SRI vs CAI on the DYNO!

to any naysayers: go convert your CAI to a SRI and see the difference. if you seriously think it made a huge difference, bring your same-day dyno runs here and we can all look at them. until someone can actually prove to me otherwise, i'm stickin with my cobb SRI...;)

which is better , pepsi or coke..ssheeeshh.

another one of those comparison, and aruments evolve ;)

anyways, get what u want, as long as the car can breath, it dont matter what kind of tubing i gets, as the results shows, it's fairly similar.

now here r the facts

sri is cheaper, maintainance is better,
cai CAn hydolock, more expensive.

go figure

i do chuckle at people who think having a CAI is going to ruin their motor in wet weather. people, unless you're forging rivers like in oregon trail, you're not going to get the CAI wet. why? the car has fender liners, and there is no hole at the foglight area for water to enter. you'd seriously have to drive through some deep water to get the filter totally submerged.

Granted I do not have a MS3, but hydrolock IS an issue with a CAI.

A few months ago I was driving in PA when a freak T-storm hit. It rained hardcore for 15 minutes, then died down. Well, flash flooding was a major problem, and as I was driving home, I was going under an overpass at 60 mph, and the road was flooded. I hit it,a nd instanateously, every dash light came on, and the engine stalled. Granted, this is I-95, not some piss ass cow-path. Everyother stock car made it through no problem. The impact of the car hitting the water actually knocked the filter right off of the pipe (and yes, it ws on tight). Luckily, I saw the puddle coming and I shifted to Neutral and took my foot off the gas. I am 100% convinced that if I were on the gas, I would have blown an engine, bent a valve, etc. If you dont think CAI make a difference, I challenge you to break down on I95 in the middle of a travel lane.

Granted I do not have a MS3, but hydrolock IS an issue with a CAI.

A few months ago I was driving in PA when a freak T-storm hit. It rained hardcore for 15 minutes, then died down. Well, flash flooding was a major problem, and as I was driving home, I was going under an overpass at 60 mph, and the road was flooded. I hit it,a nd instanateously, every dash light came on, and the engine stalled. Granted, this is I-95, not some piss ass cow-path. Everyother stock car made it through no problem. The impact of the car hitting the water actually knocked the filter right off of the pipe (and yes, it ws on tight). Luckily, I saw the puddle coming and I shifted to Neutral and took my foot off the gas. I am 100% convinced that if I were on the gas, I would have blown an engine, bent a valve, etc. If you dont think CAI make a difference, I challenge you to break down on I95 in the middle of a travel lane.

What car do you have?

People seem to forget, a SRI can hydrolock as well. It all depends on how deep the water is. Plus the OP's graph shows there is little difference, everything else he states is opinion not fact.

People seem to forget, a SRI can hydrolock as well. It all depends on how deep the water is. Plus the OP's graph shows there is little difference, everything else he states is opinion not fact.

LOL, if you manage to hydrolock w/ the SRI you get special award in my book. That would be the "Special Ed" award.

You'd hydrolock a stock car if you got water high enough to take out an SRI.

I think its been mentioned, but if you cut the Fujita up, you've likely introduced a bit of turbulence into the system with the mock-SRI you made. The Cobb SRI's air straightener is good, solid engineering designed to solve this exact problem.

Damn you for posting this! Now I have to sell the CAI at half price! j/k

Good post, you can see how smoother the SRI's line is. Without you even posting I knew the SRI was the red line. Just more proof the air straightener works!

CAI > RSI : Because : Cobb didnt make RSI yet when i got my CAI lol... 1st one to the finish line gets the win .. lol jk (crazy)

Ha!

Hydrolocked SRI = U-Boat Commander!

Thanks for posting the run! (drinks)
I was kinda already sold on the the SRI anyway and am looking forward to getting it.

Question for Driver311
You state there is no benefit to the cai over sri in terms of air temperature when its past the turbo. My question is, then why does everyone notice a big difference in performance when its cold outside? You hear people saying how much stronger it runs. Perhaps the difference they are noticing is as extreme as a 50 degree or even more between a hot day run and a cold day run. Without being certain, i would guess you can see those same temperature differences in outside air temp compared to under hood close to hot motor air temp. I think the cai has the dramatic benefit of much cooler air than the sri under any circumstance.
Just wondering before i order either cp-e cai (4'' cut from filter tube end) or cobb sri.

Last edited:
Question for Driver311
You state there is no benefit to the cai over sri in terms of air temperature when its past the turbo. My question is, then why does everyone notice a big difference in performance when its cold outside? You hear people saying how much stronger it runs. Perhaps the difference they are noticing is as extreme as a 50 degree or even more between a hot day run and a cold day run. Without being certain, i would guess you can see those same temperature differences in outside air temp compared to under hood close to hot motor air temp. I think the cai has the dramatic benefit of much cooler air than the sri under any circumstance.
Just wondering before i order either cp-e cai (4'' cut from filter tube end) or cobb sri.

the main issue here is that you're talking about a 50 degree difference, but in most cases, the temp difference is not NEARLY 50 degrees between a SRI and a CAI. when your car is rolling at 30mph, outside air is already getting blasted into the engine bay. at this point, there's minimal (if any) difference between taking air from inside the bay (like an SRI) or down by the fender (like a CAI). in theory, the CAI should perform better, but practically speaking, they usually end up getting the about same temp air anyways.

I run a sri because I believe there is no benefit to a cai on a turbo car. Go drive your car for 10-30 minutes. Then pull over and pop your hood. Feel your intake box and tell me what you feel. Im betting it will cold to the touch, just like my sri intake tube is everytime. We have ram ari on our car. Have your forgotten that? The so called cold air is blasting into the engine bay everytime you drive it. I believe and have dyno verification to back my thoughts up that the shorter path of travel is best on a turbo car. On srts and evos its a much bigger difference. On my old srt I picked up 5whp on the dyno taking off my cold air extenstion. so i kept it off after that. Na cars are a different story. Order what you think is best for you. But Im telling you from fact there is no benefit to a cai on this car. The proof is in the dyno numbers.

Just go drive it and feel for yourself.

btw...the question that pops to mind from my previous post is that "what about if you get heat soaked at a stop light and then want to take off fast?" well, here's something to think about: who the heck cares if we don't get the full benefit of our intake from a dig? we're already squealing the crap out of our tires as it is, so just as long as we get full power at 30mph+, will we even notice a real difference in 1/4 mile ET?

in practice, trying to find advantages of the CAI over the SRI becomes harder and harder when you take things out onto the street. when you take realistic scenarios into account, you will probably never ACTUALLY see any sort of perceivable performance improvement over the SRI by using a CAI.

btw...the question that pops to mind from my previous post is that "what about if you get heat soaked at a stop light and then want to take off fast?" well, here's something to think about: who the heck cares if we don't get the full benefit of our intake from a dig? we're already squealing the crap out of our tires as it is, so just as long as we get full power at 30mph+, will we even notice a real difference in 1/4 mile ET?

in practice, trying to find advantages of the CAI over the SRI becomes harder and harder when you take things out onto the street. when you take realistic scenarios into account, you will probably never ACTUALLY see any sort of perceivable performance improvement over the SRI by using a CAI.

Just to chime in on top of that, heat soak will be 100x more of a factor concerning the TMIC than any CAI vs. SRI difference will be. Essentially making the whole issue mute.

Question for Driver311
they notice a big difference because the intercooler is getting the colder air

the intake won't make a difference.

I find two things interesting here.
One is that people keep saying that the engine compartment is constantly blasted by cold air. I disagree. We have that under panel blocking airflow from beneath the front bumper. The air coming under the front of the hood is caught and ducted to the intercooler and battery box. Most of the rest of the air is coming through the radiator and various coolers, where it is picking up heat. In theory an SRI should be sitting in a cloud of hot air. Dyno runs are done in a stationary car with the hood usually open. This means that all that heat from the radiator and coolers (including the intercooler itself) is not trapped under the hood, getting sucked into the SRI. Sounds like it is impossible to do a real comparison of the two on a dyno. The only way to determine which is better is to get someone who doesn't give a rat's ass which is better and has proven racing skills to do some timed performance tests, both 1/4 mile and road track.
The other thing I find interesting here is that the SRI that was tested was not designed to be an SRI but still produced a smoother power curve than the CAI did. Perhaps the SRI has a drivability advantage.

Cobb is releasing a heat shield/box type thing for the SRI with a hose that goes down to the front of the car to suck in cold air. Wouldn't this be almost the best of both worlds? Colder air and no hydrolock worries.

Pics here:
http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/?p=16

Last edited:
Back