Some pictures of my Homelink mirror install....

IMG_3829_zpsf551ced1.jpg

IMG_3820_zps4532d39f.jpg

IMG_3788_zps47dae99b.jpg

IMG_3799_zpsb389baae.jpg

IMG_3830_zpse2f23ae9.jpg

Don't forget to save your old mirror so when you trade the cx9 in you can pull the homelink out and use it in your next car!

Does the headliner un-snap to run wire under it? Any chance that you could include one picture from outside looking in along edge of headliner?

No way to get a picture up under there. The installation kit from Mazda says to use a "fiber stick" to tuck the wire in there. Basically there is tons of room. I just pushed the wire between the windshield and the headliner with my finger and the wiring dropped into the recessed area inside the headliner, really really easy. The hardest part was both removing the A-Pillar trim due to the strangely designed clip that pops out 1/2 inch and then has to be slid upwards, and then finding the correct blue/red wire on the 16 pin connector was a slight challenge.

Basically there is tons of room. I just pushed the wire between the windshield and the headliner with my finger and the wiring dropped into the recessed area inside the headliner, really really easy.

Thanks, can't tell you how bad some of the installs I've seen

Going to be adding this to the new CX-9 shortly. Can't believe that a $37k car does not come standard with an auto dimming mirror. Just seems cheap IMHO. Where did you find the mirror? was it new or used? Thanks.

BBro420, I actually bought it from another Mazdas247 forum member who traded in his CX-9 for a new Dodge Durango (shame I know, I scolded him).
He thankfully took his accessory mirror off first and then traded the car in. Out of the goodness of his heart he sold it to me for 75.00 shipped. Needless to say I was extremely grateful.
----
The GT's now do come with the homelink mirror, but in 08 it was an "option" for mine which was msrp 39k new. Rediculous.
----
It was "used"
----
I also purchased the oem installation kit on eBay for 25.00 free shipping.
There are still install kits on eBay for 25.00 oem.
----
Be advised, the exact mirror you need is the 000 8C Z02. That is universal for the CX-9 with or without rain sensing wipers.
However, the install kit is specific to rain sensors, you need the kit for your specific application, either with, or without rain sensor, whichever applies to you.
----
You can find the Z02 mirror on eBay. DO NOT BUY A MIRROR UNLESS EITHER THE DESCRIPTION SAYS IT IS 000 8C Z02, OR YOU SEE A PHOTO OF THE BACK SIDE OF THE MIRROR, AND TOWARDS THE BOTTOM OF THE MOLDED PRINT, YOU SEE THAT PART NUMBER.
----
There are mirrors that look exactly the same, but will not fit TRUST ME. I had a salvage vendor almost send me one that was for a "CX-9" and then after confirming the vin number off the car it came from, it was off a CX-5 which is not compatible. The interchangeability of this mirror is very very specific, it will fit some other Mazdas, specific years, and most of those cars are specific to "with" or "without" rain sensor. However on the CX-9, the 000 8C Z02 mirror applies to either with or without rain sensor, doesn't matter.
----
Again, you must confirm that part number before buying it or you will be sorry. I had a huge fight with another salvage vendor that straight up lied to me about it coming off a cx-9... they would not confirm the part number for me but swore up and down it was off a CX-9.... sure enough, when it arrived, it was the wrong application.
You have to confirm that part number.

Good luck!!

Grazie, The best price I've seen new is @ partsformymazda.com $220. I think I'll keep looking and see what shows up on ebay. ;-)

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned) - I zoomed in on the picture of the back of this mirror and am ALMOST certain is reads "0000 8C Z02" on the very bottom of all the numbers.... you may want to contact that seller see if he can confirm that. If he confirms that part number, that is the mirror you need. 109.95 is a great price.

Here is the 25.00 install kit I was talking about - (this is a "with rain sensor" install kit) https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

click on the picture that shows the back of the mirror... and then hover over the enlarged picture with your mouse to zoom in even more... and then flip your screen upside down.

Thanks hellbigtw, I've sent the seller an email and he will verify the P/N when he gets home tonight. BTW, I think I will need the 0000-8C-N02 install kit as i don't have the rain sensor.

I think the only difference in the install kit is the actual shape of the plastic wire cover from the headliner to the mirror. The rain sensor one is larger as it covers the sensor on the windshield.

Good luck, hope that is the Z02 mirror!

Seller confirmed that it is the 0000-8C-Z02 mirror so I bought it. Then I bought the install kit, 0000-8C-N02, from mazdausaparts.com (Duval Mazda in Jacksonville) for $19.85 + $3.19 sh. BTW, it looks as though there are a ton of Mazda dealers with discount internet parts businesses. Great for us!

Thanks again hellbigtw....

Awesome! By the way in case he forgets to include the set screw....bring your mirror to your local chain hardware store to find the right set screw. That's what happened to me. Your flip mirror clicks in while the nice mirror slides in and is held in place by the set screw.

Hellbigtw, Got the mirror last week and tried to bench test it today. Connected up the two power leads to the same +12vdc and connected the ground. everything appears to work except the homelink. Compass and autodim work fine. The homelink LED stays a constant green. The instructions say that the homelink LED should start to blink when holding the two outer buttons after approx 20 sec and to not hold those two buttons longer that 30 seconds. The LED never starts to blink indicating that the buttons are cleared/reset. Any suggestions?

He did include the set screw and it's in pretty good shape so I don't want to send it back.

What kind of garage door opener do you have? right now there are basically 3 kinds - 1) plain jane radio frequency 2) rolling codes and 3) the new security 2.0
The "security 2.0" is a new Chamberlain garage door opener security system..I have no idea how it works but nobody's mirrors work with it, including european and japanese cars.
I have a genie with rolling codes. I had to follow the instructions a couple times. I had to first program the mirror to the remote control for the garage door opener, and then after that I had to go into the garage, press the button on the motor assembly and then run back into the car and get the mirror to sync with the motor assembly. So basically it is programming it to both the garage door opener fob and the motor assembly as well, for rolling codes.

You said you "bench" tested it... where was the mirror when you tried this? in the garage?

Yes, in the garage. I used the wire clamps disconnected from my trickle charger connected to battery terminal in the engine bay of my Bimmer that's in the garage for the winter. I have an older Genie that's probably 12-15 years old and still going strong. The homelink in my '03 Bimmer works just fine with the door opener so I don't think that's the problem.

When you hold the two outermost homelink buttons on your mirror what happens?

hellbigtw, when you press the homelink button, does the green LED blink red? I believe that this would indicate that the homelink has power.

I'll have to look when I get home. I know there is a green light that always stays on (indicating auto dim is turned on via power button), I have the middle/center homelink button programmed to my garage door. When I open/close the garage, I press the homelink button for about a half a second. Just a tap does not work, I have to hold it in longer than just a tap. When my finger is on the button, there is a rapid red flashing light on the mirrror.
I 'll look at the lights for when i press both buttons together, later tonight. Sorry I didn't try that yet. I remember doing that to program the mirror but I'll have to check it out again.

Back