starting issues

Guys... the problem is not oil, believe me! More of a weaker, slower turnover, and not firing up right away. I'm guessing either batttery, or maybe plugs?

Guys... the problem is not oil, believe me! More of a weaker, slower turnover, and not firing up right away. I'm guessing either batttery, or maybe plugs?

Yeah, but give it long enough, and pretty much every thread on here ends up with arguments about oil and/or spark plugs!

(hah) (deadhorse )

dont think anyone was arguing. but if it is cold and ur using a thicker oil that is a valid point of why the engine might have problems turning over

SkinnyJoint said:
dont think anyone was arguing. but if it is cold and ur using a thicker oil that is a valid point of why the engine might have problems turning over

For "arguments", read "debates" :)

The oil thickness point is tenuous at best, in any case, since the difference between a 5W and 10W oil is pretty tiny, and the owner's manual says a 10w is fine for anything down to about -25C in any case, but I don't want to get into that "debate" :)

I use 5w30 synthetic... the same oil I've used in all of my vehicles in this same weather... that's why I'm sure it's not an oil issue. I'm interested in the service bulletin that was previously mentioned.

Last edited:
Mmmmmken said:
I use 5w30 synthetic... the same oil I've used in all of my vehicles in this same weather... that's why I'm sure it's not an oil issue. I'm interested in the service bulliten that was previously mentioned.

i second the service bulletin, would love to read that. and thank u to everyone for your feedback and input so far. im gonna possibly look into gettin the engine block heater or the aftermarket heating pads mentioned, but im still open to more suggestions and opinions. (thumb)

imjustagirl said:
there was an ssp/tsb on cold start issues.... when I find it I'll pm you with the info.. when I had my p5 it did that s***.. (notcool) we'll see if my mx does it once it shows up (cabpatch)

The last time I was at the dealership with the p5 they actually told me to use 5w-20 instead... and I live in CA where it rarely gets ~30 degrees. Alot of the mazda3 guys are using 0w-20 that live in really cold areas and that seems to help out a bit. Also what zath said, turn the key to the ACC, or closest position before actually starting, its supposed to help prime the fuel pump or something...

I don't think it should be the oil because I'm using 10w30 right now in temperatures down to -5 and never had any real trouble.

yeah you turn the position to the on/running position. The engine won't actually start up until you push it one notch further to activate the starter. The idiot lights will light up and you'll hear that wonderful mazda beeping sound. wait till it stops then turn the key and start the engine.

The problem would either fall on a weak battery or a starter that is going out. Switch to an optima and that will most likely solve the problem, the stock battery might read that the output is normal for cold weather but it is still low enough to cause starting problems.

Back