So who has a loud car????

P5wance

:
Mazda, Protege5
I have an 02 P5, about 95000 miles, purchased the car with around 62000. One of my biggest complaints with the car was how extremely loud it is inside the cabin. I don't know if my car is an exception to the rule, but I can't talk on the phone in the car.

Now granted, I did have some 215/35/18 BFG G-force sport tires on the car for most of those miles.

I recently noticed a bad metal on metal grinding noise coming from the drivers side. I didn't notice it until it wamed up probably beginning of March when I could roll my window down. I just attributed it to some rattleing the car makes.

So I went to turn my rotors the other day, and found the drivers side rear wheel bearing to be shot. It was making a horrible noise when we rotated the wheel. As well as with the wheel off of the car.

I decided to replace the entire hub.

Before I did this, I put on some stock 16" M3 wheels with 205/55/16 Falken tires. I expected a drop in noise inside the cab, but didn't really notice any.

So I finally changed the hub tonight. I took it for a test drive.

WOO WOO Wuuiii!!! (Borat)

I can actually hear!! I hear hardly any road noise. The car was not rattleing at all. I could actually hear the motor, and exhaust and that was pretty much it. I commute an hour to work everyday and I don't talk on the phone because I honestly cannot hear people. As of right now, I have no worries about hearing someone on the phone.

I feel like I forgot to attach something to the hub assembly.

Can bad wheel bearings attribute that much extra road noise, and vibrations to the car?

So, if your P5 is loud, your bearings may be shot. Who knows, I will keep you guys posted with the noise levels.

Well, the P5 has a lot more noise transmitted to the cabin than most other similar cars, but mine's certainly quiet enough for me to talk on the phone no problem. I found that after putting in a new front motor mount, a lot more engine noise gets into the cabin.

I don't have any problems talking on the phone while highway driving. Most of the noise I hear is from my mazdaspeed sport muffler. In fact, My wife had a 99 Civic, and it was very loud inside the cabin at highway speeds, especially if you sat in the back seat. It had a totally stock exhaust also. I have no complaints about how loud my P5 is.(thumb)

And yes, a bad wheel bearing can and will cause a lot of noise and vibration.

my car used to be loud, but since i changed the stock tires i can drive over 60 mph & hear my stereo too.

Mine is loud...mostly due to the CAI, Header and exhaust...

Tires and wheels make a big difference. In my Sunbird, I had 15" ARE's with Toyo's - NOISY - In my Neon, I had 17" Eagle #16's with some Nankang N1's- NOISY - and the same wheels as well as the ADR 5 spokes with the same tires I have on my P5 now...and they are way quieter...Can't remember the name of the tires...

Roads make the biggest difference though...

But, after owning my Neon...the P5 seems almost like a luxury vehicle...

P5inder said:
But, after owning my Neon...the P5 seems almost like a luxury vehicle...

yep, definately an upgrade... i feel really bad because one of my friends, his mom got their neon repo'ed... i'm not sure how many payments they had already made on it, but that sux no matter which way u cut it

i cant hear any "road noise" over my exhaust :)

no cats / straight through muffler... i *can* talk on the phone though... just not good haha

Another thing you can do if you want to cut down noise is dynamat the entire car. I have seen people do audio installs and comment about how much it really cuts the noise down in our cars. It would only cost $50-100 and an entire afternoon.

Back