So bad turbo or what?

koston33

So I started smoking today when at a stop. It doesn't happen everytime I stop. It smokes bad though. I haven't pin pointed why it smokes at some stops but not at all stops? Any ideas?mods rp, dp, ms cai, spark plugs, ap stage 2. So will a catch can solve the problem. Or will that just mask it. I have my idle rpm raised to 900 already an the PVC fix. I just want the smoking to stop.

it's caused by your RP/DP more then likely....I wouldn't worry to much...Only reason way to find out if it's that or the turbo is to put your stock DP back on and see if it still smokes. but chances are if the Turbo is going bad it will smoke ALL the time not occassionally.

Bad seals = smoke ALL the time. I smoke bad occasionally at a stoplight or any long idle period, just dumps smoke, cause im catless and full TBE... catted should alleviate some of the problem, stock 2 cat low flow setup alleviates it completely because its 2 cats burning off that oil, doesnt get out, but with any free-er flowing exhaust setup our turbos will most likely smoke due to our retarded pcv system in conjunction with retarded seals on the turbo.

a new turbo will solve the problem but for now dont worry too much, we take 6 qts of oil an oil change, we can afford to lose some xD

You know what. I think I'm going to be going back to stock. So look out for Corksport rp, dp, and ap.

Last edited:
Thats not a bad idea, it will save you from headaches down the road in my opinion...one reason why I never did a turboback.

You know what. I think I'm going to be going back to stock. So look out for Corksport rp, dp, and ap.

it's caused by your RP/DP more then likely....I wouldn't worry to much...Only reason way to find out if it's that or the turbo is to put your stock DP back on and see if it still smokes. but chances are if the Turbo is going bad it will smoke ALL the time not occassionally.
no its not caused rp/dp. the stock stuff just hides the smoke more the from the turbo because of the cats.

Just to clear up a misconception, cats don't remove or hide smoke. If cats are burning off oil like posted above, they will only contribute to the smoke. Smoke that exits your vehicle via the exhaust comes from one of two sources on a turbo car. Oil entering the combustion chamber or oil entering the exhaust/turbo. It will be interesting to see if going back to stock fixes it, but I have a sneaking suspicion it may not. I do remember a couple of speed3's over the last couple of years that just want to smoke and I attribute that to the PCV system.

BTW...Mods to car not installed by the dealer = no new turbo.

PS: Semper Fi!

Last edited:
Back