Spied: 2017 Mazda CX-9

I still don't get why people with 2 kids think they need 3 row cuv

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The answer is simple: Car seats. Put two car seats in the back of a two row CUV and you no longer have reasonable space for even one more passenger. (Try sitting between two car seats in anything smaller than a Yukon/Tahoe and you'll know what I mean.)

Another person commented that the lack of 3rd row room is OK since this car is for people who favor sport over utility. Why? My 2009 CX-9 was the best driver's car in the class AND had one of the more usable 3rd rows. It's a shame when a car that is class leading in one area or another sacrifices that advantage and moves closer to the average. Note that Mazda is not alone. GMs Lambdas offered the best cargo and 3rd row space in the class. Their legroom and headroom in the 3rd row were both reasonable and they could fit three across. The new Lamdas sacrifice all of this. As with Mazda, they can point to the same research that probably shows that 3rd rows aren't used all the time and rarely with three passengers and customers want lighter weight and better fuel efficiency. This might be true but it also means that the market is becoming more homogeneous, customers will have less meaningful choice, and manufacturers may loose their competitive advantage.

Ok u lost me totally on more manly look of pilot lol. If anything stronger, more chisseled lines on cx9 look...manly. Pilot looks ok in top trim....anything else looks boring and dated even before leaving dealership

Agreed - there's nothing whatsoever "manly" about the new Pilot. It looks like a minivan with a long schnozz. A chromey blob with an unfinished tail and way too much going on up front. Ugh. I asked the salesman if it came with a free pair of mom jeans. :)

The 1st gen Pilot (which I owned until recently replacing it with a Durango R/T) is still the best looking Pilot.

That XC90 is going to be over $50k in a hurry after adding a few options you will surely want.

And the Q7 starts at $55k. You're in an entirely different class now than the CX-9. Those who can afford the Q7 will not be cross-shopping it with the Mazda.

One has to admit that the Q7 and, to a lesser extent the XC90, are in a different price bracket than the CX9--regardless of whether people will cross-shop them (and I happen to be one of those people).

My question is whether a $55K XC90 or $65K Q7 is significantly better than a $45K Mazda CX9 in ways that are important to me? YMMV.

If I can save $15 to $20K on a vehicle that I would thoroughly enjoy driving and owning then I'm all over that. Jury still out for me BTW as I haven't yet driven the latest versions of either the XC-90 or the Q7. I'll also be looking at the 2017 MDX and the Jaguar F-Pace (which would mean compromising on the 3rd row).

Agree with the posters who say that the Pilot is bloody utilitarian but also bloody minivan-like. IMHO the CX9 beats everything I've mentioned in the 'manly' looks department (except for the F-Pace which I haven't seen in the flesh). Beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that--but most beholders on record seem to agree with how I'm seeing things.

Got to check one out in person while picking up the new CX-5...
So it's time for you to get another new Mazda CX-5?! Congrats! Can you confirm if 2016.5 CX-5 offers memory driver seat and power passenger seat like the other member claimed earlier?

... The center console and shifter are placed much higher in the cabin than I would ever want, made the cockpit feel claustrophobic.
This is something many people found is the wast of space. Some critiques say the shifter will block HVAC controls when in Park. My wife didn't want a CX-9 for the exact reason you mentioned. And I have several friends, one had owned many Mazda's bought a couple of Acura MDX's instead of CX-9's for the exact same reason - center console!

Acura MDX is a good 3-row CUV alternative. You usually can get one for good price. Two friends got it recently for $40K~$45K almost full loaded after they checked CX-9 out. 290 hp 3.5L V6 has good power. With 9-speed AT and "Idle-Stop" it has EPA 20/27/23 for FWD and 19/26/22 (city/hwy/comb) for SH-AWD. The only thing I don't like is the timing belt which requires routine replacement.

I know you can find bad things on any vehicle but that XC 90 sounds like a great "lease" vehicle only.

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/any-2016-xc90-owners-out-there-86009/

If a CX-9 wasn't a consideration I'd look at an MDX before the other options listed... I am very averse to Audi.. just my opinion :)

Saw a signature CX-9 at dealer today... unfortunately it was locked up so didn't get a chance to play around in it. Looked nice.

So it's time for you to get another new Mazda CX-5?! Congrats! Can you confirm if 2016.5 CX-5 offers memory driver seat and power passenger seat like the other member claimed earlier?

This is something many people found is the wast of space. Some critiques say the shifter will block HVAC controls when in Park. My wife didn't want a CX-9 for the exact reason you mentioned. And I have several friends, one had owned many Mazda's bought a couple of Acura MDX's instead of CX-9's for the exact same reason - center console!

Not on the cx5 Touring model, but I did see it shown in the new instruction manual... I think that the memory seat must be for the Grand Touring model..

Are those power seat changes part of the 2016.8 model? :)

They had a '16.5 GT on the dealer floor today. I didn't check the actual build date though. No memory switches that I saw. The seats seemed identical at least from a comfort level to my '15 GT.

I hadn't sat in one of the new Miatas yet... that would be a fun little car.

I have no clue about 15 seats ...but 11 has totally different seats....new design is waaaaaaay more comfortable imho

Not on the cx5 Touring model, but I did see it shown in the new instruction manual... I think that the memory seat must be for the Grand Touring model..
The owner's manual for 2016 CX-5 does show "Seat Position Memory" function on page 2-8, but the feature is missing on actual CX-5's for North American market.

Ok u lost me totally on more manly look of pilot lol. If anything stronger, more chisseled lines on cx9 look...manly. Pilot looks ok in top trim....anything else looks boring and dated even before leaving dealership

lol, yea compared to the rounded ness of the cx9, which in contrast to the boxier frame of the pilot, the cx9 looks more feminine.

Agreed - there's nothing whatsoever "manly" about the new Pilot. It looks like a minivan with a long schnozz. A chromey blob with an unfinished tail and way too much going on up front. Ugh. I asked the salesman if it came with a free pair of mom jeans. :)

The 1st gen Pilot (which I owned until recently replacing it with a Durango R/T) is still the best looking Pilot.

long schozz? umm have you seen the new cx9? i hated the 1st gen pilot, it looks like it copied too much of the style of the mitsubishi montero/pajero at the time. the current gen pilot is clearly the best looker.

Mazda didn't get my business because the sale start date of it was never public knowledge soon enough. I ended up buying a new Pilot Touring in the middle of May. I do think the new Pilot is ugly, but my wife really likes it, so that is going to be her vehicle now. Mine wI'll now be our '14 odyssey. I poked around a new CX-9 outside of a dealership the other day and still thought the size and build quality looked terrific, but I do not believe that I could have fit 3 child seats across. That would have been a deal breaker for me, even though I'm sad to hear of all the other shortcomings from you all

If the turbo SkyActiv powerplant is still known as reliable in the next few years the CX-9 might be my Explorer replacement as towing capabilities are well within specs I need. I would have to eat crow though as I have repeatedly stated my concerns about turbos and long term reliability.

Get a fork and knife ready. Sure, 1980s era turbos were not reliable, but that's just not the case anymore.

Acura MDX is a good 3-row CUV alternative. You usually can get one for good price. Two friends got it recently for $40K~$45K almost full loaded after they checked CX-9 out. 290 hp 3.5L V6 has good power. With 9-speed AT and "Idle-Stop" it has EPA 20/27/23 for FWD and 19/26/22 (city/hwy/comb) for SH-AWD. The only thing I don't like is the timing belt which requires routine replacement.

I've looked at the MDX, please note that it requires premium fuel to get that extra 30hp over the Pilot. We have 2 2016 Pilots in our company fleet and the 9 speed auto seems to hunt a lot. Really annoying. Its reminds me of driving the Honda Odysseys we use to have. On the highway, the road noise is intrusive in the Pilot. Premium is up to 60 cents more per gallon than regular. I have not seen 20 mpg in town driving. 25 was the most on business trip on the interstate. Please also note that you do not get LED headlights in the Pilot unless you get the Elite Edition. With 4WD, that vehicle is 49K. Might as well buy a Full size Tahoe or Suburban.

I (or should I say my wife) have owned 3 CX-9s, Honda Pilot, Honda minivans and station wagons. Kids are now grown, 1 in college and 1 in high school. Being an engineer and certified gear head (I also race dirt bikes), am into better driving dynamics but also practical.

IMO, if you have small kids and want 3rd row room, you need to get a minivan, specially if the kids are still in car or booster seats. Its not worth it to fight this battle of trying to find a CUV with enough room for kids stuff to fit in. You really can't have your cake and eat it too with CUVs. If you want room, you're gonna lose out on looks and driving dynamics. Same if you know you are gonna carpool or want adults to fit in the third row. The CX-9 and most other CUVs 3rd row are for occasional or emergency use. This is why my wife still want a 3rd row. For times when she and her school teacher buddies need to carpool to lunch. She also likes the fact that she has an extra large trunk when the 3rd row is folded. The 3rd row stays folded 95% of the time in her CX-9.

Having said all of this, I had a 2016 CX-9 Sig in my garage for a week to compare with our existing 2013 CX-9. There are not enough differences in dimensions between the 2 to quibble about. We returned it to the dealer yesterday because my wife is stuck on a white exterior/sand interior color. We will wait for the GT AWD that's supposed to come in at the end of the month. Mazda apparently builds cars in batches with the color combos. All CX-9s that were delivered the past 2 weeks have black interior, except of course the Sig edition.

The really only thing that bothered me about the new CX-9 was the non-tilting seat bottom but it doesn't bother my wife so I guess I'm okay with it.

Of course I'm spoiled by my 16-way adjustable seats in my Touareg which also has a/c cooled seats for both driver and passenger. What other 2 row SUV can average 25mpg city and over 30 hwy mpg, tow 7700 lbs, and go 0 - 60 in 6.5 sec? (thinkbeer

Any concerns on the legal future of that TDI? or is that one that can easily be retrofitted?

None at all. It is the best diesel out there and that includes the BMW and Mercedez diesels. Nothing wrong with the 3.0 TDI. EPA is holding it hostage until an agreement has been reached with the 2.0 4-cyl TDI. It has now been confirmed that an agreement has been reached with this issue and will be announced on June 21st. Most insiders are saying that at most, a small software reflash will be needed with the 3.0 if at all needed. The problem is gonna be the 4 cyl TDI built from 2009 - 2011. Those will most likely be bought back and the owners will get a large cash compensation. Most owners of TDI that I have talked to are real happy they have them. You can't beat the performance/fuel mileage and towing capability. My dealer has over 20 TDIs that are spoken for when the EPA lifts the sales ban. The media, of course, has blown it out of proportion, along with plaintiff attorneys. Think about it, it hasn't killed anyone. The germans were just too smart for their own good.

Has anyone considered purchasing a CX-9 in Canada and bringing it over into the US? With an exchange rate of $1.31 CDN to $1 US, the MSRP of a CX-9 Signature is about $40K US ($52K CDN), a $4K discount without even negotiating. It just goes lower from there depending on one's negotiation skills. I think a GT is about $36,300 US and AWD is standard in Canada for all trims except the base.

Back