Single Turbo Advice/Recommendations TO4S?

i have a 94 rx7 and i came to find that my twins will be going out pretty soon. i know for sure the first one is still in working condition, but the second one im not sure of.
im looking for a single that will give me more power than my stock twins, and will give me enough for the 1/4 mile and daily driving.
id like to be pushing 11's but the only concern i have is if i will have alot of lag.
right now in my rx i have basics:
midpipe, downpipe, exhaust, intake, apexi pfc, greddy fmic, koyo radiator, act clutch/flywheel, dual pulley kit, tial bov.
i should be running mid 12's tuned but if im going to upgrade ill wait on the tuning.
ive heard alot of talk about the TO4R and the TO4S, also to add, i will be getting a whole new fuel system.
any recommendations about single turbos please let me know

something like the GT35R can give you good response and low lag but still give you about 100 more wheel hp than the stock twins can.

KYLiquid said:
something like the GT35R can give you good response and low lag but still give you about 100 more wheel hp than the stock twins can.

i just came across that one when i was searching today. does it compete with a TO4S or TO4R??

it wont make as much power as the t04r series of turbo, those will flow enough to make over 500whp, the t04s (a 60-1 turbo with a t04s cover) and a GT35R will make about the same power, at about the same boost, and do so SAFELY on pump gas....... Thats about 400whp@1 bar (15psi) and about 450whp with more boost.

Spool will be near the same, with the GT35R hitting full boost at about 3000rpm and the "t04s" hitting full boost by about 3500 or less........assuming your on a stock port, a street port will lower the spool slightly and let you make a bit more power.

The GT35R will make the power delivery very similar to stock twins run non-sequential, but you will be making more power at the top end.....

KYLiquid said:
it wont make as much power as the t04r series of turbo, those will flow enough to make over 500whp, the t04s (a 60-1 turbo with a t04s cover) and a GT35R will make about the same power, at about the same boost, and do so SAFELY on pump gas....... Thats about 400whp@1 bar (15psi) and about 450whp with more boost.

Spool will be near the same, with the GT35R hitting full boost at about 3000rpm and the "t04s" hitting full boost by about 3500 or less........assuming your on a stock port, a street port will lower the spool slightly and let you make a bit more power.

The GT35R will make the power delivery very similar to stock twins run non-sequential, but you will be making more power at the top end.....
wow, thank you so much for all your info about the turbos. i believe ill end up with the gt35r

the gt35r is a great match to a stock engine rx7 or a street-port rx7, it can make 400whp@1bar of boost on pump gas, and with a street port make almost 450whp@1bar of boost on pump gas, boost comes on early and really pulls from ~3000 to redline. It really makes it a fun street car.

KYLiquid said:
the gt35r is a great match to a stock engine rx7 or a street-port rx7, it can make 400whp@1bar of boost on pump gas, and with a street port make almost 450whp@1bar of boost on pump gas, boost comes on early and really pulls from ~3000 to redline. It really makes it a fun street car.
sounds perfect. another problem occured this past weekend though...theres some type of pressure in my radiator lines, and water/coolant is coming out of the resevoir. i checked the thermostat, and it was fine for awhile, but then it messed up again. a friend of mine told me to check my spark plugs and if there is water in them, then the motor is gone.
so much for a single turbo.

surfin_roxy196 said:
sounds perfect. another problem occured this past weekend though...theres some type of pressure in my radiator lines, and water/coolant is coming out of the resevoir. i checked the thermostat, and it was fine for awhile, but then it messed up again. a friend of mine told me to check my spark plugs and if there is water in them, then the motor is gone.
so much for a single turbo.

so your saying your coolant overflow tank is......overflowing?

do you notice your temp gauge read above normal....is the coolant discolored at all? did you remove the AST (air seperator tank) or replace it with an aftermarket unit?

any more info you can give us on the problem?

are you running stock radiator? do you still have/use A/C.....ect.

KYLiquid said:
so your saying your coolant overflow tank is......overflowing?

do you notice your temp gauge read above normal....is the coolant discolored at all? did you remove the AST (air seperator tank) or replace it with an aftermarket unit?

any more info you can give us on the problem?

are you running stock radiator? do you still have/use A/C.....ect.
there was alot of pressure in the hoses and the resorvior had coolant coming out of the top hole [cause all the pressure] than later the car wouldnt turn on and there was nothing but smoke out of the exhaust [smelt like bad gas]
a friend of mine worked at gotham racing and he told me to check my spark plugs first to see if there was water in them. well i did that and there was water in all 4. came to find out the motor is gone. we have to take it out and crack it open to see if it can be rebuilt.

Sorry to hear about your motor! If you're interested though, I have a full Greddy T-78 kit for sale. Turbo, mani, wastegate, downpipe and lines.
Turbo was recently rebuilt by Majestic turbo. asking $2500

Blitzkid said:
Sorry to hear about your motor! If you're interested though, I have a full Greddy T-78 kit for sale. Turbo, mani, wastegate, downpipe and lines.
Turbo was recently rebuilt by Majestic turbo. asking $2500

thanks for the offer, i wont be getting a single till later on, but once i get back on track ill see if you still have it or not. im focusing right now on my stereo system...my dad owns a car stereo shop and he needs the car this month for his booth in a show, so instead of focusing on getting it to run, its all about the sound system. *sigh* i just want to drive it so bad. :(

You should let it marinate in it's sexyness in the showroom and get an fc. When new money comes around build it again

Back