel-snl.jpg
    justin-timberlake-jessica-biel-snl.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 145
If you got approx 10k out of the stockers with any sort of spirited driving then you did good... While short on tire life they are balls to the wall great in keeping the car planted... I got approx 10k out of mine and loved them. Unfortunately replacement cost was to high so I went with the Toyo Proxes T1R for a replacement tire and there great as well...

yup my stockers lasted i think 13k, but thats just a guess..it was sooo long ago.. im running the Eagle GT's for my winter set and ive got a set of BFGoodrich for my summers, want to get Toyo's after those are shot..my BF set is new, 4 months old i beleive and i put those SPC's on and have seen minimal wear to date

my Bridgestone last for 65,000 99% highway miles the noisy falken last for 10,000 miles now i went ship and happy. i faund this tire autogard S900 225/40/18 i recommend this tire the noise is minimum the car run better look in this place nouglytire.com

Same thing happened to my friend with his 370z and he almost s*** bricks. He couldn't believe it. But as everyone else has already said, that's what you get with such a high performance tire

Back