Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

c'mon, seriously ? $45K and you want to accept mediocrity ?

of course, we don't expect an Audi Q7 (although I prefer CX-9 in style and CX-9 is probably more reliability)

but we're not asking for high tech features here, even cheap brand new <$20K cars have TRUE 8 way adjustable seats.
Exactly! Especially Mazda itself says the CX-9 has "8-way" power driver seat in all its sales materials. Mazda should either change the sales info to "6-way", or make the production change to "8-way" power driver seat ASAP!

Sounds like you guys want an Audi Q7 for 45K. You ain't gonna get it. I bought my daughter a CX-5 when she went to college and traded it in for a VW Tiguan after 1 year. Just didn't feel like my daughter was safe in it. It had to go back to the dealer no less than 3 times for various technical bulletins and recalls. Vibrating side mirrors, vibrating hood, fuel filler line too close to exhaust. And I just remembered since you guys keep complaining about the power seat adjustment, that CX-5 went through 3 seat power seat motors because it made grinding noises as the seat was being adjusted. My daughter only weighs 110 lbs so I'm not sure what was going on there. Sky active or not, I hope Mazda has learned their lesson in shaving too much weight in order to get fuel mileage. The 2016 CX-9 I had for week long test drive seemed solid. I wanted to keep it but the wife did not like the Signature color combo. Here in the south, a white exterior with sand interior is the best color for heat rejection. We're waiting on her GT AWD that's supposed to be here in a couple of weeks. If the tilt adjustment for the seat bottom is a big deal for you guys, just get another vehicle. I don't think Mazda is gonna make a change until a mid cycle refresh. It seems only the german auto makers can make changes quickly. This has been discussed enough.(yupnope)

That's an aweful lot of issues for one year in a CX-5. What year was her car and when did you trade it in?

BTW, the recall you describe is inaccurate. Had nothing to do with the exhaust. It was a bolt near the fuel line.

Also, you say a dealer gave you a Signature model for a week? That's really odd. Especially since the car just came out and inventory is super slim. What dealer was that? I need to go there!

Exactly! Especially Mazda itself says the CX-9 has "8-way" power driver seat in all its sales materials. Mazda should either change the sales info to "6-way", or make the production change to "8-way" power driver seat ASAP!

it's semantics - mazda seems to think "2-way lumbar support" is included in the "8-way" (6-way adjustable + 2-way lumbar = 8-way), but clearly many on this forum do not.

Technically, it is an 8-way power driver seat since Mazda counts the Lumbar Support Adjustment. Read the Owner's Manual.

Attachments

• 2016 Mazda CX-9 Seat Adjustments 1.PNG
    2016 Mazda CX-9 Seat Adjustments 1.PNG
    39.1 KB · Views: 183
  • 2016 Mazda CX-9 Seat Adjustments 2.PNG
    2016 Mazda CX-9 Seat Adjustments 2.PNG
    20.7 KB · Views: 168
That's an aweful lot of issues for one year in a CX-5. What year was her car and when did you trade it in?

BTW, the recall you describe is inaccurate. Had nothing to do with the exhaust. It was a bolt near the fuel line.

Also, you say a dealer gave you a Signature model for a week? That's really odd. Especially since the car just came out and inventory is super slim. What dealer was that? I need to go there!

It was a 2014 GT. Yeah, I know it had something to do with the filler neck close to something that can damage it. Traded it in this past March. Tiguan has all the safety tech plus Android and Apple Car apps and Car Net, which lets you operate locks with cell phone and tracks the vehicle location plus emergency service. This comes in handy as I know where my daughter is at all times at college. BTW, it has 14 way power adjustable power seats for both driver and passenger seats.(hump) I have been buying cars from this dealer for 30 yrs and I race motorcycles with the owner and his nephew, who's the general manager of the Mazda dealership. Yeah, we're just friendlier down here in the south. I think that's why all you yanks like to move down here. They own 17 car dealerships here in SC. Car dealership is Stokes Mazda. They also own Honda, Toyota, VW, Acura and others so I get first dibs on cars from them. They still have not sold the 3 CX-9s that came in 3 weeks ago. I'm a little miffed that ours did not come in with that shipment. What he told me is that Mazda sent all dealers a Sig edition plus a GT and a sport for their first shipment. Orders from individuals are coming in at end of June. I put in my order when the dealer received their notices to order in January.

Since seat adjustment seems to be such a hot topic, I would like to reiterate that I found the seats extremely comfortable. Also, I have not read a single reviewer comment on the lack of adjustability. If you are concerned, then try the seats yourself. I would be surprised if many people found the lack of adjustability an issue.

For what it's worth, the Highlander has the same adjustability as the CX-9. The $45K Limited Platinum has an 8 way driver and 4 way passenger seat. And it sells like hotcakes.

The Highlander is my favorite vehicle along with the new CX-9 in this segment. I'll be buying next year and those will be my options.

I think the majority of people will be comfortable without tilt. As long as the basic angle is normal then only those who sit abnormally may not like it.

Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing the option but I also don't see it as unacceptable that Mazda omitted it.

For what it's worth, the Highlander has the same adjustability as the CX-9. The $45K Limited Platinum has an 8 way driver and 4 way passenger seat. And it sells like hotcakes.

The Highlander is my favorite vehicle along with the new CX-9 in this segment. I'll be buying next year and those will be my options.

I think the majority of people will be comfortable without tilt. As long as the basic angle is normal then only those who sit abnormally may not like it.

Not saying I wouldn't mind seeing the option but I also don't see it as unacceptable that Mazda omitted it.

Incorrect. The Highlander does not have the same adjustability. It in fact has a tilting seat bottom on the driver's side seat. Here is the correct way in which Toyota describes the seats in the Highlander.

"Perforated leather-trimmed heated and ventilated front-row seats; 8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with memory function and power thigh support and lumbar support; 4-way power-adjustable front passenger seat; perforated leather-trimmed second-row captain’s chairs with side table"

If you add everything that the drivers side seat does by way of power function in the Highlander as Mazda does, it adds up to a 12 way power drivers seat. BIG difference. Let's not forget about the ventilated seats in the Highlander also...

Last edited:
it's semantics - mazda seems to think "2-way lumbar support" is included in the "8-way" (6-way adjustable + 2-way lumbar = 8-way), but clearly many on this forum do not.
Technically, it is an 8-way power driver seat since Mazda counts the Lumbar Support Adjustment. Read the Owner's Manual.
Here are the descriptions on power seat by Mazda from different models:

2016 Mazda6 Touring:
6-way power driver's seat
2016 Mazda6 Grand Touring:
8-way power-adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar adjustment and memory settings

2016.5 CX-5 Touring:
6-way power driver's seat with manual lumbar support
2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring:
8-way power driver's seat with power adjustable lumbar support

2015 CX-9 Touring (and above):
8-way power-adjustable drivers seat with power-adjustable lumbar support
2015 CX-9 Grand Touring (and above):
Drivers power seat memory

2016 CX-9 Touring (and above):
8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support
2016 CX-9 Grand Touring (and above):
Driver's seat memory

And please explain to me why the 8-way power driver's seat with power adjustable lumbar support on Mazda6 GT, CX-5 GT and 1st-gen 2015 CX-9 all have power operations on seat slide, height adjustment, front height adjustment of seat bottom, seat recline, and lumbar support adjustment; whereas the same 8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support on new 2016 CX-9 has power operations on seat slide, height adjustment, seat recline, and lumbar support adjustment but the front height adjustment of seat bottom function which support the seat bottom tilting is missing?

On new 2016 CX-9, when you bring the driver's seat up, it does not just lift it up vertically but instead causes the back of the bottom cushion to be raised more than the front. If you raise the seat too much as the shorter driver would do, the bottom cushion becomes more flat. This works exactly like 6-way power driver's seat found on the Mazda6 Touring and CX-5 Touring. This is inexcusable when the older 2015 CX-9 with the same 8-way description is a true 8-way power seat, but the newer 2016 CX-9, which still claims 8-way, but in fact is a 6-way power driver seat!

No matter how you look at it, it's false advertising!

Last edited:
Incorrect. The Highlander does not have the same adjustability. It in fact has a tilting seat bottom on the driver's side seat. Here is the correct way in which Toyota describes the seats in the Highlander.

"Perforated leather-trimmed heated and ventilated front-row seats; 8-way power-adjustable drivers seat with memory function and power thigh support and lumbar support; 4-way power-adjustable front passenger seat; perforated leather-trimmed second-row captains chairs with side table"

If you add everything that the drivers side seat does by way of power function in the Highlander as Mazda does, it adds up to a 12 way power drivers seat. BIG difference. Let's not forget about the ventilated seats in the Highlander also...

If it tilts, I stand corrected. I couldn't find anywhere that says the seat tilts. I've been in the Highlander and didn't notice the tilt function. It is odd that different companies have different definitions of what "8 way" power seats mean. Mazda counts lumbar, Toyota doesn't. And apparently they don't count the thigh extender as a "way". Why wouldn't they? They seam to be selling themselves short when you read "8- way".

Last edited:
Since seat adjustment seems to be such a hot topic, I would like to reiterate that I found the seats extremely comfortable. Also, I have not read a single reviewer comment on the lack of adjustability. If you are concerned, then try the seats yourself. I would be surprised if many people found the lack of adjustability an issue.

Well I did and they should have too, reviewers oo'd and aa'd over an important feature. Nice seat sure, but when it came to adjusting it to a comfortable and in my opinion safe position it would not do it. As others noted you feel like you're sliding forward, not safe. I just can't believe my almost 7 year old middle of the road Accord has better adjustment options. Lumbar is one this that isn't important if the seat is designed right. It was a deal breaker for me, so I am shopping elsewhere.

If it tilts, I stand corrected. I couldn't find anywhere that says the seat tilts. I've been in the Highlander and didn't notice the tilt function. It is odd that different companies have different definitions of what "8 way" power seats mean. Mazda counts lumbar, Toyota doesn't. And apparently they don't count the thigh extender as a "way". Why wouldn't they? They seam to be selling themselves short when you read "8- way".
No, Mazda doesn't count power lumbar support for its 8-way power seat. See post #673.

Actually car companies are consistent on describing the power seat:

2016.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring:
6-way power driver's seat with manual lumbar support (Standard seat height adjustment only)

2016.5 Mazda CX-5 GT:
8-way power driver's seat with power adjustable lumbar support (Adds seat front height adjustment)

2016 Toyota Highlander:
8-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with memory function and power thigh support and lumbar support

2016 Honda Pilot:
Driver’s Seat with 10-Way Power Adjustment, Including Power Lumbar Support

2016 VW Tiguan:
12-way power-adjustable front seats including adjustable lumbar support and driver-seat memory function

Mazda and Toyota don't include power lumbar support and other power adjustments such as power thigh support into the count of how many ways to adjust the seat. However, Honda and VW do but with a word of "including" for power lumbar support for clarification.

Generally speaking, when car manufacture specs 8-way power seat, it means seat bottom can be tilted. It's just a common practice agreed by them.

Nobody actually says specifically "seat bottom tilts". It uses separate standard seat height and seat front height adjustments to make the seat bottom tilt.

Why is it so hard to understand Mazda simply made a mistake either put wrong 6-way power driver seat into the US version CX-9 or provided false information on a 6-way power driver's sear? It's just as simple as that.

Last edited:
Well I did and they should have too, reviewers oo'd and aa'd over an important feature. Nice seat sure, but when it came to adjusting it to a comfortable and in my opinion safe position it would not do it. As others noted you feel like you're sliding forward, not safe. I just can't believe my almost 7 year old middle of the road Accord has better adjustment options. Lumbar is one this that isn't important if the seat is designed right. It was a deal breaker for me, so I am shopping elsewhere.

I don't see how the CX-9's seat would feel like it's tilting forward when it's clearly tilted back in a normal position. Look at the center console /armrest (level) vs the seats angle.

https://www.cstatic-images.com/stock/1170x1170/89/img153131238-1447886859489.jpg

I can understand some of your frustrations but if we look at the actual numbers, the CX-9's interior isn't as you and others suggest.

The CX-9 has more interior volume than the Sorento. It has more 2nd and 3rd row leg room than the Sorento and more cargo space behind 3rd row.

The CX-9 has more 2nd and 3rd row leg room than the #2 vehicle in the segment, the Highlander. It has the same front row legroom as the Highlander and similar headroom.

Looking the big bloated Pilot we find the same front and middle leg room as the CX-9. Same front headroom and hip room. The Pilot adds room for the 3rd row and cargo but as a result is bulbous looking and the closest to a minivan if that floats your boat.

Also keep in mind the CX-9's 8.9" ground clearance. Most in segment. Hard to believe it's right there with the off road ready Grand Cherokee.

As for the CX-9's beautiful long hood, it seems people think this is some sort of design mistake. The hood's length is very intentional even with no possible V-6 coming. It what separates this design from all the other minivan alternatives. Look at what the Pilot's stubby nose does for its proportions. The long hood is the key element of Kodo design.

When comparing this to the feature filled Sorento SX-L ($46K) it is easy to see why many shoppers might pass up the CX-9. Forgetting that it does the basic elements of the automobile better. THE DRIVE. Designer design inside and out. Luxurious materials which is more defining of luxury than a couple more gadgets. Better fuel efficiency and more.

The CX-9 is a foot longer than the Sorrento--I should hope it has more interior room.

Most, if not all, manufacturers that have power lumbar support count the adjustment out and back as part of their "X way power seats". Nothing new here.

I don't see how the CX-9's seat would feel like it's tilting forward when it's clearly tilted back in a normal position. Look at the center console /armrest (level) vs the seats angle.

https://www.cstatic-images.com/stock/1170x1170/89/img153131238-1447886859489.jpg

... On new CX-9, when you bring the driver's seat up, it does not just lift it up vertically but instead causes the back of the bottom cushion to be raised more than the front. If you raise the seat too much as the shorter driver would do, the bottom cushion becomes more flat. This works exactly like 6-way power driver's seat found on the Mazda6 Touring and CX-5 Touring.

Most, if not all, manufacturers that have power lumbar support count the adjustment out and back as part of their "X way power seats". Nothing new here.
Not necessary. Mazda and Toyota have always been not including power lumbar support and other adjustments such as power thigh support into the count of how many ways to adjust the seat. However, Honda and VW do it but with a word of "including" for power lumbar support for clarification. See post #673 and #676 for examples.

hahahaha, so much talk about one little seat LOL, we get it, Mazda dropped the ball,
I don't think it's far fetched if they add true 8 way seat in 1-2 years after they realize their mistake.

just see the big picture guys, great styling, hopefully great mileage and great engine.
I'm bummed like everyone about the seat, but still the CX-9 looks the best in it's segment,
just depends on how the individual wants to spend their money, I for one think it's absolutely crazy to
spend $68K+ on BMW x5 or $80K+ for Porsche Cayenne but that's because I'm poor LOL
and rather spend $45K on a nice car.

Back