Sonic Silver vs Red

HanchenLi

:
CX-5
I want to buy a new 2016 CX-5
My favorite is black, but no local dealers have it.

So I have to choose from Sonic Silver and Red.
I don't care about the $300 extra for red.

What do you think is better?
Is red car easy to get dirty? How often do you wash your red car?

If you have some photos of your Sonic Silver/Red CX-5s, please upload it.
Thanks

Just order the black one if that's what you want. I'm sure some dealer is willing to cater to your desire.

I have the soul Red. Its garage parked, but just from getting rained on and dust, it still looks good from 20' away.
The silver looks good too, shows off the lines really nice. Lighter colors don't show dust as easy.
Google CX5 + color and you'll get a 1000 pics.

If you're worried about dirt showing, black is not what you want.
Personally not a fan of black, but if I was, I wouldn't settle for the color at the local dealer. It can't be that hard to locate a black unit nearby. I was just at our local dealer and I counted 80 new CX5's on the lot.

Last edited:
Just order the black one if that's what you want. I'm sure some dealer is willing to cater to your desire.

I asked all the three local dealerships, none of them have one.
They don't order cars either. They said Mazda cars are distributed, I can't order one.

I was told the same thing, fortunately they had what I wanted....and I did it all over the phone/internet/FEDEX

They don't order cars either. They said Mazda cars are distributed, I can't order one.

Last edited:

I live an hour + north of you. I bought mine from a Chicago area dealer. Check online at the Mazda website for the car that you want. The Mazda website has a vehicle locating feature. If your dealer won't trade for one, then you could buy it yourself. Any Mazda dealer can do warranty service.

Love my 2016 Red CX-5 GT. I had a slight concern about red, but I changed my mind and am glad i selected it. Never had a red car before- thought it might generate more attention from local law enforcement. I'm over that and watch grey and black cars get pulled over. The red color really catches the light and the body styling makes it look like the photos and videos used to promote the brand. I thought the photos were touched up, but the car really does look like that! Just wish the rear window would stay clean- small issue.

That's total BS that the dealer can't order you one. At least they could do is tell you what vehicles they are expecting from port and put a request in for one or something. Like someone else said, go to a different dealer or ask your dealer to do a trade. I don't know what trim level you're looking at but I searched mazdausa.com for black GT's and three popped up about 65 miles away. Ray Skillman mazda and Tom Roush Mazda are showing black ones in the GT trim. Your local dealer should be able to trade for those. Mine came from Madison WI to Milwaukee WI, about 70 mi away. Either request the transfer or make the drive yourself if you really want a black one.

I am partial to the Soul Red because I ended up with one. I have never been a red guy and went in looking for white or grey. Then I saw the soul red on the lot at dusk and the sun was hitting it just right...it looked like it was glowing. The color is amazing in different shades of the sun. From the back angle at sunset the color is just incredible. Flakes of metallic make it look like a burnt orange. The car can go from a dark cherry to a burnt orange depending on what the light is like.
Washing...well that's another story. Depends on how anal you are...I wash mine once a week and always when the sun is going down, never in direct sunlight. Well worth the extra $300 IMO, there is more effort put into the paint to make it look like that and it shows.

Thank you all. I think I will go with soul red
I am now taking an internship in Silicon Valley. They don't have as many AWD cars as they have in Indiana.
They have tons of sonicsilver cars. I guess dealers are eager to sell them

Stick with your guns and get a black one, dude. Why can't you wait a little more and get the color you really want instead of giving up and getting a color that you're not entirely decided on?

I see people driving red vehicles looking at MY red car I guess hoping that there car looks like mine-NOT!!!!!

My last truck was "silver" so when when I went to get my "16" CX5 , the pearl white was what is was looking at when "a red one" rolled up to the showroom front door.....Thats the one that I drove home....

Dragonsback79: That is exactly what got me,,,, sometimes in the sun a little orangey... evening like red wine or black cherries... the comments from my neighbors are, its like it gets repainted at sunset....So glad I got the red

Last edited:
speaking of silver, anyone know why they got rid of liquid silver? gorgeous color IMO, that's got a lot more going on than your average silver.

speaking of silver, anyone know why they got rid of liquid silver? gorgeous color IMO, that's got a lot more going on than your average silver.
I did ask my salesman the same question. He said the Liquid Silver has had some "issues" and Mazda decided to change to new Sonic Silver.

Latest posts

Back