side molding hard to get off?

patsfan4life

:
1999 Mazda Protege LX
I know there are probably 1000 threads about this, but its a quick question. I took the molding off my doors, but the sticky tape is on the doors. I bought some sticker/goof off type stuff from the autostore but it defintately isnt working. What can i use to dissolve this b**** of an adhesive?

patsfan4life said:
I know there are probably 1000 threads about this, but its a quick question. I took the molding off my doors, but the sticky tape is on the doors. I bought some sticker/goof off type stuff from the autostore but it defintately isnt working. What can i use to dissolve this b**** of an adhesive?

Take whatever remover you bought and use a sponge to dab it on the glue and let it soak in for about a min, the top layer will be partiallty disolved and easy to scrape off. Just take a bit off one layer at a time and it will come off. I used a plastic decal applicator to scrape the stuff off, anything plastic with semi-rounded edges will take if off without scratching the paint. Always a good idea to do a good wash and wax afterwards.

Edit: Hell, come by my place and Ill take it off lol.

img3803vw3.jpg

You can get this at Napa. Also, as was mentioned, get a plastic scraper of some sort to help remove the adhesive. Make sure you let the adhesive remover soak thoroughly in order to have an easier time removing the adhesive. Good luck.

Last edited:
well just an update...i up them back on. For one reason only, last year when i got in an accident the body shop repainted my right passenger door...well apparently they didnt take the moldingoff when they painted-so when I did there were globs of paint and clear coat under it. It would take a major sand and repaint job for it to look right.

patsfan4life said:
well just an update...i up them back on. For one reason only, last year when i got in an accident the body shop repainted my right passenger door...well apparently they didnt take the moldingoff when they painted-so when I did there were globs of paint and clear coat under it. It would take a major sand and repaint job for it to look right.

Well, the body shop didn't do their job properly.

hell no. i curse that god forsaken place everyday i look at my car. they dontk now how to do anything, but it was go there or have the car totaled by the insurance...i didnt wana lose my car

I've been working on removing the glue off mine for at least a good year

(screwy)

But when i get home this weekend im taking a old credit card to it and hoping for the best.

yea. thats whay i did. old card and that 3M stuff works really well. just keep soaking the glue with the sponge and it will come off with a little work.

good results in the end.

Back