Sirius install a rip off?

:
MSP & MS3
Called Tweeter/Best Buy/Circuit City... they all said the same thing. $50 for the tuner, $50 for the antenna and a WHOPPING $100 for the installation!!! W..T..F SIRIUS??? Remember when directv was just getting off the ground in the 90's? Like today, they offered promotions out the wazoo for free equipment and installation all in the name of getting business. I'm not asking for Sirius to pay the labor (because that would make their business even less profitable than it already is... not good for the 10k stock I have) however, it's mind blowing to think that there are obviously millions of people out there spending upwards of $200 just for the "priveledge" of being locked into yet another monthy fee.

Anywayz... I probably wouldnt' be as pissed if I hadn't just shelled out $250 to have my truck fixed. Nontheless, what do you guys think? I gotta get Sirius! (in more ways than one) but I can't siriusly (I'm such a tool) see spending $200 for equipment and installation.

if i were to do it myself... sure, I'd get it working but I don't really think I'd attain the tight/quality look that a professional (at tweeter for example) could hook up for me. I mean, these antennas go on the rear deck right? how the hell am I gonna run the wire back there? tear apart my car? run it underneath? lol F that!! I just got word that tweeter has new pricing on installation... $50! for 50 bucks I'll let them do it. aint worth the hassle.

CHICO2003 said:
if i were to do it myself... sure, I'd get it working but I don't really think I'd attain the tight/quality look that a professional (at tweeter for example) could hook up for me. I mean, these antennas go on the rear deck right? how the hell am I gonna run the wire back there? tear apart my car? run it underneath? lol F that!! I just got word that tweeter has new pricing on installation... $50! for 50 bucks I'll let them do it. aint worth the hassle.
HONESTLY IT IS VERY SIMPLE TO INSTALL, I DID IT MYSELF ON SUNDAY IN THE SNOW AND IT ONLY TOOK AN HOUR

you guys make this seem so easy! maybe I'll give it a shot... not to sound like an incompetent wuss or anything (even though I clearly am) I've never hooked up anything like this and dont' really want to get in over my head. I mean... if I can get it for $50... as I said, I'll do that. $100 on the other hand... well, I guess that'll mean I'm installing this pup myself.

Right now at most retail stores most of the new units like at Best Buy or Circuit City are at $150.00 with a 30 Mail-in-Rebate (That the Audiovox SIRPNP3, JVC KTPK2000, DEI Sportster. I know for a fact that the installation at Circuit City should be 50.00 bucks NOT $100, they are charging you too much or adding stuff to it, I work at a Circuit City here in Miami and I charge 50.00 for the install everytime and if the customer wants I charge a $19.99 for mounting bracket for a more "clean" look. As far for installation, the antenna are so small that they can be mounted in the front of your dash in the car and not have any complication with your signal. You might want to look in buying a FM Modulator, Sirius makes one for certain units which I can remember with ones (look it up in Sirius.com) for 20 additional dollars and it improves your signal a WHOLE lot. listen to your radio with the wireless first and then decide if you want modulator. Also Audiovox has one for 49.99 which is the FMM100A and that works well too. You pick up any Modulator as long as it works on 12 volts not like the gay Delphi that works on 6 Volts.

Hope I helped,

BY THE WAY
the charge at circuit city should be: SKU -- "INS DSRRF"

they probably did "INS DSRRF + INS DSRANTENNA"

you should go back to the store and rub in there face and told them you called or went else where for the price.

I hate thieves, and circuit city doesn't even work on comission anymore

interesting... thanks for your insight. I have a sirius ready head unit and wouldn't be using any type of fm modulator (instead, I'd have it hooked up to the auxillary port/cenet connection... hopefully that provides the best signal) as far as mounting an antenna on the front dash. lol nah! that just sounds cheezy to me. it seems like everyone charges different prices and that, for the most part, everyone is booked up. unfortuneatly for me, the ONLY place around here that has an opening isn't budging on the $100 installation price. (bastards!!)

Sirus runs free promotions all the time. We have had a few at tweeter a year ago that if you bought a head unit, tuner and antenna you;d get the install for free. Later they changed it so you only had to buy a tuner and antenna and you;d get the install for free.

If the stores aren't running a pramotion on it, its because its selling well right now. Wait a month or so and keep an eye out for sirus promotions.

You run the antenna wire through the weather stripping on the outside and throughout the ceiling in the car. Not hard.

Mr Magnum said:
Right now at most retail stores most of the new units like at Best Buy or Circuit City are at $150.00 with a 30 Mail-in-Rebate (That the Audiovox SIRPNP3, JVC KTPK2000, DEI Sportster. I know for a fact that the installation at Circuit City should be 50.00 bucks NOT $100, they are charging you too much or adding stuff to it, I work at a Circuit City here in Miami and I charge 50.00 for the install everytime and if the customer wants I charge a $19.99 for mounting bracket for a more "clean" look. As far for installation, the antenna are so small that they can be mounted in the front of your dash in the car and not have any complication with your signal. You might want to look in buying a FM Modulator, Sirius makes one for certain units which I can remember with ones (look it up in Sirius.com) for 20 additional dollars and it improves your signal a WHOLE lot. listen to your radio with the wireless first and then decide if you want modulator. Also Audiovox has one for 49.99 which is the FMM100A and that works well too. You pick up any Modulator as long as it works on 12 volts not like the gay Delphi that works on 6 Volts.

Hope I helped,

BY THE WAY
the charge at circuit city should be: SKU -- "INS DSRRF"

they probably did "INS DSRRF + INS DSRANTENNA"

you should go back to the store and rub in there face and told them you called or went else where for the price.

I hate thieves, and circuit city doesn't even work on comission anymore

Magnum is right on the install price for Circuit, though I believe it is $60 outside the Florida market, pricing does vary for reagion to region. However DO NOT let anyone every put the antenna on you dashboard. These unit work from line of sight to the satellite and having the roof blocking 50% of this is dumb. Yes, it might work and you may never experience drop outs but why risk it when it only take about 15 minutes more to do it right. BTW it is expresly forbidden by Circuit to put the antenna on the dash. That was part of the training that every installer had to go through with regards to satellite radio when it came out. I had to do the training for four stores when it was first rolled out since my shop never had problems with our installs of satellite.

Remember, the harness between the HU and the tuner is already there...you just have to find the end of it behind the side carpet in the trunk. The tuner mounts in the trunk over the right wheel well underneath the carpet. Then you run the antenna wire along the underside of the trunk lid (using double-sided tap), and mount the antenna right there on the outside of the trunk lid where it meets the rear window. Now, some people mount theirs on the back dash, but something about my window tint causes reception problems

i have the avic-n1 and my local shop put the attenna for the navigation on my dash and it works flawlessly...but then again it is three satellites right? while xm/sirius is 2. But i dunno, reception seems perfect for me on the dash, however, when i get xm i'm gonn have them put it on my roof if they charge me money lol. Make em work for my cash.

Thug541 said:
i have the avic-n1 and my local shop put the attenna for the navigation on my dash and it works flawlessly...but then again it is three satellites right? while xm/sirius is 2. But i dunno, reception seems perfect for me on the dash, however, when i get xm i'm gonn have them put it on my roof if they charge me money lol. Make em work for my cash.
XM has a ton of analog ground repeaters in the more populated areas to deal with drop-out problems and tall buildings. Seeing as you are in New York I'll bet that you are mostly running on the repeaters. Sirius is mostly line-of-site so it has more of a problem with being mounted inside. I've run both and installed too many, while I was still in the business, and have seen enough problems that were due to interior mounting of the antenna that I wouldn't ever do it. Just too much of a headache when it comes back.

Back