Spongy / Brakes go to the floor

thejash

:
2003 Protege 5
Couple weeks ago I got into the car and my brake light was on and the pedal went to the floor, so I got out and checked the fluid and sure enough the res was just about empty. Grabbed some fluid and put it in but by this point it was too late as some air was already sucked in. I figured since I was going to have to bleed my brakes anyway I might as well grab some new brake lines (Goodrich SS lines).. what a nightmare that was getting the old lines off but anyway.. they are off and new ones are installed. Last night I bled my brakes and they felt pretty good while I was bleeding them, nice and firm. So I go to take it for a test drive, get to the end of the street and the brake goes almost to the floor, not as bad as it was prior to the new lines and fresh bleed but not what you would expect after new lines and a fresh bleed. Also if I pump them they will firm up and feel like they should. By this point it was too late to do anymore work so I just left it. I get in the car this morning and my brake light is back on, I had to go to work so I didn't have time to really check anything but it feels the same as it did last night, I can lock up the brakes but I have to put the pedal to the floor to get it to lock. Possible there is still some air somehow trapped in there? Saw a post some ware about needing an ABS reader tool to open up the valves or something to that effect? I think i'm going to replace my pads and rotors and try bleeding them again but if anyone has some tips, hints or ideas i'm all ears (eyes?).

Thanks,

-Josh

In simplest terms, a low reservoir that trips a brake light is caused by worn pads and/or hydraulic leak. Topping it off instead of replacing pads and retracting the pistons is bad practice since you lose your main indicator of pad usage. Never rely on squeakers as they can fall off on their own or not squeak at all. I don't understand why you didn't change the pads yet you bought brake lines? Since you sucked the reservoir dry did you bleed the lines coming from the master cylinder as well?

Worn pads won't cause it to go through brake fluid that fast inspect the wheels and calipers after you pump you brakes a few times also check the slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder on the firewall if it's none of those it's your master cylinder replace it ASAP because it could be sending fluid into the brake booster and make it go bad as well

Back