Smoking Turbo at 1K. Possible break in period? Brand new Speed 3 with Tech

desertmike680

:
06 MazdaSpeed 6
I literally just hit 1K on my odometer in which I bought my speed 3 the middle of Oct and I just noticed some smoke occuring when I down shifted it and gave it a little gas. I am very aware about the smoking turbo thread and anything related, but at 1K? Seriously? I just put a short ram on and right when I did, smoke did NOT occur, which was almost 2 weeks ago. Could this random smoking be part of a break in period? I dont drive it hard it at all. I'm more like grandma! Let me know what you guys think. Its going back to the dealership regardless.

Mike

Smoking turbo is when it smokes at idle, what you're describing is just burning excess gas when you hit the throttle. Nothing to be alarmed about and you'll get to clean all those black spatters off the back of your car from it.

Mine did it for some time, installed a catch can, working on a proper tune and it has gone away. I have also read where changing to 5W40 helps a little. You have a MS3 and you are not driving it enthusiastically, that is a shame. I did change the break in oil at 500 and again at 2000, I have been running syn 5W30 since the 2000 mark with changes every 3K.

Dealer can not fix this issue, MS3 discharges soot.

is the smoke a more white/blue-ish tint or is it a darker shade of grey/black? I work at the dealership and our "bad turbo" cars have the white smoke at idle, but if the smoke is only on revs and is more black then i would have to say your running a little rich.

Meanwhile, 8 months laterz...

is the smoke a more white/blue-ish tint or is it a darker shade of grey/black? I work at the dealership and our "bad turbo" cars have the white smoke at idle, but if the smoke is only on revs and is more black then i would have to say your running a little rich.

156 posts and only 1000 miles. No wonder the turbo is shot. yes off and on throttle is absolutely oil smoke. Turbo? maybe maybe not thank gosh for warranty

or it could be the stock tune blowing out its plume of black unburnt fuels

Last edited:
Back