Sound dampners ideas for our 5's

belleth

:
2007 Mazda 5
So, while doing the speakers, I'll tear out the back to apply dynamat like material to kill some rattles and road noise.

The reason I say "danamat like", I really don't want to spend the money for real Dynamat, plus not sure how much of an actual benefit I will see, since the car is not being made for "sound performance", just to make it better.

I've spent 2 days researching this... and it sucks... the more I read the more confusing info I get. I guess out of all the materials out there, I'm curious if anyone has good things to say for any of the bellow (or others)

Dynamat (even though not my top choice due to price)
Fatmat
Fatmat Mega
Raamat
any others?
Highly in the running is HomeDepot (quick roof i think), it is butyl based, doesn't smell and withstands high temperatures. The only factor here is price, I can't remember how much it is, and it might actually be a bit more than regular Fatmat.

I like the idea of Ensolite going on top of whatever I finally choose to put down, however there are some home made versions I'm exploring (for price reduction), which has wool felt in the running. True wool felt has great sound isolation specs, but not sure about the price and if it can be replaced with the much cheaper synthetic material.

Also, would you guys recommend completely enclosing the doors, or just apply material here and there.

Just as a suggestion. Honda makes a 4'x4' sheet of sound deadning pad. Part numer is 72846-282-305AH list price is $100.15 I don't know how much the other stuff is but I thought I'd post this for reference and info.

Thanks for the idea.

Just for point of refference, Fatmat is about $1-$1.20 a sq ft. Ensolite is about $1.1 for the non adhesive version.

I've never done any sound insulation but from what I've read, raamat and fatmat are the two best dynomat alternatives + ensolite is the best way to go. I don't like and would skip the roofing material. Get what you pay for ;)

I think a MORE important topic is identifing areas that makes the most noise to focus on.

so here is a quick update :)

After a quick trip to Home Depot, I'm scratching the roofing stuff idea, it just smelled, plain and simple.

as far as ensolite goes, I've found a distributor for Neoprene, which should be pretty good at sound insulation. I'm still researching this, but might be a good option.

Not sure about other products by I recommend Dynamat bulk kit from Amazon for about $134 shipped. It's enough material to do the doors and probably the roof. Dynamat's made here in the USA and saw some people on Youtube that said it wasn't. Another plus is Dynamat sticks even at lower temp, and does not smell at all, none.

Dynamat seems pricier than other knock off brand initially but once you start puttin them on, it's worth every penny. I've asked quite a few people about other brands and they all came back unanimously to go with Dynamats. Put Dynamats on outside sheetmetal and cover it up as much as you can get to them. It will work wonders, guaranteed.
So, while doing the speakers, I'll tear out the back to apply dynamat like material to kill some rattles and road noise.

The reason I say "danamat like", I really don't want to spend the money for real Dynamat, plus not sure how much of an actual benefit I will see, since the car is not being made for "sound performance", just to make it better.

I've spent 2 days researching this... and it sucks... the more I read the more confusing info I get. I guess out of all the materials out there, I'm curious if anyone has good things to say for any of the bellow (or others)

Dynamat (even though not my top choice due to price)
Fatmat
Fatmat Mega
Raamat
any others?
Highly in the running is HomeDepot (quick roof i think), it is butyl based, doesn't smell and withstands high temperatures. The only factor here is price, I can't remember how much it is, and it might actually be a bit more than regular Fatmat.

I like the idea of Ensolite going on top of whatever I finally choose to put down, however there are some home made versions I'm exploring (for price reduction), which has wool felt in the running. True wool felt has great sound isolation specs, but not sure about the price and if it can be replaced with the much cheaper synthetic material.

Also, would you guys recommend completely enclosing the doors, or just apply material here and there.

I realize that Dynamat is probably the Gold standart here.... However, it is the price that's pushing me away. Like you mentioned $134 that can do doors and roof. Fatmat has 50mil on Amazon, 100 sq ft for $129, which should cover like the whole car.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
my reasoning is, if it is at least 80% as effective, it is worth it to me, because it's probably half price.

You are absolutelly right though, Dynamat is highly recommended, and I understand that alternative might be that I have to double/triple the layers to get the same effect, however, with 100 sq ft, I don't think it will be an issue. I do need a lot though, because I want to enclose the door shells.

Very good article, yes, thin sheetmetal, particularly the outer skin of the Mazda's which are very thin acts as a speaker. Which is probably why just by doing the doors will greatly cut down on interior noise.

Also, couple of things the article fails to mention about sound dampning. Yes, I agree that the article is based on vibration reducing that's coming from the outside of the sheetmetal, which probably do not require dampning material to cover all surfaces. However, if you installed a new sub and installed some nice speakers, then you don't want sounds that you want to hear to bounce all over the place inside the car which causes harmonics, i.e. certain sounds cancels or reinforces at the most inopportune time, which makes it sound not so optimal. If you want a good sounding audio as well as to reduce outside noise, then your best bet is to cover as much exposed vibratable sheetmetal as possible.

BTW, I know cost is a factor but thinking of it logically... if you were going through all the hassel of removing panels, and applying the "mat" with sore fingers and cuts afterwards, wouldn't it make sense to go with the best because almost 99% chance that you'd never remove the panels down the road as long as you own the car? (no pun intended). Depending on how long you keep the car, initial cost diffference spread out across the days you own the car would probably be just pennies per day. That's just my way of thinking....

Last edited:
check out the mz3 electronics forum for some tips/hints on what you are considering. Also, check out diymadotcom for some really good info on your project, info on sound deadening to the installs on various autos. Might even find another 5 that someone posted with some tips, etc.

Here's thread that I started for the Dynamat install and waiting to install the overhead DVD player. I initially wanted some noise reduced using Dynamat near the new speakers then it became something more than that. Now I am very happy as the car's so quiet and pleasent. Now I just need to get the rear windows professionally tinted because it's the only thing I can't really do.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123808358-Dynamats
Hey all, I liked the conversation. This forum really rocks.

This may be helpful for you to know the different layering materials - http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

And how little of dynomat type material to use - http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/products/cld
What a blast from the past! I remember the site when it first started. It was very different and as the site name suggest, it was originally all about comparing (quality, effectiveness, and price/shopping) on different DA! It seems the author has evolved and looking at sound deadening with a different approach and sells his own product too (he had his whole car dynomatted). A good read but makes me wonder if it'll change again as new ideas come up. Nice find flcruising.

FYI, you cannot dampen sound. Dampen means to make wet. You can damp it though. To damp means to attenuate.

dampen
v. dampened, dampening, dampens
v.tr.
  1. To make damp.
  2. To deaden, restrain, or depress: "trade moves . . . aimed at dampening protectionist pressures in Congress" (Christian Science Monitor).
  3. To soundproof.

v.intr.
To become damp.

Back