SLR Camera Advice For First time buyer

is that what your saying i should get?

Yup..or whoever the thread starter was. But ya..a used midrange SLR with low actuations and good shape would be your best bet. I was going to buy a used 30D for myself but...opted to go for a new 50D instead because I could afford it and I pretty much have the lenses I really need. Plus..I am getting more and more requests to do pictures and thought I might as well upgrade. I have my own little business going now, and I can pretty much write off the camera for the business. I didn't go Nikon because I already have a lot of Canon equipment. If I didnt, I would've bought the Nikon D300.

A short review on the 50D. Still very new to me

I actually really like it. THe LCD is super sharp, the focus is fast, and this thing actually FEELS like there's something in your hands. Magnesium body. Heavier especially with a 24-70L 2.8 lens on it. The pics..you've already seen are pretty crisp and sharp. The ISO, I can actually go up in 1/3 increments like 100, 120, 160, 200, 250, etc.....all the way up to 3200.
I also like how the Viewfinder is HUGE and bright. It's actually easier to compose photos now. I actually like the wheel as well. It's easier to scroll through menus. The battery lasts a lot longer too than my XTi. It's also got 2 custom functions that you can set yourself. You can control your external flash from the menu. There's still self cleaning sensor (dunno how well it is). It also has a waaaaaay nicer and softer strap than the XTi.

DOwnside - I've had the camera stall on me 3 times already. It just says "busy" on the little display by the shutter button. I've had to pull the battery out each occasion. Maybe I'll wait for a firmware upgrade or something. It's going to be super heavy with a batter grip haha.

Cheapest I found a 30D for is round $500 which is great but it's only the body. I would need to spend another 300 bucks for a walking and a zoom lens. I'm set on my choice with the XS kit. I'm going to Cicuit City tom to see if for any reason they might have it cheaper since they filed bankruptcy and may have crazy sales. If not then when I get home im placing the order.

Thanks to all that helped me with this and went out of there way to add links etc. Please feel free to continue the thread for others that made need further info. :)

A short review on the 50D. Still very new to me

I actually really like it. THe LCD is super sharp, the focus is fast, and this thing actually FEELS like there's something in your hands. Magnesium body. Heavier especially with a 24-70L 2.8 lens on it. The pics..you've already seen are pretty crisp and sharp. The ISO, I can actually go up in 1/3 increments like 100, 120, 160, 200, 250, etc.....all the way up to 3200.
I also like how the Viewfinder is HUGE and bright. It's actually easier to compose photos now. I actually like the wheel as well. It's easier to scroll through menus. The battery lasts a lot longer too than my XTi. It's also got 2 custom functions that you can set yourself. You can control your external flash from the menu. There's still self cleaning sensor (dunno how well it is). It also has a waaaaaay nicer and softer strap than the XTi.

DOwnside - I've had the camera stall on me 3 times already. It just says "busy" on the little display by the shutter button. I've had to pull the battery out each occasion. Maybe I'll wait for a firmware upgrade or something. It's going to be super heavy with a batter grip haha.

I wanted an upgrade from my 20d and I looked at the 40d and the 50d and couldn't justify the price difference for the few extra features over the 40d. all in all they are nearly identical.

on your stalling problem, what cf cards are you using?

THe LCD is super sharp, the focus is fast, and this thing actually FEELS like there's something in your hands. Magnesium body. Heavier especially with a 24-70L 2.8 lens on it. The pics..you've already seen are pretty crisp and sharp.

So I went to Best Buy and I got this feeling as well. I held my final pickthe XS in hand and then held a 30D...holly crap. The actual hand grip is fuller and the weight is def present. It's like you said...you FEEL like there's something in your hands.

I messed with the XS a little and realized that there are SO many features that I don't even know where to begin. I also realized that there is no Live View button on the XS like in another camera I tested. Then found that you could take pics that way in Manual mode only. I think I will be placing my order tonight for it so I can have it for my trip to California in Dec. Will also look into selling the telephoto lens and going with the Sigma which has been recommended several times. I KNOW it's gonna be plenty for what I want and for the price it's ideal. I can def see once I get the hang of it more investing in something like a 40D.

Again thanks to all.

Just placed my order now...tad late 2:44am but better now than never. Total was a little over $600ish but I got the start-up DVD just so I don't have to be bothering people all the time on how to do stuff and went all out on the SD card and got a 4gigExtreme Scandisk card. I also did a 2day air UPS shipping cause i'v REALLY excited and want it already haha.

My mom reminded me my great grandfather was a pro photographer. That I should call my grandfather and ask for all his old stuff that's sitting in the basement...in VENEZUELA. So hopefully whoever comes to visit can bring some of the stuff I might be able to use...tripod? I don't think D-SLR was around then but i'm sure it would be a great feeling to put old family stuff to use. :)

My mom reminded me my great grandfather was a pro photographer. That I should call my grandfather and ask for all his old stuff that's sitting in the basement...in VENEZUELA. So hopefully whoever comes to visit can bring some of the stuff I might be able to use...tripod? I don't think D-SLR was around then but i'm sure it would be a great feeling to put old family stuff to use. :)

That's awesome. Wish I had a family.

Actually a good walkaround lens for the Canon stuff is the Sigma 18-70, Canon 17-85 IS, and a 17-55 2.8L

2.8 wide end, 4.5 @ 70mm. macro is 1:2 at 70mm too. i miss that lens

i knowww. i'd buy it in a heartbeat. the nikon versions even have hsm

So i on my vaca and i've been taking some shots...ill admit I took a few auto shots when people got tired of smiling for so long while I adjusted some of the settings. I'm in Cocoa Beach in Florida with my family.

I will be posting my Canon 75-300 (I think) on sale when I get home and looking to buy a Sigma 70-300 (I think). ONLY because you guys recommended it again why am I doing this? In addition I am having an Issues with F-stops and the use other than letting in more or less light.

So i've been enjoying my camera plenty. Only issue is that I took most my trip shots in RAW and now am having hell converting them.

I want to know what people are using to shrink down JPEG shots. Here are some pics i've taken and also a new goody I got from my friends in Mexico. They sent it as a Christmas present via FedEx. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpg
    IMG_0077.jpg
    311.1 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    531.1 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg