squeaking at 95,000 miles, bad pulley bearings?

AEMMAZDA5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
My MP5 started squeaking at about 95,000 miles. I already replaced the alternator and water pump belts, and the squeaking still persists. I'm thinking that the bearings in those pulleys are going bad. Does anyone know anything about this or know where I can get some new, nice pulleys to replace the stock ones? I found the underdrive pulley from unorthodox racing, but I want to replace the water pump pulley and the alternator pulley, as well as the underdrive. Any suggestions?

more then likely its not the pulley's that are making the noise...its the bearings of what ever is going bad. it would help to get a stethescope and pin point the source of the noise. ive seen water pumps, alternators, belt tensionors makes high pitch noises. id rec taking it to a shop if your not comfy diagnosing this yourself

My protege5 (90k miles) has been squeaking too. It started out only squeaking when I made a sharp turn. Now it's squeaking around broad curves in the road.I took in to the shop today to get some new tires- they said my hub bearing was loose which was causing it to squeak. Said it would be about $150 bucks to fix.

I'd get it checked if I were you. Good luck :)

My protege5 (90k miles) has been squeaking too. It started out only squeaking when I made a sharp turn. Now it's squeaking around broad curves in the road.I took in to the shop today to get some new tires- they said my hub bearing was loose which was causing it to squeak. Said it would be about $150 bucks to fix.

I'd get it checked if I were you. Good luck :)

I think mine's a little different than that. It usually only does it when the car is cold, before it's been warmed up. It doesn't do it after it's been warmed up. And it does it the worst when it's really cold outside.

more then likely its not the pulley's that are making the noise...its the bearings of what ever is going bad. it would help to get a stethescope and pin point the source of the noise. ive seen water pumps, alternators, belt tensionors makes high pitch noises. id rec taking it to a shop if your not comfy diagnosing this yourself

That actually sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the tip!

you sure the belts are tensioned properly?

I'm not positive, I've done some tweaking to them a couple of times. I replaced both of the stock belts with the Gatorback Poly-V. I think I just might need to tighten them up since they've probably stretched since the install.

how do you tighten them?

I just tightened them wih a rachet. I was going to torque them, but I wan't sure it needed it and I couldn't get a torque wrench in there to tighten them anyway. :S
Is there a specific way that I should tighten them??

I just tightened them wih a rachet. I was going to torque them, but I wan't sure it needed it and I couldn't get a torque wrench in there to tighten them anyway. :S
Is there a specific way that I should tighten them??

Um, yeah. There is a tool that measures how tight the belts are.

$1 for 2 6" rulers @ walmart, or $XXX? For some 'thing' that does it. Hmmm lol

tape measure / ruler?
you want about an 1/8" deflection on the belt.

Sorry, I really don't know what I'm doing here. New to all of this. :S
What do you mean by an 1/8" Deflection? I'm not sure what to measure.

if the belt is tensioned properly, when you measure the deflection (see below), it should be right around 1/8"

The deflection is how far the belt moves when you press on more or less the center point between 2 pulleys.

*crap* I can't remember how the belt routing is in the protege lol. For an example, let's imagine that it goes crank => alternator => power steering. If you push down between say the alternator and power steering pulleys, the belt should move aprox. 1/8".

if the belt is tensioned properly, when you measure the deflection (see below), it should be right around 1/8"

The deflection is how far the belt moves when you press on more or less the center point between 2 pulleys.

*crap* I can't remember how the belt routing is in the protege lol. For an example, let's imagine that it goes crank => alternator => power steering. If you push down between say the alternator and power steering pulleys, the belt should move aprox. 1/8".

Oh, okay! That makes perfect sense!! Thanks!! I'm going to go try and adjust them right now. The same to alternator and water pump?

you don't really want more or less. Too little deflection (ie: tighter) and there's too much tension. You can end up ruining the belt and putting strain on the pulleys and accessories the belt drives. Too much and the belt'll start slipping.

Like I said, it doesn't have to be EXACT, but the closer the better.

you don't really want more or less. Too little deflection (ie: tighter) and there's too much tension. You can end up ruining the belt and putting strain on the pulleys and accessories the belt drives. Too much and the belt'll start slipping.

Like I said, it doesn't have to be EXACT, but the closer the better.

Precision is always the key right? :) That does make perfect sense though.

Back