Spent the weekend in a 2009 Mazda 6 GT-V6

Mazda3

:
2007 CX-7 GT and 2008 Tribute GT AWD
I currently own a 2007 CX-7 GT AWD with a few months left on the lease. Before that I had a 2004 Mazda 6 GT-V6, so I am very familiar with the 1st gen car as well.

It might be an age thing (I'm 40 now), but I really love the changes on this car. The V6 is quieter and smoother than the old V6. The power speaks for itself, this car now halls ass with automatic in every gear. The old style was really only quick if you had the manual tranny and were willing to absolutely thrash it. Now there is big power all the time at any speed with a simple push of the pedal.

Like the engine the ride is smoother and quieter than the old model. Interior quality is excellent, right in line with more expensive cars like the Acura TL. The new features are great. My quickly becoming 6 FT son loves the extra room in the back seat for those long highway trips and the trunk is HUGE. I can actually fit more stuff in the trunk of the new 6 than the back of my CX-7. I got out the hockey equipment and suit cases and made a direct comparison of useable space, VERY impressive.

The only thing I could find on the car that wasn't exactly the way I would like it was the front seats. The seats are very comfortable, but the are lacking the side support of the typical Mazda seat. I think they made them this way to attract the older Camry type buyer, but you slide around a little if you throw it hard into a corner. My CX-7, 04 Mazda 6, and 06 Mazda 3 GT all had a sportier seat with more side support. But all things considered I could live with this, becuase I love the rest of the car.

The steering is a little more disconnected from the road than the 1st gen 6, which is what some of the 1st gen owners are complaining about. Again the softer steering is to attract a wider range of buyers. What I found was the at the limit handling is as good as the old 6, but the steering isn't as connected. When I first started to drive the car it made me a little unsure of the handling because you can't feel the road as much. I did find that I got used to it over the course of the weekend though. Much like anything you have to get used to it. The handling is there, you just have to learn how to use it. The overall driving experience ends up being more pleasant once your used to the steering. Granted if you wanted to go road racing the old 6 is more suited to that, but I personally don't think the old 6 was a car I would buy for that purpose either.

I'm now about 90% sure this will replace the CX-7 in a few months.

Hey there Mada3, Funny, I just sold my (drive2) GTO(notice screen name) to a guy in Canada...

Anyway, Welcome to the (new) mazda 6 (drinks)

Back