Sport Exhaust

INSTALLED SPORT EXHUAST TODAY

I installed the "Mazdaspeed" Sport Exhust today. First I want to say the quality is outstanding. I can't beleive I only paid $200 US for it.

The install was pretty easy, even for one guy (me).

I only ran it for about 30 minutes after install - but here is my opions so far:

It is louder than stock. Surprisingly it is bearly audible at idle - which is something I really liked about the stock setup - the Sport Exhaust did not change that. There is more of a noticialbe "drone" espeacially after 3,000 rpm. Although this car is my daily driver, I bought the car because it INVOLVED me in the driving experience - and the Sport Exhaust just amplifies this experience. When I drive this car I want to just plain drive it, not carry on detailed converstions with my wife, etc.. So for me, I like the pipe, and will keep it. (I will run a dyno test in a couple of weeks and post the results from that.) For me, the only change as far as usability goes for the car because of the Sport Exhaust is that, a couple times a year I make a 600 mile drive (round trip) to visit my folks. With the addition of the Sport Exhaust I guess I would think twice about taking my P5, I may think about using my wifes Impala instead. So for the couple guys concerned about noise levels, I would strongly suggest trying a test drive with someone that already has one - maybe work with your delaer on this. If you think it is going to be too loud - spend your money on a short ram or cold air intake. They will give you a little performance increase, make a little more noise, but not a lot more noise.

- Woody

PS - My new exhaust has the "Mazdaspeed" etched on the tail-pipe.

I got my Sport Exhaust put on today and i love it, it does get loud but i will get use to it. I havent took it for a run on the highway yet but i am very pleased with the sound and look.

I put my sport exhaust on last week. It was loud at first but luckily my wife has adjusted to it and my son still falls asleep in the car.
My P5 is also my family car but I will say that it's the inverse of my CRX Si (CRX gets louder the higher the rpm). You get more torque (3-4 on the butt dyno) in the sub 4k rpm range, the exhaust is louder during normal accelleration/quieter when you're beatin the snot out of it. The top end feels like it drops off at just over 5k (no need to redline).
It's pretty much silent idling and it's such a piece of work it should be on the wall in my house.

I took a 40 mile ride with my wife to go out to dinner the night that I installed the Sport Exhaust. To my surprise she liked it! She did not thinnk it was too loud. I think for the enthusiast, it would not be to loud for most people, espeacially driving solo.

P5Freak mentioned 3 to 4 hp on the butt-o-meter...Mazda does not like to give out figures on the hp increase - but after phone calls to Mazda Customer Service, they cam back with 3 to 4 hp increase. I was skepticial that I would get that much, but after running for about a week, I DO feel that there is a small bump in performance.

When we get a break from the heat wave, I will re-dyno and post the results.

Did you ever run the dyno? What's the consensus on these exhausts? Is there any peroformance gain or is it just an audio/cosmetic mod??

Tex and others,

I did not do the dyno, and try to be patient - I will probably not do the re-dyno until we get into 70 degree weather, which may not be until August. I live in Mpls, MN, and we are having a hot spell, but the weather usually breaks in August. Heat and humidity do effect dyno results, and the "base-line" I did was in 60 degree weather, so I want to get closer to that kind of weather again before I re-dyno.

But the butt metter says, yes, there is a small bump in performance. The big drain on performance I've noticed is running the A/C.

- Woody

That is the main reason why I did not get the A/C, plus the fact that here in Quebec, use of the A/C is only 7 or 8 weeks a year. Considering cost, interest rate paid on price, use and life of this option, It ain't worth it.

I can't wait for the dyno test results, thanks Woody.

Happy 4th of July to our friends down south.

Thanks Red Baron.

We down south in USA did not get the choice. Lately I'd rather be a little hot, and enjoy the zap, I open up the windows, and let her rip.

- Woody

Thanks Woody, I wasn't trying to rush you or anything. Butt-o-meter is a pretty good guide i think. I mean we all know the exhuast isn't going to give us 20 horsepower or anything huge, so if you can feel a little bump for $200 that's cool.

It looks nice and buying that exhaust allows me to buy a CAI AND the exhaust for roughly the same $$ as a full cat back.

Red Baron said:
That is the main reason why I did not get the A/C, plus the fact that here in Quebec, use of the A/C is only 7 or 8 weeks a year. Considering cost, interest rate paid on price, use and life of this option, It ain't worth it.

I can't wait for the dyno test results, thanks Woody.

Happy 4th of July to our friends down south.

Hey Red, I bet these past few days, you whished you had te A/C.;)

I actually had a preety nice day today, and wanted to dyno, but no one picked up the phone at my dyno shop - I suppose they were closed because of the Holiday.

If I get a nice morning, I may try to get in in the next couple weeks - but it may not be until August. Racing Beat said their cat-back would be right around 4 hp max - so if I get 2 to 3 hp from the Sport Exhaust I figure it was a bargain.

I'll post as soon as I get a good day to re-dyno, and don't worry I don't feel pushed to get it done - I mean I'm anxious to see dyno results too.

Take care guys!

- Woody

easy to install??

First of all, you guys are great for giving reliable reviews of all these mods... really helps me to decide what i should blow my college tuition money on first. hehe.

I was wondering how easy it is to install the exhaust. I have never done major work on a car (just painted my calipers ;) ) so don't want to get myself into anything that might have me hurt my baby -err... car.

Is there welding involved? If i take it somewhere to get installed it's going to be like $120US just for labor im sure. I cant afford that right now, and besides... Id much rather not pay that and do it myself.

Liv2Ride21, there's no welding involved, it's a complete bolt-on job (2 nuts and a new gasket, that's it).

the biggest obstacle would be loosening the rusted nuts. I had to ask for friends' help to get it loose. But once it's off the rest is quite easy. use WD-40, lots of it, to loosen it up.

I assume you have a P5, which means it shouldn't be rusted much at all on the pipes, you shouldn't have much trouble loosening up the nuts and install the new muffler.

Thanks, ZoomZoomH.

I do have a P5, and it hasn't really had too much time/exposure to rain for it to rust underneath, so hopefully that won't be too much of a problem.

I think I should be able to handle two bolts...hehe.

LIVE2RIDE21,

The install is really easy. Beleive me you can do it. Just jack the car up in the left rear corner, bungee the old exhaust up (so it doesn't fall unexpectidly), remove the 2 bolts (the one is a little hard to get at) undo the 2 prongs from the rubber exhaust hangers, remove the old O ring, install the new O ring, and resverse procedure above to install the new one.

I did my install alone in about 30 minutes.

- Woody

CORRECTION

Damn, I screwed up. To install you jack up the rear corner on the passenger side.

- Woody

Just back it up on some ramps and go for it! 15mins tops!

Throw some soap on the hangers while you're under there and you'll be pissing off the neighbors in no time. :)

Back