Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

Went to our Mazda dealer with wife today and checked out the new CX-9. They have a Snowflake White Pearl Touring with Premium Package on the showroom floor. We also looked a Machine Gray CX-9 Signature AWD parked at outside. Both of us think this new CX-9 looks beautiful! The salesman said the selling price is MSRP right now and they have another 2 GT's and and Touring's in the back.

Firstly I verified that 2016.5 CX-5 GT doesn't offer 2-position memory driver seat and 6-way power passenger seat. What kids_dad said earlier was false.

Secondly, "8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support" clearly stated in CX-9's sales material is false advertising! The driver seat definitely has only 6-way adjustments: seat slide, height adjustment, and seat recline. Mazda CX-3, CX-5, Mazda6 all say "8-way power driver's seat with power lumbar support" and they all have front height adjustment of seat bottom function which support the seat bottom tilting. So why the same 8-way power driver's seat on most expensive CX-9 from Mazda has in fact is "6-way" power driver's seat with power lumbar support?

Thirdly, still can't get over the high-and-wide front center console. The shift level in fact blocked the HVAC control while in Park position.

Finally, the all-black interior design in white CX-9 makes me feel everything is so dark inside and hard to see things in the cabin. I really wish Mazda can offer more color selections such as gray for interior, not just using black color to cover everything inside the cabin.

I guess the totally redesigned and soon to be released 2017 Acura MDX is worth the wait to check it out. At least Acura finally dumped the ugly thick chrome bar at front and rear as their signature design for Acura. The new front fascia from 2017 MDX looks different and much better than current ones.

I sat in one yesterday for the first time. It was a bit of a disappointment. It's very cramped in the cabin. I too was turned off by the massive center console. Being 6'3", my legs rest against it. The outward visibility seems less than before. The rear seating space is aweful, especially the 3rd row.

Storage in the rear is bad too even with the 3rd row folded, it seems to have no more capacity then my CX-5. The seats didn't fold completely flat like Gen 1 CX-9 did.

I sat in a Touring w/tech package. The wheels looked too small for the car (18"). The car was designed with the 20's in mind and anything smaller looks awkward.

I was really excited for this car to come out. I must say I'm disappointed so far. Maybe a test drive will change my mind, but I doubt it. I can't see spending $40k on something with marginal advantages over my CX-5 that I paid $27k for 4 years ago.

I call total bull on awful rear seat space and cargo area...it's as big as cx 5...really?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I call total bull on awful rear seat space and cargo area...it's as big as cx 5...really?

34.1 cu ft in the CX-5, 38.2 with 3rd row folded in CX-9.

Why pay all the extra $$$ for barely any more room when not using the 3rd row.

You can think of it as a total redesign, but it's not. New (horribly ugly) front end, new tall lights and trim pieces, and refreshed interior. Same engine, drivetrain, structure, and most body panels. That's what the industry calls a "refresh".
Yeah, I agree. Even the "refreshed" 2017 MDX can't compare to CX-9 on exterior design and I'll pick CX-9 in a heart beat if the outside design is my only concern. But 2017 Acura MDX does offer a "totally new" "Sport Hybrid" powertrain.

So Mazda would call its 2nd-gen 2017/2018 CX-5 a "refresh" as it has "new front end, new tall lights and trim pieces, and refreshed interior. Same engine, drivetrain, structure, and most body panels"? ;)

First of all, the 2017 CX-5 isn't out yet. If you are referring to the 2016 +, that was a refresh. The CX-5 1st gen is 2013-present. The 2nd gen hasn't come out yet

... I was really excited for this car to come out. I must say I'm disappointed so far. Maybe a test drive will change my mind, but I doubt it. I can't see spending $40k on something with marginal advantages over my CX-5 that I paid $27k for 4 years ago.
It's funny that I have exactly the same feeling like you after I physically checked out the new CX-9. There's no doubt new CX-9 is the most beautiful 3-row CUV you can find on the market. But beauty can't be just skin deep and it leaves something to be desired. Actually, CX-5 has something better than CX-9 in addition to price, it has true "8-way" power driver seat and it's not false advertising!

Last edited:
First of all, the 2017 CX-5 isn't out yet. If you are referring to the 2016 +, that was a refresh. The CX-5 1st gen is 2013-present. The 2nd gen hasn't come out yet
I was referring to "totally new" 2nd-gen CX-5 which will be in LA Auto Show this coming November and will be for sale next year as 2017 or 2018 MY in the US. But there're specs leaking out.

It's funny that I have exactly the same feeling like you after I physically checked out the new CX-9. There's no doubt new CX-9 is the most beautiful 3-row CUV you can find on the market. But beauty can't be just skin deep and it leaves something to be desired. Actually, CX-5 has something better than CX-9 in additional to price, it has true "8-way" power driver seat and it's not false advertising!

My CX-5 is a Touring model. Only has a 6-way power seat 😒

The CX-9 is beautiful and the interior design/build quality is very good. I just think for a car that is nearly 200 inches long to be that small on the inside is a design disaster.

The CX-5 is 178 inches long (21 inches shorter then the CX-9) yet second row leg room is identical (39.4 to 39.3) cargo space is 34.1 in the CX-5 and 38.4 in the CX-9 (3rd row folded) which is very comparable. That shouldn't be. They lost 10 cu ft over the previous gen. What were they thinking?? No wonder why Mazda wants you to concentrate on the drive. That, combined with the beautiful design, is the only justifiable selling point.

I need more room for thoes instances we need extra seats for people when relatives come to town, kids activities and friends, etc. I'm a big fan of Mazda, but this CX-9 is disappointing when it comes to useable space. I'm bummed.

I was referring to "totally new" 2nd-gen CX-5 which will be in LA Auto Show this coming November and will be for sale next year as 2017 or 2018 MY in the US. But there're specs leaking out.

What specs have leaked out? Can you please provide a reliable link? I've scoured the Internet for a while now, and nothing reliable to speak of.

Yeah, I agree. Even the "refreshed" 2017 MDX can't compare to CX-9 on exterior design and I'll pick CX-9 in a heart beat if the outside design is my only concern. But 2017 Acura MDX does offer a "totally new" "Sport Hybrid" powertrain.

So Mazda would call its 2nd-gen 2017/2018 CX-5 a "refresh" as it has "new front end, new tall lights and trim pieces, and refreshed interior. Same engine, drivetrain, structure, and most body panels"? ;)
Not sure where you are seeing all this info on "2nd Gen" CX-5. But if it's as you say, and Mazda is calling it 2nd Gen, then they are defrauding their customers.

This source is a thread about speculation of a premiere at the 2016 LA Auto Show? A thread with the last post on 4/20/16, which is 7 months before the LA Auto Show. Do you have any links to what actually was displayed at the LA Auto Show? Which, by the way, was where they debuted the '16 CX-9; it would be pretty bad marketing to have the worldwide unveiling of the CX-9, and a debut of the next year's CX-5, at the same show.
Mazda usually is debuting its new models in LA Auto Show for US market. It's not a surprise that the 2nd-gen CX-5 would be displayed in the show like new CX-9 did last November.

Mazda usually is debuting its new models in LA Auto Show for US market. It's not a surprise that the 2nd-gen CX-5 would be displayed in the show like new CX-9 did last November.

An assumption that the 2017 CX-5 will debut at the LA Auto Show is a pretty good one considering Mazdas history of reveals at that show. However, the info in that article is complete and utter speculation by someone with zero inside information. I don't believe any of it.

An assumption that the 2017 CX-5 will debut at the LA Auto Show is a pretty good one considering Mazdas history of reveals at that show. However, the info in that article is complete and utter speculation by someone with zero inside information. I don't believe any of it.
It's not speculation. If you can read Japanese or Chinese, there have been plenty of reports in Asia about 2nd-gen Mazda CX-5. Here is one:

2nd Gen Mazda CX-5 Could Be Seen in 2016 LA Auto Show!?

Here you go!!!!
CX5 MEMORY SEAT

d0d4b36cb26068d50d32c4707436fa57.jpg
07cc797678d43330338805519b7d2cb8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

34.1 cu ft in the CX-5, 38.2 with 3rd row folded in CX-9.

Why pay all the extra $$$ for barely any more room when not using the 3rd row.
That barely any more room means I can put my snowboard in the trunk of cx 9....not in my subaru Outback with 35 cu ft. 3rd row seat is a major convenience when u need it and necessity for me with 3rd kid on the way

Latest posts

Back