SLS Motor mounts

I threw a tow rope through the lift bracket on the engine and just manhandled it into position, but you can only do that if you're close.

x2...had the SLS side mount bracket break after a month with only daily driver action.

I'll reiterate this; the bracket fractured after about 3 months for me.

The aluminum L bracket on the SLS side mount is very poorly designed (after driving it for a few months, I think the ENTIRE mount is poorly designed actually, but that's for another post).

I have AWR mounts front and rear and I would validate from my experience that AWRs products are a better product by a long shot.

Profitability aside, I'd be of the opinion that SLS shouldn't manufacture their mounts any longer unless they decide to make significant strides in redesigning the product.

I'm disappointed in their version 1.0 of the side mount; I put the OEM one back in (filled with Polyeurethane) and not worse off.

I'll reiterate this; the bracket fractured after about 3 months for me.

The aluminum L bracket on the SLS side mount is very poorly designed (after driving it for a few months, I think the ENTIRE mount is poorly designed actually, but that's for another post).

I have AWR mounts front and rear and I would validate from my experience that AWRs products are a better product by a long shot.

Profitability aside, I'd be of the opinion that SLS shouldn't manufacture their mounts any longer unless they decide to make significant strides in redesigning the product.

I'm disappointed in their version 1.0 of the side mount; I put the OEM one back in (filled with Polyeurethane) and not worse off.

Have you seen the redesigned mount? I had it recently installed and its a pretty tough mount. After nearly two weeks since it got installed, it has softened up and now feels very close to stock. Its eliminated 95% of the wheel-hop, enhanced acceleration off the line, and even made highway driving better.

I have one for sale. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123695949

Have you seen the redesigned mount? I had it recently installed and its a pretty tough mount. After nearly two weeks since it got installed, it has softened up and now feels very close to stock. Its eliminated 95% of the wheel-hop, enhanced acceleration off the line, and even made highway driving better.

I have one for sale. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123695949

Thanks, but I won't be going to back any version of that mount.

After a 6 month run time with it, I think that the fundamental design and concept is flawed; regardless of any sort of material change, welding improvement, or the like.

Wow. The mechanic who installed it said that it went in like a charm, and compared to the factory mount, I think its a hell of alot better. But to each his own.

Both of mine are still good after 10 months. I have no reason to believe that is going to change anytime soon.

My choices were to either get a new OEM mount or use the SLS mount. AWRs are WAY too stiff for a daily driver application.

If I have any more engine mount issues, I'm installing OEM mounts and selling the protege, because this whole issue is more headache than what its worth for a daily driver.

Another option for those that have broke an SLS side mount bracket is to make your own bracket.. After I broke 2 in less than 2 months thats what I decided to do.. Albeit, I havent finished yet because I just didnt care about it anymore, Im going to finish it up this week sometime.. The torn stock mount isnt holding up as well as it was..

Yeah, I just went to AWR side inserts on both sides. I'm auto daily driver. **** solid mounts on street cars. If I want to vibrate my car apart I'll buy a badass sound system so I can go deef 2, LOL.

i just got around to installing my front and side sls mounts and i am very impressed after a little scare with the side mount. I had two problems during install. At first the mount didn't line up but that was due to a slight shift of the motor, and that was solved by ratcheting it back into position but the non threaded part of the stud on the engine is longer than the l bracket on the mount, i checked the box for a spacer and didnt find one so i just stacked a few spacers on each stud until the bracet fit flush. There werent instructions and i was just wondering if i completely missed something or if everyone experienced the same thing. BTW the bracket seems like it doesnt fit quite right but it works. And i was disgusted with the stock mounts the front was completely blown and the side was very close to it
thx

I had the SLS mounts put in as I was having the clutch replaced at 91,200MI...and after a couple of weeks ripped them back out and replaced them with new stock motor mounts.

The entire engine was cocked over, the transmission side was sitting on the framerail and the mount on the passenger side was twisted.

I don't beat on the car (the fact that I got 91k out of the crappy stock clutch should mean something) so I love having my MP3 back feeling normal.

Bob

i love the way it rides with the mounts, i mean the driveshaft is perfectly straight so the engine isn't out of place and everything i was just wondering if other people ran into the same issue and if it will be alright the way it is now, i will post pics later once i find my camera

I also noticed that when the passenger mount was installed that the motor dropped down an inch or so on that side..

the main question i have is what is supposed to be done with the gap on the bolts the side motor mount mounts to the bracket is thinner than the gap. I just threw some washers on there but I was wondering if i am missing a piece or anything

I think they just included a bolt that was a little long. I used a few washers as well. Be sure to get some locktite on there though, and check them in a week or two. Mine have backed out some.

I actually went & got my own hardcore stainless bolt with a lock nut. Yes, when mine was on there I had to add a thick washer between bracket & mount so it was a stress free connection otherwise it woulda been pulled all weird to tighten it down. Yes, that was with the motor supported correctly before taking oem out. The alignment of it all bothered me too. I don't see how it could go together all nicelike with the included hardware. No worries about all the anymore tho, daily driver auto don't need no solid mounts. Inserts are just fine for that. Track car manual tranny, I'd have the solid mounts.

alright thx guys ive been thinking and i might just make my own bracket out of some thicker material

Back