Homelink safety question

So I've noticed that my Homelink buttons are always active, even with the car off. A quick search shows that's not uncommon across many brands of cars. It's been discussed in a number of forums that can be a fairly serious security breach, especially if you have an attached garage since your window or door can be forced open if the car is in the driveway and then anyone can have access to your garage, or worse if you have an attached garage and don't lock the entry door from the garage.
Nox Vidmate VLC
My question is has anyone rigged something up to kill power to the mirror when the car is off? It seems pretty simple on paper but I was curious if anyone had done that and if so how they went about it.
driveway car has no homelink mirror and no opener gets left in it. if you kill the constant pwr to mirror wouldn't it wanna be programmed every time it pwrs up?

Last edited:
driveway car has no homelink mirror and no opener gets left in it. if you kill the constant pwr to mirror wouldn't it wanna be programmed every time it pwrs up?
I think not or the mirror would have to be reprogrammed every time you disconnected the battery or it died for some reason.

does the wifi work through your home modem/router?
Yes

Well forget that, my wifi (Comcast) goes down a lot. First time I went to pull out of the garage and the wifi was down would be the last time I'd use a garage door opener that relied on wfi.

My opener works on my wifi IN ADDITION to being on the normal electrical circuit. Not ONLY on wifi. This allows me to open my garage door from anywhere in the world... you don't need the wifi to open it when you are at home.

"Why would I ever need that?"
Fedex once delivered my wife's $1,000 iPhone a day early. Was going to be home delivery day, and Fedex doesn't like to leave phones on front porches. Got a notice at work on my phone that "Someone rang your doorbell"... pull up doorbell cam. It's Fedex. Open microphone.
Hi!
Hi, got a delivery for you!
Crap...is it a phone?
Looks like a phone, yea.
Can you put it in my garage?
(I see him look at garage) Um, it's closed?!?
One sec! *click click* =Garage door opens.
OK, putting it in there!
Thanks!
No problem!
#LivingInTheFuture

The above is exactly how mine works. No wifi for the HL controller at all. It sure is convenient to be able to open the garage from out of town if someone needs access to the house. Now that I have it, I wouldn't be without it.

The above is exactly how mine works. No wifi for the HL controller at all. It sure is convenient to be able to open the garage from out of town if someone needs access to the house. Now that I have it, I wouldn't be without it.
Not quite sure I'm following you. If you're opening your door from out of town and the HL controller is not using wifi - what's it's using?

I have an automation routine that turns the power off to the garage door opener when my home alarm is armed. It is typically on during the day since vehicle with Homelink would be gone during the day.

There is one vehicle (not the Mazda) with Homelink.

I also have remote capabilities retrofitted to a 25 year old Craftsman screw drive via a Wemo Maker and use another product called Automation Manager.

In addition use a device called the Garage Butler to keep the garage door closed after set interval or will even auto close if it gets dark outside.

In addition a camera in garage to confirm to status although two redundant contact switch methods (info available remotely) would tell me if it is closed or not.

HL only works in the car. It's the buttons on the mirror. You also download an app for your phone and can open the door via this method. It's called myQ. myQ Smart Home | Chamberlain
Don't know the internals but I would surmise you put some kind of controller in your garage that mimics your opener. When you're away and tell your phone to close your garage it sends a signal via your cell carriers wifi that instructs the controller to close the door. Sorta like having a person standing in your garage with a hand held opener and you calling them and telling them to close/open the door.
My guess not knowing actual workings of the system.

Don't know the internals but I would surmise you put some kind of controller in your garage that mimics your opener. When you're away and tell your phone to close your garage it sends a signal via your cell carriers wifi that instructs the controller to close the door. Sorta like having a person standing in your garage with a hand held opener and you calling them and telling them to close/open the door.
It works off your home wifi. No different that something like a Ring doorbell.

I have one and it works fine. I use it mainly to make sure my wife closed the garage door. She sometimes forgets if I backed her car in. :oops:

It is built into the new garage door openers these days. Both of the units I put in over the past few years have this as a standard feature. It is explained in the link I included above. The door openers are linked to your home wifi so you can monitor when the doors open and close. Very neat feature to have. Again, no connection to the HL in the car at all.

It is built into the new garage door openers these days. Both of the units I put in over the past few years have this as a standard feature. It is explained in the link I included above. The door openers are linked to your home wifi so you can monitor when the doors open and close. Very neat feature to have. Again, no connection to the HL in the car at all.
Ok, got it. If wifi is out can still open from mirror.

Correct. From the mirror or the buttons on the garage.
Not quite sure I'm following you. If you're opening your door from out of town and the HL controller is not using wifi - what's it's using?
THere was some confusion here. When he IS out of town it does need wifi to open or close the door. This is handled by the garage door opener.

Correct. From the mirror or the buttons on the garage.

THere was some confusion here. When he IS out of town it does need wifi to open or close the door. This is handled by the garage door opener.
Correct, that's what threw me when he said it doesn't use WIFI.

Sorry if that was confusing. I wrote "No wifi for the HL controller at all." above but I guess it wasn't clear enough. The wifi is in addition to the standard controls as any door opener would have. The HL just takes over for the handheld remotes.

Sorry if that was confusing. I wrote "No wifi for the HL controller at all." above but I guess it wasn't clear enough. The wifi is in addition to the standard controls as any door opener would have. The HL just takes over for the handheld remotes.
It all came clear in the wash. Good option if you have a spouse or kids that forget to close the door when leaving. I'd consider that plus some type of battery backup since we have a fair share of power outages.

It all came clear in the wash. Good option if you have a spouse or kids that forget to close the door when leaving. I'd consider that plus some type of battery backup since we have a fair share of power outages.
Yep- one of mine has a built-in back up battery as well for those situations. They seem to think of everything now-a-days.

Back