Side Moldings

lazybones

:
2003 Mazda Protege5
I've been reading up a lot on here that the P5 looks awesome without the side moldings. I'm thinking of removing mine, but my only concern is if I remove them, what is the paint underneath going to look like? I'm worried I'll spend all that time removing the moldings just to be pissed off if there's like a bad paint difference or something, seeing as the car is 8 years old. So, to people that have done it, how'd it look?!

from what I've heard, unless you have massive paint fading issues, there's no noticeable difference.

ill suscribe to this thread cuz im wondering the same thing for the past year haha !!

my paints not the best and when I pulled the moldings off all the adhesive stayed on the car so it took me forever to get that off but it looks good! paint underneath was better lol but you can only tell if you look close

As long as it's not too bad, a good buffer will match it pretty good.

I took mine off last summer and there wasnt any noticeable difference in the paint, but the adhesive is a pain to remove.

I was thinking about it, but then realized the important role it had it holding my rusty bits together :D.

I took mine off last summer and there wasnt any noticeable difference in the paint, but the adhesive is a pain to remove.

The hotter it is outside (or use a heat gun) the easier the adhesive comes off. A little GooGone gel gets the remainder off quickly.

The driver's door side molding on my P5 is starting to separate from the door - about 5 - 6 inches. I want to try removing them. What's the easiest way of getting them off without damaging them or the body?
Edit: I'm reading the how to - I'm after your opinions. Thanks.
Edit no. 2 - NVM, reading the how to covers just about everything. =)

Last edited:
Ha yeah, all the "how-to's" are really informative. I've just been wondering if there's a visible line from paint difference once they're taken off. But so far most are saying not so much.

When I did mine it was 90+ and i still had to use the heat gun...but the adhesive still wouldnt come off the door unless i scrapped at it with my fingernails and used a huge bottle of GooGone.

I even tried the fishing line method that i read on here before to no avail. But after all the hard work, the end results are well worth the time spent.

CIMG1348.jpg

without side moldings

and jean i bet its way easier to wash !!! i always miss spots under that darn door bumper haha

i can't wait to remove my side moldings... getting my 3m adhesive cleaner tomorrow! nice to see a couple of NB boys with slick P5s. i'm from NS originally. cheers!

Back