Sputtering Issue

onidub

Hey Guys...

I have a 2002 Protege5 with 190k miles. My car is sputtering when accelerating (very noticeably when shifting into 2nd and 3rd). While driving, a check engine light came on - pull the codes and it said my fuel regulator was the culprit. Replaced it and check engine light was gone - but sputtering is still there.

Decided to replace the spark plug wires and spark plugs - less sputter but still feel it when accelerating in 2nd.

My buddy suggested cleaning the throttle body and air filter (but that looked clean). Last option would be replace the ignition coils...

Was posting on here to see if there would be any other suggestions if it still continues... thanks ahead of time.

Last option would be replace the ignition coils...

Replace those, they need it every 30,000. Chances are that they're nearing that mileage or exceeding. Honestly, despite the cost, you should have replaced them when you did the Spark Plugs/Wires.

Hope this helps man, I had to do my plugs, wires and coils because my valve cover gasket blew and there was all sorts of oil in the spark plug housings. Have a Pro5 myself, it was much more fun after the job was done. Got a lot more pep back. Anyway, I digress, good luck man.

+1 definitely try new coilpacks

On top of them needing a change, the Coil packs on these cars are not that great, and are known for going out, so, 30k mi is pretty much the most you'll squeeze out of them, and since yours is at 190k, I'm almost certain they need to be changed. Should do a full fluid flush and change too, high mileage stuff, you know?

Latest posts

Back