SkyActiv-X Review, glimpse of possibly what to expect in future CX-5s

If they get that timing wrong though. Google lspi ....... cylinder deactivation is also using existing technologies with new advances in control. Just because GM had issues with it 30 years ago doesn’t mean it can’t be reliably implemented.

Anybody wonder how come other car companies with much deaper pockets are not pursuing this technology, at least i have not heard of, given stated benefits by Mazda

Mazda Says Its Next-Gen Gasoline Engine Will Run Cleaner Than An Electric Car

Mazda is staking much of its future on the continued existence of the internal-combustion engine, with clever tech like spark-controlled compression ignition set to debut in Mazda's next-generation production-car engine, Skyactiv-X. But the automaker is already thinking even further into the internal-combustion future. Automotive News reports that Mazda is working on a new gas engine, Skyactiv-3, which the automaker says will be as clean as an electric vehicle. Speaking at a tech forum in Tokyo, Mazda powertrain chief Mitsuo Hitomi said that the main goal with Skyactiv-3 is to increase the engine's thermal efficiency to roughly 56 percent. If achieved, that would make the Skyactiv engine the first internal-combustion piston engine to turn the majority of its fuel's energy into power, rather than waste due to friction or heat loss.

To date, the most thermally efficient automotive internal combustion engine belongs to Mercedes-AMG's Formula 1 team, with an efficiency of 50 percent; AMG hopes the F1-derived engine in the Project One street-legal supercar will achieve 41-percent thermal efficiency, which would make it the most thermally efficient production-car engine in history. Automotive News says Mazda's 56-percent goal would represent a 27-percent improvement over current Mazda engines. Hitomi didn't provide a timeline for when Skyactiv-3 would reach production, nor did he specify how Mazda hopes to achieve such an improvement. Mazda's claim, that Skyactiv-3 would be cleaner to run than an all-electric vehicle, is a bold one, and requires some unpacking. Mazda bases the assertion on its estimates of "well-to-wheel" emissions, tallying the pollution generated by both fossil fuel production and utility electricity generation to compare Skyactiv-3 and EV emissions. Such analysis reflects the reality that, currently, much electricity is generated through fossil fuels. In regions where electricity comes from wind, solar, or hydroelectric, the EV would clearly win the argument, but that's not the case for many customers today. If Mazda can make a mass-production internal-combustion engine that achieves more than 50 percent thermal efficiency, it will be an incredible feat -- and would likely help guarantee the piston engine's continued survival.

Seems like a risky move continuing investing in ICE engines when other manufacturers are developing electric cars, time will tell

Seems like a risky move continuing investing in ICE engines when other manufacturers are developing electric cars, time will tell

It will be many years before battery technology reaches the convenience of liquid fuel, both the battery itself and the infrastructure to support it. Power plants, transmission, basic but very expensive items that take years to build.

It will be many years before battery technology reaches the convenience of liquid fuel, both the battery itself and the infrastructure to support it. Power plants, transmission, basic but very expensive items that take years to build.

True that but when it reaches convinience arent they goanna be behind in technology since they are not putting any R&D......i think problem with smaller companies is that they don't have funds to pursue both technologies and have to choose one....anyway I'm looking forward to X

I was really excited by Skyactiv-X, initially, but Mazda has a reputation for going down rabbit holes that other manufacturers peered into and walked away from. They usually emerge with sexy concept cars, rumors, a few mules, and nothing to market. They can't even make a Diesel CUV within half a year of their projected timeline that they can sell in America, even though they've been making them elsewhere for half a decade roughly. This CX5-D, and the RX9 rumors, are why I have zero faith in Mazda until tires hit the tarmac on the sales lot. I mean, would YOU trust a car company who can't even bring you live traffic NAV and Apple/Android carplay in 2018 to keep any promises?!?

SkyActiv X is coming - if not to USA then definitely to Europe/Asia/Australia etc. We all have their diesel model(s)

To be fair not all UK cars have AA, BMW for one.

I was really excited by Skyactiv-X, initially, but Mazda has a reputation for going down rabbit holes that other manufacturers peered into and walked away from. They usually emerge with sexy concept cars, rumors, a few mules, and nothing to market. They can't even make a Diesel CUV within half a year of their projected timeline that they can sell in America, even though they've been making them elsewhere for half a decade roughly. This CX5-D, and the RX9 rumors, are why I have zero faith in Mazda until tires hit the tarmac on the sales lot. I mean, would YOU trust a car company who can't even bring you live traffic NAV and Apple/Android carplay in 2018 to keep any promises?!?

Anybody wonder how come other car companies with much deaper pockets are not pursuing this technology, at least i have not heard of, given stated benefits by Mazda

Mazdas potential to designinnovative engines, even with their limited amount of resources is absolutely outstanding. They actually wanted to give up on the project several times before settling with a spark controlled version of their idea.

Diesel: very difficult to bring to North American market

Rotary concept: even more difficult to bring to North American market

To be fair, The concept version of the 2014 Mazda 6 (called the takeri) ended up looking almost the same as the actual production version, so I have faith that Mazda will bring that sexy sky concept to market within due time.

They are a small company... give them some time. They need to tap into profitable markets first such as crossovers and 4 cylinder compacts first before being able to do something big.

Back