Side mirrors with turn signals

Trey169

Anyone remove their stock side mirrors and add the ones with the turn signals in them? If so, is it easy and is it already pre-wired? I want to do this upgrade, but do not want to have to deal with running any wires.

I have GT with signal side mirror.
However, I modified my wife's Prius and installed signal mirror. Assuming that there is not much difference in design on this, I can tell you what was involved in my mod of Prius.

No. The mirror was not pre-wired.
Running the wires thru the rubber boot (connecting the door and body) was the most challenging part of the installation - some grease or oil will help a lot!
Electrically it was very simple. Connect the red wire (power) to signal light (or equivalent - if not found - run it all the way to the tail light - use a signal tracer or get a wiring diagram would also help). Connect the black wire (ground) to any grounding point I could find. (Hint: there should usually be one inside the kick panel next to foot well.)

Pricing-wise, it will be costly if you want to buy the entire set of signal mirrors and throw away the current ones. With my Prius, there was a guy selling side mirror "cover" only. The covers came with LED signal lights. Therefore, I kept the old side mirror base and popped the old cover and replace it with LED cover. The cost was much less (around $100 if I recall correctly). As I said, running the wire is difficult if you don't enjoy it. The space is tight if you don't have the right tool to run the wires thru the rubber boots.

Send me PM if you want to know more.
It took me 2-3 hours for both sides. Trying to overcoming the rubber boot on the 1st door takes time.
Once you get the hang of it, the second one comes naturally.

Last edited:
I have a Sport. The wiring is NOT in the mirror for the Turn Signals.

I have to take my door apart tomorrow, so I can look for a signal inside the door for that, if you want.

I just confirmed that the turn signal IS present in the door. There is a connector that mounts in the Mirror Bulkhead that the Mirror cable plugs into. The CAR side has more wires that the Mirror side, so I tested the connections. There is a lead for the turn signal there. The Mirrors with the turn signal in them will plug right into that connector and work just fine.

Not sure I understand what you are saying, but that is probably due to my lack of knowledge with wiring.

So if I buy the mirrors with the turn signals in them, then there is a connector inside the door where the wires from the new mirror with be connected to?

Yes. When you remove the inner cover to expose the mounting bolts, the connector is right there, snapped into the bulkhead. The first photo shows the connector in place. The second shows it pulled out of the retainer.

Snap the inner cover off.

Remove the connector from the retainer. Then separate the two halves.

Unbolt the old mirror, and remove it.

Fish the new mirror wiring harness through the hole, and set the mirror in place.

Bolt the new mirror on, connect the wiring, and snap the connectors back into the bulkhead.

Replace the cover.

Turn Signal Mirrors!

Attachments

• CX9 Mirror Connector.JPG
    CX9 Mirror Connector.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 348
  • CX9 Mirror Connector Removed.JPG
    CX9 Mirror Connector Removed.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 319
This makes a lot of sense since the signal mirrors are OE.
In my Prius case, there was no OE signal mirrors. The extra signal cover was aftermarket. Therefore, ad hoc wiring is needed.
Trey169, don't worry. If you don't mind the cost, Mazda accessory always comes with good instruction. Now, go find the ones that will sell them to you at the lowest price.
Try
mazdaparts.org
waynemazda.com
parkmazda.com
Those are the known ones that offer fair internet prices.
Don't forget to include S&H also and Tax when you compare.
Good luck.

From my work shop manual I see 8 pins in the connector on the car side.
(2, 3, 3) formation. The right-most three are used to control glass movement (up, down, left, right). The left-most two are used for heating glass. The top/bottom of the center column are used for BSM (blind spot monitoring). There is no mentioning of the middle pin of the center column. It COULD be for turn signal and share the ground with other signals. Anyhow, I think the OE mirror should comes with a connector, and plug-n-play.
Just FYI.

Thanks for the help. I already ordered them through mazdaparts.org, so they should be here next week. I will let you know how the install goes.

It seems since I bought my CX-9 I have been obsessed with doing upgrades, most of them simple ones since I got an AWD Sport model. I think now that I have done headrest DVD's, remote start, tinted the windows and a HID kit, I am done after the side mirrors with turn signals go in....that is until someone comes out with a double din kit for the CX-9

From the research I did, and I will have to double check, there is a connector that lets you retain the steering wheel controls. Anyways, the stereo/Navigation upgrade is something I am not to concerned with..I am happy with the ones I have done so far and will save myself some money from here on.

The cool factor of an in dash touchscreen navigation/DVD..I know that is stupid, but again it was just something I was looking into, not definate on. I am extemely happy with what I have and definately need no more...but I do like to look at the other options out there and I am sure one day I will at least want to upgrade the stereo system

Trying to do the same with my 2012 Sport, but...

I'm trying to replace my mirrors with Turn Signal Mirrors for my 2012 Sport. I just confirmed that it IS pre-wired in the door, up to the bulk-head connector, but no power for signals are coming even if you turn on the signal.
I checked to see if any fuses associated with it but I don't see anything like that in either fuse boxes in the engine room, or even behind the cover in the compartment in front of the passenger seat.
Does anybody know how to "power them up"? If there is no fuses, then I assume these existing wiring are not connected to the front (or back) signal cables, and end-capped somewhere?

If possible, I'd like to avoid wiring up by removing the door panel. Thanks in advance for any input here.

Have you looked at the stalk on the steering column to see if the are open connectors there? I would imagine there are.

Latest posts

Back